You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brentford (A) - Sat 25th Sep 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

Just now, Colonel Bumcunt said:

On merit, I'd play Tsimikas.  His crossing is unbelievable.  I don't want to read too much into the Robertson thing, Trent was equally as bad in some ways, but both full backs struggling is something we've not seen for a long while.  

At least with Trent he'll often pop up with an assist.  Robertson on the otherhand well  Crap for most of last Season, shit in the Euros and shit so far this Season.  He's giving Mane a run for his money.

• Upvote 1

A bit of a perfect storm for Brentford in that so many of our players were not at the races especially at the back, and by going long and early they were negating our ability to press high and squeeze the pitch, nearly every second ball and bounce was favourable to them, AND they made the most of the relatively few chances they had.

Even when we play the more direct PL teams like Burnley, they are more about defending their penalty area, letting us have the ball and launching it long on the counter.

It's not a game that defines anything for us, but it is a wake-up call that being at the races is the real key to us getting something from games that are tight.

I just think we were too casual ….two years ago, Fabinho would have put his foot through their first, Virg would have cleared everyone for their second, and Joel wouldn’t have been so half arsed for their third.

it wasn’t just their goals though….Mo should have slotted away his casual chip and too many back heels around their penalty area…even from Hendo. The 1st half of 19- 20 would have had none of this complacency.

on the plus, Ivan Toney is a future Liverpool number 9.  Imagine him feeding through the two wingers with his clever flick ons, plus his finishing, movement and pressing. Plus he’s a boyhood Liverpool fan, even from Northampton.

• Upvote 3

Had an hour (and a few beers) to digest that result.  Disappointed we didn’t win. Relieved we didn’t lose.  Mo makes it four and we’re all in a better mood.

C’est la vie. On to Porto and twatting Citeh.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Who's going to take them? We haven't had a great direct Free kick taker since Coutinho left.

Mo and Thiago when fit. Trent is just wasteful…aka Roberto Carlo and Ronaldo…everyone remembers the rare occasions when he scored. 

even Curt, who I thought was brilliant today. He gives us someone extra.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Had an hour (and a few beers) to digest that result.  Disappointed we didn’t win. Relieved we didn’t lose.  Mo makes it four and we’re all in a better mood.

C’est la vie. On to Porto and twatting Citeh.  

I’ve took a step back as well and I have to say I think it was one of the all time stinkers. Terrible performance that we need to get out of our system double quick.

Thought even though we had the usual more possession they bullied us a fair bit.
Our defence picked a bad team to have an off day against, it’s true Curtis Jones was asleep on the first goal, but then that was compounded by Robertson not stopping the cross and Fabinho not realising how close the guy who scored was to him. 

Both the second and third goals came from crosses being put in from the right side unopposed and them overloading us on the back post to win the ball and create the two scoring chances. Ordinarily I would say that surely Robertson, Mane and one of the DM’s might have stopped the crosses coming in, but I also think Alisson should boss his 6 yard box more given his size and agility and get a punch to crosses like the one that led to their second goal.

We did enough pressing from midfield, especially in the second half, and played some slick stuff to create opportunities, but not for the first time we missed so many score-able chances and I’ve banged on about this in the past, we score shitloads, but we also miss shitloads.

However, overall it was an exciting game, Brentford showed a lot of guts and, probably deserved something, but really we shouldn’t be dropping two points against them.

Let’s hope we don’t regret those two points at the end of the season.

Think Klopp said before the game 90% wouldn't be enough to beat the team and so it turned out. Half our team, mainly in defence, were not at their best for whatever reason and that meant we conceded three goals. Far play to Brentford who kept going and were effective in how they attacked us, but we had enough chances to put the game to bed.

• Upvote 1

They got a bit lucky with a couple of their goals with those scrambles but good on them for having a go. I thought Curtis Jones was well off the pace despite his goal and Fabinho not anywhere near his best,also VVD is not quite there. Robertson is frustrating the fuck out of me too. He gets into so many great positions and does fuck all with them. Its easy to see why people are pushing Tsimikas inclusion,although he's not as good a defender as Robbo. Just too many players off their game today.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Brentford are still surfing a wave. Sadly they will get a couple of injuries, someone will thrash them and they will cave for the rest of season.

Fair play to them- well deserved 

Yeah, agree with that. The ‘Oooh, no big club will fancy coming here now,’ narrative is always a bit false too. They won’t be as casual as we were. 

14 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Who's going to take them? We haven't had a great direct Free kick taker since Coutinho left.

It wouldnt be so bad if Trent tried to vary them, lay them off for someone to run onto and hit but, we all know he goes for the up and over the wall job.

To be fair, this is something the coaching staff should be working on. Our corner kicks are poor in my opinion and, Tsmikas has been a breath of fresh air when he takes them.

• Upvote 1