You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter of discontent

littletedwest

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Got some at a Shell garage on Speke boulevard. Neigbour tipped me off. £30 limit. 

It wouldn't be so bad but there aren't nearly as many petrol stations as there were 20 years ago. 

Likewise the schools, half of them have closed in Liverpool over the last few years. I'd love to walk my kids to school but we didn't get into the two nearest ones so we have to drive otherwise I'd be taking my 3 and 7 year olds on two buses and a walk while somehow getting to work and back from the school. 

This is a major problem in Knowsley too. Primary schools aren't too bad, we've three of them within walking distance, but the 2 nearest secondary schools are both around 4 miles away (and both shite, but that's another story).

We take my eldest daughter to school sometimes, but most of the time she uses public transport, but it's 2 buses each way. There did used to be a free school bus, but the trust which runs the school decided the kids round here didn't warrant getting to school safely and for free!

The public transport is also expensive, and a lot of the time packed beyond belief. There are occasions when the buses drive past the kids at the stop.

Cycling is also a no no, the roads are dangerous and there's barely a cycle lane to be seen.

An integrated transport system throughout the Liverpool City area is desperately required but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It's almost like the supposedly low skilled workers aren't the baddies after all. Who'd a thunk it?

Exactly. As with Covid and key workers Brexit has proven the essential worth of low skilled labour, a worth that had been taken for granted for decades.

They're starting to panic a bit now with 3 month visas and fast track courses for HGV drivers, yet my lad put his forms in 3 weeks ago and is still waiting for any sort of acknowledgement.

The DVLA is a fucking shambles, but with a bellend like Shapps as Transport Secretary,  we can't really expect anything else.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

They're starting to panic a bit now with 3 month visas and fast track courses for HGV drivers, yet my lad put his forms in 3 weeks ago and is still waiting for any sort of acknowledgement.

The DVLA is a fucking shambles, but with a bellend like Shapps as Transport Secretary,  we can't really expect anything else.

How stringent is the medical for that?

22 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

How stringent is the medical for that?

Pretty thorough. He's passed the medical, but the application for the licence so he can start the training is still in the system and you can't get through to them for an update.

The DVLA is so far behind it's ridiculous. My 3 year medical renewal is nowhere to be seen and my licence expired a fortnight ago.