You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter of discontent

littletedwest

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I fucking hate the human race. There are very few people in it I actually give a fuck about.   This was a fucking molehill problem turned into a mountain by selfishness, cuntishness and downright stupidity.   I would hope it would make people open their eyes to how despicable this government is but nah.  Teflon fuckers that lot.  

Whilst the country is full of fuckwits ,we are governed by absolute cunts who have actively engineered a situation where we have empty shelves and a shortage of essential drivers.

The perfect storm.

I can already see how this plays out.

It ends in two ways either Alex ‘fixes Christmas’ a problem entirely of his own creation and collectively breath a sigh of relief. ‘We’ are just happy it’s not as bad as it can be and are happy to just have a little rest bite from the unrelenting shitfest, ‘they’ exalt him as a saviour and double down on their support even though he’s responsible for the whole mess in the first place through his complete unsuitability to the role.

Or, the army are on the streets, to provide logistical support and act as a deterrent for anybody getting to uppity through their sheer presence.

Neither were in any way an option or an ideas that would ever in most worst case scenarios be actualised.

This is Johnson’s Britain and it’s broken.

6 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

How do you know there’s only one vacancy per advert? 

How do you know there is? I'd say the clue is in the word 'vacancy' for each advertised location and not vacancies plus the distinct lack of use of plurals throught the adverts.

If they had hundreds of vacancies they'd state how many positions to fill in each location especially as they only want candidates who live 'within 1 hour travel time' of the advertised vacancy.

This is mainly a psychological phenomenon of mass media induced hysteria. Only 1% of petrol stations were actually shut last week then the media picked up the story and caused panic buying hence creating actual shortages. Fortunately there is a finite amount to how much most people can stockpile petrol within their fuel tanks so within a couple of days it should calm down.  Weird phenomenon all the same. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

This is mainly a psychological phenomenon of mass media induced hysteria. Only 1% of petrol stations were actually shut last week then the media picked up the story and caused panic buying hence creating actual shortages. Fortunately there is a finite amount to how much most people can stockpile petrol within their fuel tanks so within a couple of days it should calm down.  Weird phenomenon all the same. 

Talked to a taxi driver this morning who's tried 6 petrol stations this morning, and they're all empty. We were at Tesco mather Avenue this morning - the scheduled delivery last night didn't appear and they haven't had any notice when it's turning up. 

It would help if they put limits on how much people can take. 

Got £25 for the missus this morning, still had to queue.  I’m  ok as I work from home and cycle loads. 
bloke in the petrol station said there was no problem until the media got hold of the story and ran with it. The human race truly is a dense, selfish species.   

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Got £25 for the missus this morning, still had to queue.  I’m  ok as I work from home and cycle loads. 
bloke in the petrol station said there was no problem until the media got hold of the story and ran with it. The human race truly is a dense, selfish species.   

The Liverpool Echo was revelling in it the other day, live tweeting queues and generally whipping up a frenzy. 

I'm not even blaming the public (mostly) - the media are scum and I wouldn't trust this government to run a bath, never mind a country. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The Liverpool Echo was revelling in it the other day, live tweeting queues and generally whipping up a frenzy. 

I'm not even blaming the public (mostly) - the media are scum and I wouldn't trust this government to run a bath, never mind a country. 

Exactly.  What was a minor issue has been turned into a fucking major one because of scaremongering by the media and a complete shower of cunts in government and now all stations on drying out it will take longer to rectify.

i only went this AM as she does an 18 mile

round trip every day for work otherwise I’d have waited until later in the week.  

Recent events in my life have really emphasised the over reliance on cars in society. An off peak train journey from Milton Keynes to Preston cost £35 when I was at uni, its now £100. An anytime ticket is £325, first class an eye watering £600+. It's a 2.5 hour journey. 

I was heading that way to get to a wedding in the lake district. From Preston the ceremony was an hour away by car. I left at 10:00 and used taxi/train and bus and arrived at 13:30.

Some people are panicking because they genuinely and desperately need a car at all times, others because they can't fathom the prospect of using public transport or a bicycle. A lot of entitlement going on. 

17 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Others because they can't fathom the prospect of using public transport or a bicycle. A lot of entitlement going on. 

I hadn't used public transport much at all for years until I started at Uni.

Having experienced the so called "service" provided by the Tyne and Wear Metro on a daily basis it amazes me how anyone can live with using it year on year. It's absolutely fucking shite.

A couple of times over the last 10 years I've looked at using the train for a long distance journey in a circumstance when I've thought I'd rather not have to drive somewhere and back on the same day. Every single time it was considerably cheaper to drive and I either just swallowed having to drive or got a cheap B&B or hotel room which on top of fuel was always still £80+ to do. 

