You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brentford (A) - Sat 25th Sep 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, agree with that. The ‘Oooh, no big club will fancy coming here now,’ narrative is always a bit false too. They won’t be as casual as we were. 

I remember a similar game losing at Bournemouth 4-3 with virtually last kick of game a few seasons back.

Since I think we have won every trophy in world football while they sold lots of players and eventually went down 

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree Ronnie. This talk of Brentford being 'dogshit' is way off the mark in my opinion. Our poor defending and it has to be said, finishing let us down today.

Absolutely Docker. On a different day, we could have won by a few. On a different day, we could have lost. One of those days. We nick a goal in injury time and suddenly it's "stuff of Champions" talk.

Agree completely we have only ourselves to blame. We'll have more of those days, just as City, Chelsea and United will. We just need to have less of them than the others.

Looking at City, they have had the hardest start and we really need to put a bit of daylight between us and them next week. We owe them one. 

• Upvote 2

The intensity wasn't there and although Brentford aren't very good, we can't get away with that against that type of team. That was basically our first eleven, minus Jones. Too many players not at the standard needed.

Mane played well last week, but he's shit 4 out of 5 games now. Robertson needs to be pushed by Tsimikas. van Dijk, although we are trying to pace him, has to get his physicality back. He was always a cool customer kind of defender. That isn't gonna work anymore if he can't run and jump as well as he used to. He got handled today. Trent, too nonchalant. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Not the end of the world .

Thought we were very casual and there was a whiff of arrogance about us all day. Surely TAA's days as free kick taker are under threat.

Ha ha , just seen JoeBuck's post

I think Trent is awful at free kicks. 

17 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Absolutely Docker. On a different day, we could have won by a few. On a different day, we could have lost. One of those days. We nick a goal in injury time and suddenly it's "stuff of Champions" talk.

Agree completely we have only ourselves to blame. We'll have more of those days, just as City, Chelsea and United will. We just need to have less of them than the others.

Looking at City, they have had the hardest start and we really need to put a bit of daylight between us and them next week. We owe them one. 

Today was a wasted chance to do this though. We had a lead twice and let it slip, that isn’t the stuff of champions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Today was a wasted chance to do this though. We had a lead twice and let it slip, that isn’t the stuff of champions. 

Sorry what I meant was if we nicked it 4-3 in the last minute it would be "stuff of champions".

Today wasn't good enough. We were poor for what we should be and Brentford stepped up a few notches and deserve credit for that. We should expect 6 points off them, but if you aren't at it, you can drop points, no more than City last week against Southampton.

I think the league will be competitive enough this year in the sense that it won't be two or three teams getting 97 or 98 points. I think all the teams will drop silly points.  

On Brentford, I actually could see them getting another big scalp. A crowd giving it an FA cup style atmosphere and a team that seems well organised and more than the sum of their parts. Yeah City or Chelsea could go there and hit them for five or six. Equally, who knows...

1 hour ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Look at the table you dweebs

Exactly. We could have LOST that game we were so awful at the back, but we held for the point, playing some great great attacking football - classic fluid Liverpool at speed second half AND...our so called rivals in Chelsea and Utd floundered at home on the same weekend.

We safely dodge a bullet to go top.

34 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's the table at the end of the season which counts. We've played 1 decent side and 5 Championship-level sides, of course it's going to make us look good.

So, we're fucked yeah?  OK, I'll just tune out then, and check the table at the end of the season, to confirm that.

1 hour ago, DJLJ said:

It was.  Luckily though, it's football and there are lots of games, and we get the chance to do that, directly, next week.

If we can beat City next week, I might be able to look back on today as an exciting game and a hard fought point.

It beats losing 2-7 to Villa, at any rate.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

No, that’ll be his right foot.  Criminal to be so one footed in the premier league.  He was terrible today.

He's been poor for a while now. His assists have dried up and they always used to more than make up for the weaknesses in his game. 

• Upvote 2

I thought the back four were all pretty poor today, as were Henderson and Fabinho.  Time after time TAA was outmanned after a long ball, and Henderson did absolutely nothing about it.  He just pootled about in the middle of the park while we were under the cosh. Piss poor.  Bringing Firmino on, who clearly has been training without a ball, was a massive mistake when we were so exposed. Too much space in front of our back four, no closing down, and very sloppy in the final third.  Brentford were very good value for their point.  Lovely ground too.

Disappointing performance. I thought the entire back 6 (including Fabinho and Alisson) were sub par. Toney had the beating of Joel, and Virgil was very subdued. Our full backs got outfought and offered very little going forward. Mane’s poor run of form continued, it’s been more than a year now since we saw a genuine world class performance from him. Despite the misses Jota and Salah were our two best players. It’s a bit disheartening as others than Thiago, that was meant to be our best XI. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Einch said:

Never got to grips with the overloads at the back post. Done twice with at least two more where we did defend the ball in better.

Really disappointed that the manager didn’t do something about it, and pissed off that the captain didn’t take responsibility and sort it out instead of letting TAA get mugged every few minutes

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The intensity wasn't there and although Brentford aren't very good, we can't get away with that against that type of team. That was basically our first eleven, minus Jones. Too many players not at the standard needed.

Mane played well last week, but he's shit 4 out of 5 games now. Robertson needs to be pushed by Tsimikas. van Dijk, although we are trying to pace him, has to get his physicality back. He was always a cool customer kind of defender. That isn't gonna work anymore if he can't run and jump as well as he used to. He got handled today. Trent, too nonchalant. 

That’s not our first 11.  Tsimikas, Thiago and Elliot are in our best 11. 

• Upvote 1