You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Basel offer career lifeline to Karius 

TLW

Loris Karius could be close to finding a new home with Swiss club FC Basel registering an interest for the goalkeeper.

It has been a very difficult last few years for the German, stemming from the calamitous performance against Real Madrid in the 2018 Champions League final.

Loyal to a fault, even Jurgen Klopp knew the time was right to invest in a high quality keeper hence spending a then World Record figure of £66 million on Alisson and that decision has proven to be a masterstroke.

But for Karius the tumultuous period continued on loan in Turkey where in total contrast to Klopp, the Keeper was often criticised by his manager Senol Gunes with this quote after a 3-2 victory against Konyaspor the tip of the iceberg in March 2019.

"He was at fault for the goals.

“Karius has gone a bit stagnant, something is wrong with his electricity, motivation, enthusiasm for the game."

“If I still had (back up keeper) Tolga I'd play him.”

Gunes left Besiktas for the national team job at the end of the 2018/9 season, but the two year spell in Turkey went from bad to worse for Karius and he eventually had to terminate his own loan due to unpaid wages.

image.png

Any chance of a return to his homeland would bring greater fortunes was dashed when he barely featured last season for Union Berlin where he was backup for Andreas Luthe.

When he got a run of games in February after Luthe suffered an injury, Union Berlin manager Urs Fischer made it perfectly clear that there would be no permanent deal.

“I don't see why a debate should break out, from my point of view there is no discussion."

With no future prospects at Liverpool, Karius is currently in Football limbo.

However there could finally be light at the end of the tunnel with Teamtalk (via Bild) reporting that Basel are closely pondering a deal for the gloveman.

It is believed that the two parties were close to striking a deal in the summer but broke down to Karius not agreeing to personal terms.

But there is a belief that the Swiss club will come back in January and with no other options for Karius on the table, an agreement could be on the cards.

And while it wouldn’t be a eye watering figure in any sense, The Reds would get a fee for him before his current contract expires next summer.

While the Liverpool career of Karius is eminently forgettable, it will be nice to see him turn the page on what has been a extremely challenging period and make the most of his career.

View full article

I know loads slate the lad but I feel for him or indeed any pro whose career crashes so publically. Said to one of my mates when talking about Alli after the Palace game that I always thought Jurgen promoted Karius to number 1 far too early especially when Mignolet was in form (and yes, I know it was only a matter of time before he dropped a bollock as well).

Karius tended to look overawed by the occasion of playing for Liverpool and I can point to a number of games when he cost us. But he's remembered most for his Champions League final performance. People go on about Ramos literally throwing Mo out of that game and yet generally ignore the forearm smash he did on Karius.

That clearly affected him and no one is convincing me he's rolling a ball onto Benzema's toe if he's not concussed. He had no chance with Bale's worldie overhead kick and yes, the one that went through his hand just compounded the situation.

People then zoomed in on some social media posts and pictures as is their want. Karius needs to move on. Whether he ever rebuilds his career is open to debate and certainly his last couple of managers dont really seem to have done much to rebuild his confidence.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I never understand the “he should just want to play” sure he’s made a load of money from us but would anyone be willing to take a pay cut, when on a guaranteed contract earning what you will

likely never earn again.

add to this he seems completely shot at the top end of football, he’s last couple of loans have been awful and he’s probably down at league 1 level these days. I can understand him hanging on.