I don't even consider looking at a train journey these days as I know it's always way more expensive. 

Entitlement is harsh Rem, you've identified the problem with public transport in your post! I try and use public transport as much as I can but it's so inconvenient and expensive that I do default to the car more than I'd like and whenever it's me and the wife (and the dog) it's a no-brainer in terms of cost. A round trip to Hull, to see my folks, costs more for one person than half a tank of petrol. It's £70 for two of us to travel 50 miles on a train. Forget the current fuel issue, if we want to decarbonise the economy (and let's be honest, it isn't going to happening under the shower in charge) then public transport needs to be electrified, cheap, accessible and convenient. It's a long, long way off that. £100 person for a 2.5 hour journey is a luxury that many people can't afford.

Cycling too - you have to be a brave, experienced cyclist to cycle far in Sheffield. The topography makes it difficult but the infrastructure is appalling and, in places, dangerous.

I'm 100% behind reducing the over reliance on individually owned, fossil-fuel burning cars (I, genuinely, eagerly await automated electric vehicles) but the alternatives aren't good enough.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Entitlement is harsh Rem, you've identified the problem with public transport in your post! I try and use public transport as much as I can but it's so inconvenient and expensive that I do default to the car more than I'd like and whenever it's me and the wife (and the dog) it's a no-brainer in terms of cost. A round trip to Hull, to see my folks, costs more for one person than half a tank of petrol. It's £70 for Yeo of us to travel 50 miles on a train. Forget the current fuel issue, if we want to decarbonise the economy (and let's be honest, it isn't going to happening under the shower in charge) then public transport needs to be electrified, cheap, accessible and convenient. It's a long, long way off that. £100 person for a 2.5 hour journey is a luxury that many people can't afford.

Cycling too - you have to be a brave, experienced cyclist to cycle far in Sheffield. The topography makes it difficult but the infrastructure is appalling and, in places, dangerous.

I'm 100% behind reducing the over reliance on individually owned, fossil-fuel burning cars (I, genuinely, eagerly await automated electric vehicles) but the alternatives aren't good enough.

My point is public transport is becoming too expensive and inefficient to be an alternative but some people won't even get as far as looking into it because a bus is beneath them. 

Fair point about bikes, Milton Keynes is a great place for cycling as we have redways (cycle paths) everywhere, I hate cycling in other cities. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Remmie said:

My point is public transport is becoming too expensive and inefficient to be an alternative but some people won't even get as far as looking into it because a bus is beneath them.

But that's exactly the dichotomy. I don't think public transport is beneath me but fucked if I'm paying quadruple the price every time two of us make a 3 hour round trip.

Even more locally, it costs £4.20 for me to travel to town and back on the bus, £16 for a week, and it's a 3.5 mile trip each way. I used to pay for a weekly pass and thought it was pretty good value but the daily ticket is relatively expensive, especially when you can park in town all day for £5 and it's infinitely more convenient and, recently, less Covid-y. I now get the bus one day a week and cycle the other day or two I'm in the office. Covid has further worsened the public transport system and made cars the go-to choice for most. 

Sheffield's public transport has barely progressed in the 15 years I've been here, the tram network, once one of the best in the country, lags behind those in Manchester and Nottingham which have had big recent investment and expansion. The buses are inconvenient, require more planning than they should and take longer to get to town than driving does.

Sure, there might be some 'entitlement' but the alternatives to driving are quite widely poor. Cycling and public transport might be good in MK but you're preaching from a position of relative fortune to many, many others. 

• Upvote 1

I think you are misreading me here Karl. I am saying we live in a society obsessed and over reliant on cars. That's why I gave my own examples of expense and inefficiency of alternatives. I think an upshot of this however is that alternatives aren't even considered. Like would it kill you to take a bus for a couple days why this mini crisis is going on (well, evidently you can Karl!)?

The buses are dogshit in MK as well, we have a low population density so they go all over the shop on their routes. I still take them sometimes and put up with the inconvenience. 

8 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Social media doesn't help, a handful of extra people on the forecourt and they're posting pictures saying look at all the sheep panic buying. 

People see that and think shit I need to fuel up before it runs out. 

Wouldn't surprise me if the government do this shit on purpose as a distraction. 

Boris's Broken Britain. Stick that on the side of a bus, you three-word-soundbite obsessed cunts.

It looks like the dire warnings in the Yellowhammer document are coming home to roost, although the government (can we still call them that, given how shit they are at actually governing?) have the convenient cloak of the Covid crisis to detract from any suggestions that this shitstorm is, at least in part, a result of Boris's Brexit Britain.

• Upvote 2