You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brentford (A) - Sat 25th Sep 2021 (5:30pm)

Trumo

And so on to our latest meeting with a Premier League debutant. Brentford had been knocking on the door for promotion for a couple of years, with a mobile and prolific front three that was probably the most highly effective unit outside the top flight. It even had its own name - BMW. Benrahma, Mbuemo and Watkins. Mbuemo is still there but Brentford sold the other two at the beginning of last season for about £50m combined. They added the very effective Ivan Toney and finally earned their place in the top tier. They've even spent money on a brand new stadium, moving away from their very lower-league-old-school Griffin Park - a stadium best known for having a pub at every corner of the ground, and for being right below the Heathrow flightpath. The new place is just a short distance away.

Balls. Energy. Experience. Skill. Know-how. Nerve. Effervescence. Endeavour. Shooting boots.

I don't ask for much.

Brentford are far from regular opponents for Liverpool down the years. We last met them in a couple of cup ties in the 80s but for league action, you have to go way way back to before the Second World War to find our last league win at Griffin Park. It was March 1938, and the reds beat their London opponents 3-1 thanks to goals from pre-war goal machine Jack Balmer, Alf Hanson and debutant Jimmy McInnes. Somebody named Hopkins replied for The Bees. I can't find Youtube footage (I was hoping for an old Pathe news reel narrated by Mr. Cholmondley-Warner, but no such luck). Not even a photo from a newspaper cutting. It was a top flight game though, and not because it was near the old London Airport.

The top film that mid-March 1938 week was the musical western The Girl of the Golden West, directed by Robert Z. Leonard (best known for the Oscar Best Picture-winning The Great Ziegfeld two years earlier) and starring Jeanette MacDonald (who?) and Nelson Eddy (again, who?). The plot is described as "A frontier woman falls in love with an outlaw." What else can I say? Stringy is the probably only one who paid tuppence to watch it at his local fleapit. Interestingly, the last match thread featured a film about the final frontier, and this one features a film about what many people see as the first frontier. Anyway, there is a trailer of sorts on Youtube.

Another early-evening Saturday fixture, against a team that have generally looked bang up for it this season. Sort of like Sheffield United two years ago. They even have the same kit. We basically know what Thomas Frank's side are going to try and do. Be physical and hope the ref is favourable. They will look to give it a go in front of their fans, just like they did in their first game against Arsenal. The thing is, we are not Arsenal (thank fuck for that, fam!). We just need to ignore all that and do what we know our players can do. Get it, get the goals and get out with the 3 points. As ever, be that single-minded about it. Oh, and more precise with our finishing of course.

• Upvote 7

I think Klopp will start Tsimikas for this game and save Robbo for Porto away. Only reason that the sub last night made any sense. 

Alisson; Trent, Matip, Virgil, Tsimikas; Fabinho, Henderson, Milner; Salah, Mane, Jota

if Trent isn’t fully fit, Jones in for him and Milner back at RB.

It's important to remember that the number one "hot pop" song on the date of the afore-mentioned league match at Griffin Park (only 18 months before Germany marched into Poland in Hugo Boss gear and kicked things right fucking off) was Stringvests smash-hits poster boy, Californian pianist, big band leader, and radio and television personality Horace Heidt with this death metal, acid remix Ti-Pi-Tin which spent 6 weeks on it's perch, making Bing Crosby reach for the valium: 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The top film that mid-March 1938 week was the musical western The Girl of the Golden West, directed by Robert Z. Leonard (best known for the Oscar Best Picture-winning The Great Ziegfeld two years earlier) and starring Jeanette MacDonald (who?) and Nelson Eddy (again, who?). The plot is described as "A frontier woman falls in love with an outlaw." What else can I say? Stringy is the probably only one who paid tuppence to watch it at his local fleapit. Interestingly, the last match thread featured a film about the final frontier, and this one features a film about what many people see as the first frontier. Anyway, there is a trailer of sorts on Youtube.

Very young Jed Clampett as the singing blacksmith there.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

I think Klopp will start Tsimikas for this game and save Robbo for Porto away. Only reason that the sub last night made any sense. 

Alisson; Trent, Matip, Virgil, Tsimikas; Fabinho, Henderson, Milner; Salah, Mane, Jota

if Trent isn’t fully fit, Jones in for him and Milner back at RB.

Be more inclined for Robbo to play this one & Tsimikas v Porto. Robbo must start next Sunday v City for me, Keep him fresh for that. 

16 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Dreading this game

We struggled against Brighton last year, both games. I think part of the reason was their setup. We generally struggle/don’t do as well against 3-5-2. I wonder if Klopp will mix it up, and play a different formation fo counter that e.g., 4-4-2, to create a bit of an overload outwide, and still have the numbers up front. We certainly have the players for it. 

Alisson; Trent, Matip, Virgil, Robertson; Mane, Fabinho, Henderson, Jota; Firmino, Salah

9 hours ago, aRdja said:

We struggled against Brighton last year, both games. I think part of the reason was their setup. We generally struggle/don’t do as well against 3-5-2. I wonder if Klopp will mix it up, and play a different formation fo counter that e.g., 4-4-2, to create a bit of an overload outwide, and still have the numbers up front. We certainly have the players for it. 

Alisson; Trent, Matip, Virgil, Robertson; Mane, Fabinho, Henderson, Jota; Firmino, Salah

Much rather have played these a bit later in the season after their balloon had been pricked a couple of times. They are full of confidence and playing a big team at home under lights live on TV. They will play like it their cup final.  Hope we can score early and put them back in their box and not be chasing the game with a rabid crowd on our backs.  Big test of composure imo. 

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

Keita going off after kicking the turf against Norwich and now is not available for the weekend is the most Keita thing ever.

We'll probably see him again sometime in February. 

You’re fucking kidding? Let’s offer him a new contract though. What a great idea. Starting to really despise this malingering cunt now.

• Upvote 1

I dont think keita would have started this game anyway.

Id expect Jurgen to to restore Virgil and Joel at centre back, Trent back at RB, Robbo as LB although Tsimikas is starting to push him now, probably Jones in for Thiago. Expect the same front as against Palace to start.

Brentford will probably throw the kitchen sink at us for the first 15 - 20 minutes. Should be a good game.