You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter of discontent

littletedwest

16 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I think you are misreading me here Karl. I am saying we live in a society obsessed and over reliant on cars. That's why I gave my own examples of expense and inefficiency of alternatives. I think an upshot of this however is that alternatives aren't even considered. Like would it kill you to take a bus for a couple days why this mini crisis is going on (well, evidently you can Karl!)?

The buses are dogshit in MK as well, we have a low population density so they go all over the shop on their routes. I still take them sometimes and put up with the inconvenience. 

I don't think I am mate and I fundamentally agree, I'm just trying to understand why that is. Society is obsessed with cars, and more specifically individual ownership of cars, but the alternatives are poor, so people don't use them. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Talked to a taxi driver this morning who's tried 6 petrol stations this morning, and they're all empty. We were at Tesco mather Avenue this morning - the scheduled delivery last night didn't appear and they haven't had any notice when it's turning up. 

It would help if they put limits on how much people can take. 

Got some on queens drive last night  and there was a £30 limit which obviously was being ignored.

8 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

This is mainly a psychological phenomenon of mass media induced hysteria. Only 1% of petrol stations were actually shut last week then the media picked up the story and caused panic buying hence creating actual shortages. Fortunately there is a finite amount to how much most people can stockpile petrol within their fuel tanks so within a couple of days it should calm down.  Weird phenomenon all the same. 

I think the fact that there is genuinely a shortage of drivers and empty shelves are now commonplace,has without a doubt, had an impact.

21 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I don't think I am mate and I fundamentally agree, I'm just trying to understand why that is. Society is obsessed with cars, and more specifically individual ownership of cars, but the alternatives are poor, so people don't use them. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Our public transport is overpriced, unreliable and at times unsafe. It's one of the many things other countries do far better than we do.

The British are fundamentally lazy too. We live opposite a school and the catchment area can't be that big in terms of distance, yet the road is jammed with 4x4s every morning and afternoon, all determined to get as close to the actual door as they can, often to a comedy degree. If they could park in the classroom they would.

• Upvote 3

Got some at a Shell garage on Speke boulevard. Neigbour tipped me off. £30 limit. 

It wouldn't be so bad but there aren't nearly as many petrol stations as there were 20 years ago. 

Likewise the schools, half of them have closed in Liverpool over the last few years. I'd love to walk my kids to school but we didn't get into the two nearest ones so we have to drive otherwise I'd be taking my 3 and 7 year olds on two buses and a walk while somehow getting to work and back from the school. 

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Nah, he’ll avoid a winter of discontent because the UK is full of apathetic cunts. 

Boris will save christmas.

He'll have the army in town squares handing out christmas packages of essential goods and all will be well with the world. He'll do a few words to camera with his sleaves rolled up before going to Mustique for a fortnight for some 'High level work, the hard stuff, you don't know how hard this work is' kind that only somebody as great as he is able.

And people will rejoice for they only had to queue for an hour or so to recieve this great beneficence.

We'll have never had a christmas so good and Boris gave it us and he saved christmas.

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Our public transport is overpriced, unreliable and at times unsafe. It's one of the many things other countries do far better than we do.

The British are fundamentally lazy too. We live opposite a school and the catchment area can't be that big in terms of distance, yet the road is jammed with 4x4s every morning and afternoon, all determined to get as close to the actual door as they can, often to a comedy degree. If they could park in the classroom they would.

I don't think that's true, if anything it's the opposite. We place too much emphasis on work, which has a knock on effect. We do longer hours than most, eat shit because we don't have time to cook properly, put up with exorbitant public transport costs to commute, spend less time with our kids and feel obliged to answer work emails outside office hours. It's little surprise everyone's shit scared of running out of fuel and school drop offs look like Han Solo doing the Kessel run. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Boris will save christmas.

He'll have the army in town squares handing out christmas packages of essential goods and all will be well with the world. He'll do a few words to camera with his sleaves rolled up before going to Mustique for a fortnight for some 'High level work, the hard stuff, you don't know how hard this work is' kind that only somebody as great as he is able.

And people will rejoice for they only had to queue for an hour or so to recieve this great beneficence.

We'll have never had a christmas so good and Boris gave it us and he saved christmas.

