You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brentford (A) - Sat 25th Sep 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

Still feels like a hugely disappointing result and it was a very worrying defensive display....

A little chance to open up a little bit of daylight at top albeit so, so early.....imagine going 3 clear of the cheats and then beating them next week - suddenly it is 6 pts even this early....even an extremely unwanted loss next week had we won yesterday would mean we'd be level with them - now a loss next week and we are looking at 2 pts behind them and probably Chelsea and Man Utd.

Ok it is only potentially 2 pts and it will be a mere 7 games in, but these days the ask to win the title is just so much more than it used to be and points dropped feel much more costly than they used to do.

All that said though every single title winners in history have dropped points away from home to teams that they should have beaten and that will be the case this year as well.....whether  it is Man City, Chelsea or us that end up winning the league.

Next 3 games we need to be really on it, feels like a crucial little spell with tough games...

Man City for obvious reasons including not going into the break for international shite on a low and then the tricky early kick off slot after the shite break away at Watford possibly without Alisson and Fabinho......followed by Man Utd away...which follows a trip to Atletico.

Those two points dropped yesterday would have been very handy ahead of such a run, we need to bounce back now in a tricky run.

Chelsea have what looks like a nailed on 9 pts from next 3 as well....their next 5 actually look easy...although as we saw yesterday it never always works out that way.

Let's get back to winning ways v the cheats and kick on again.

11 hours ago, stringvest said:

I thought the back four were all pretty poor today, as were Henderson and Fabinho.  Time after time TAA was outmanned after a long ball, and Henderson did absolutely nothing about it.  He just pootled about in the middle of the park while we were under the cosh. Piss poor.  Bringing Firmino on, who clearly has been training without a ball, was a massive mistake when we were so exposed. Too much space in front of our back four, no closing down, and very sloppy in the final third.  Brentford were very good value for their point.  Lovely ground too.

Bringing Firmino on for Jones when we were still chasing the win might have made sense. Once Curtis scored, going ahead with the substitution was just daft. Should have just left it as it was or swapped Jota for Milner.

• Upvote 3

Bad habits being acquired by some.

Trent, for example, is drifting into a dangerous Beckham state of madness where he will keep making the wrong decisions in the belief that at some point they'll suddenly become the right decisions. That free kick that is just outside the area is a case in point: He always tries to whip it over the wall and then dip down below the bar in spite of the fact that he clearly can't do it. He's just too close. Surely the others can see that even if he can't??

Robbo: he needs reminding he doesn't ALWAYS need to hit an early cross. Sometimes there's so much space ahead he may as well run into the area, have a shot or play a quick pass. He hits some good crosses but he's stopped looking and now just keeps his head down and concentrates on getting the ball into that certain area regardless of what other options are on.

Then there's Mane. Bloody hell.

• Upvote 2

Manes pass to Jota when he fired it at him chest height from about 5 yards away was a bit mad.

As has already being mentioned Klopp I don’t think reacted to them sticking players up against Trent and crossing deep into them. 

Robbo was poor as well didn’t stop crosses coming in against us.

Taking Jones off after the goal was just silly.

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

A day later, I have less blame for the players. How Klopp didn't change anything to slow down the aerial assault is a little nuts. Just sat there watching the back four get outnumbered and dominated. 

Other than bringing Lovren (laughs) on and having 5 at the back tactically I can’t remember Klopp changing anything when it’s looked obvious what we were struggling with.

Nice moment from yesterday's game. My lad went with one of his mates (who has a couple of Brentford season tickets) wearing his Liverpool top under his jacket. As Curtis was walking around past the home fans when he got subbed, you may have noticed him laughing. This was because, in the midst of the stick he was getting from the home support, my lad frantically waved to get his attention. Curtis looked right at him and instead of the expected abuse, my lad thought it would be funny to blow him a kiss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Bringing Firmino on for Jones when we were still chasing the win might have made sense. Once Curtis scored, going ahead with the substitution was just daft. Should have just left it as it was or swapped Jota for Milner.

Here's what Klopp says.

Screenshot_2021-09-26-17-38-51-44_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-26-17-39-10-37_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Here's what Klopp says.

Screenshot_2021-09-26-17-38-51-44_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-26-17-39-10-37_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Love Jurgen but nah. We'd just gone 3-2 up and in my opinion, we needed someone on to assist the two centre backs who were being split all game.

I wouldnt have put Bobby on in that situation. There again, if Mo had of scored that lob or Bobby had laid on a goal, we'd all be saying Jurgen got it spot on.

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

A day later, I have less blame for the players. How Klopp didn't change anything to slow down the aerial assault is a little nuts. Just sat there watching the back four get outnumbered and dominated. 

agreed, but there are players on the pitch who can take responsibility to try to plug the obvious gaps.  The fact that they chose not to really pisses me off.  No-one wanted to take the responsibility to do it.  Henderson did nothing apart from one cross - just watched play happening around and behind him.  Oh, some pointing.  I forgot about the pointing.

24 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Love Jurgen but nah. We'd just gone 3-2 up and in my opinion, we needed someone on to assist the two centre backs who were being split all game.

I wouldnt have put Bobby on in that situation. There again, if Mo had of scored that lob or Bobby had laid on a goal, we'd all be saying Jurgen got it spot on.

it's bollocks as well.  Firmino gave the ball away plenty.  More than Jones did in the whole game.

I thought Henderson was excellent for most of the game but faded while Fabinho started poorly but improved. Fabinho and Henderson are automatic starters,when fit,but the third choice still has the jury out. Thiago will get that spot of course but we need these lads to stay fit and develop a good understanding on the pitch. We just seem short outside of those three given Keita and the Ox have wasted enough chances and Jones,while talented,is just not quite good enough to be a regular. It's a bit of a riddle this season,we have the bodies but the quality outside the regulars is questionable. I still regard Elliott as much like Curtis Jones at the moment,when fit.

It was definitely 2 points dropped having lead twice. Nothing to get overly concerned about though imo.  Defensively we were not great but I think we'll be fine over the course of the season. I'm more worried about the attack and its wastefulness. Mane & Firmino's form has been a concern over the last 12 months, does Klopp trust Chamberlain, Minimino, Origi to step up as alternatives and what will happen in January when Mane & Salah leave for a month on ACON duty.