You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brentford (A) - Sat 25th Sep 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

I’m not reading much about this one cause it came during an awesome weekend away and even though there was clearly loads we did poorly, I watched it in a happy mood and thoroughly enjoyed a great match so don’t want to bring myself down letting myself feel the inevitable (and probably appropriate) negativity, but I thought it important to share some entries from Mental Gareth’s team of the week, who annoyed himself by selecting Salah, and picked Henderson because he couldn’t let himself pick anyone else (anyone).

He also picked the Villa keeper Martinez, not for any saves he made, but for duelling with the person that didn’t take the penalty that was missed (not saved) in the last minute.

Wonderfully odd fella…

Henderson: Liverpool's draw at Brentford was an extraordinary game to watch and yet I was struggling to find a player to select for my team. The match was littered with mistakes and moments of occasional brilliance. 

I refuse to select defenders who concede three goals at home or away and strikers who miss more chances than they score - although I have to make an exception for Salah - which leaves me with Jordan Henderson. 

Liverpool keep trying to write this lad off but when the Merseysiders hit the buffers, and they did against Brentford, Henderson is the one player they can depend on to see them through the crisis. An exceptional professional.

Salah: I'm almost irritated by my own selection. By Salah's standards, this was a poor performance from the Egyptian superstar. 

He probably scored the easiest chance of the match. However it's very difficult to ignore a player who has scored 100 Premier League goals faster than any other Liverpool player in their history. It's a magnificent achievement even if the performance against Brentford wasn't one of his best. 

Ten of the 11 Brentford players have played in every game this season and that is why they will eventually struggle to survive this season, although I think they just might make it.