Incredible isnt it?

It's like someone shooting you,then taking you to hospital and saying they saved your life.

Just imagine if this utter shit show was happening under a labour gmnt.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Incredible isnt it?

It's like someone shooting you,then taking you to hospital and saying they saved your life.

Just imagine if this utter shit show was happening under a labour gmnt.

Most people seem to spend more time imagining how bad this would be under Labour than how bad it actually is under this government. It's incredible mental gymnastics to absolve themselves of blame for voting for the Torys.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RedKnight said:

Most people seem to spend more time imagining how bad this would be under Labour than how bad it actually is under this government. It's incredible mental gymnastics to absolve themselves of blame for voting for the Torys.

Quite how labour are not making more of this is frankly bizarre.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I remember when the Tories got in in 2010 and I was genuinely terrified, I knew a few working class people who were made up (the type who go on about scroungers, but who got their houses thanks to being handed the deposit by their mum and dad).

It baffled me as, like me, they'd grown up in the 80s. It was a time of deprivation, with the NHS on its knees, widespread poverty, towns full of rough sleepers, schools and other infrastructure falling to bits. Sound familiar? 

They're thieves pure and simple, they exist to move public money into private hands, for which they're then rewarded in donations. With privately owned journalists acting as their public relations arm to deflect and reposition criticism. They're gangsters in cravats, an occupation army.

People's ability to forget and ignore the actual evidence of their eyes and ears is quite incredible.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I remember when the Tories got in in 2010 and I was genuinely terrified, I knew a few working class people who were made up (the type who go on about scroungers, but who got their houses thanks to being handed the deposit by their mum and dad).

It baffled me as, like me, they'd grown up in the 80s. It was a time of deprivation, with the NHS on its knees, widespread poverty, towns full of rough sleepers, schools and other infrastructure falling to bits. Sound familiar? 

They're thieves pure and simple, they exist to move public money into private hands, for which they're then rewarded in donations. With privately owned journalists acting as their public relations arm to deflect and reposition criticism. They're gangsters in cravats, an occupation army.

People's ability to forget and ignore the actual evidence of their eyes and ears is quite incredible.

Police paying off 2nd mortgages on holiday homes in Cornwall by helping attack working class’s ability to stand up for itself during the miner’s strike. I think people knew it was a fight then and went all in but “what chance have you got against a tie and a crest?”. 

9 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I suppose you could also argue

C/ Media coverage either ignoring or not accurately conveying what Labour is putting across

Maybe you could, but apart from PMQ's, Starmer doesn't seem to land any punches. That's if he throws them in the first place.

Hat's off to Rayner though for calling them scum and refusing to apologise until Johnson does for the homophobic, racist and misogynistic remarks he's made.

Such double standards from the Tory ministers bleating on about it.

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

Maybe you could, but apart from PMQ's, Starmer doesn't seem to land any punches. That's if he throws them in the first place.

Hat's off to Rayner though for calling them scum and refusing to apologise until Johnson does for the homophobic, racist and misogynistic remarks he's made.

Seems to be far less coverage about a Tory MP saying a bomb should be delivered to Analese Dodds' office, in Brighton no less.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'd guess that every single one of those fuckers would be the first to bleat on about 'free speech' when one of their own is fingered for taking the piss out of Muslims, single mothers, immigrants, fuzzy-wuzzies, toothless northerners or whatever section of society they're looking down at and blaming things on at that particular point in time.

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Seems to be far less coverage about a Tory MP saying a bomb should be delivered to Analese Dodds' office, in Brighton no less.

I agree with you about Media coverage being biased towards the Tories.

All the more reason to shout louder.

Sooner or later something has to get through. It's the duty of the opposition parties to make sure it does.

10 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

This is mainly a psychological phenomenon of mass media induced hysteria. Only 1% of petrol stations were actually shut last week then the media picked up the story and caused panic buying hence creating actual shortages. Fortunately there is a finite amount to how much most people can stockpile petrol within their fuel tanks so within a couple of days it should calm down.  Weird phenomenon all the same. 

What's really weird is that it's happened before and neither the industry nor the Government could be arsed preparing to mitigate against it.