You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Three at the back

Sparky

I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks in anticipation of all our midfielders getting injured this season, and now they have I thought I'd put it out there. Given that we now have four decent, fit CBs for a moment is there any sense in considering a back three for some games? We've scored 6 goals from corners this season and Van Dijk and Matip have had 18 shots between them. Add Konate into the mix and that could be quite a potent weapon. They're all decent carriers of the ball from the back, also.

I think it'd suit Robertson/Tsimikas and Trent just fine and Fabinho plus one (Henderson or Thiago, ideally) would be resolute. My worry would be the link from that midfield to a 'flat' front three. I think it works well for Chelsea as they have Mount and Havertz to play in that area ahead of the midfield but behind Lukaku. Maybe if Firmino was dropping deep it'd work.

Probably all moot because I can't see Klopp going for it, though didn't we play a back three in one or two games a few seasons ago? I'm happy for the many cleverer than me to explain why it'd ruin our press or nullify Trent or whatever I haven't considered, but it seems like something that might be quite useful for the odd European away tie or something.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I've been thinking about this for a couple of weeks in anticipation of all our midfielders getting injured this season, and now they have I thought I'd put it out there. Given that we now have four decent, fit CBs for a moment is there any sense in considering a back three for some games? We've scored 6 goals from corners this season and Van Dijk and Matip have had 18 shots between them. Add Konate into the mix and that could be quite a potent weapon. They're all decent carriers of the ball from the back, also.

I think it'd suit Robertson/Tsimikas and Trent just fine and Fabinho plus one (Henderson or Thiago, ideally) would be resolute. My worry would be the link from that midfield to a 'flat' front three. I think it works well for Chelsea as they have Mount and Havertz to play in that area ahead of the midfield but behind Lukaku. Maybe if Firmino was dropping deep it'd work.

Probably all moot because I can't see Klopp going for it, though didn't we play a back three in one or two games a few seasons ago? I'm happy for the many cleverer than me to explain why it'd ruin our press or nullify Trent or whatever I haven't considered, but it seems like something that might be quite useful for the odd European away tie or something.

Klopp has said before that he doesn’t like the system IIRC. I think the argument is when we have dominant centre halfs and Fabinho in front of them, our full backs are already playing like wing backs. 

I do like the 3-5-2 system with a libero and number 10. Don’t think we quite have the players for it, as we don’t have an elite number 10 and with most centre backs being very good on the ball, the libero role has ceased to exist sadly.

3-4-3 on the other hand with two wingers and two wing backs I think is a bit odd. I know Milan won the scudetto with that system under Zacherroni but it just seems awkward to me. I think it works for Chelsea because both Mount and Havertz are natural 10s.

Klopp doesn't like the 3, and as said we can already fulfil that shape tactically with Fabinho dropping in.

We almost play 2-3-5 alot of the time anyway.

It does seem to be working for Chelsea at the minute, but, fuck them

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

For us he was.

Babb was excellent in the 94 World Cup though, a much higher level than Scales ever reached, and probably had a better career on the whole.

Babb won many more international caps than Scales and, as you say, played in the World Cup. Scales won the FA Cup when it was still a massive achievement. I think Babb might have won the league with Sporting Lisbon, though I’m not sure how many games he played.