You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Crystal Palace 0 (Sep 18 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Fairly routine, just like it was before the whole empty stadiums debacle. We made a habit of doing this during that two season spell when we were pushing the 100 point mark and it just feels like we’re back in that groove. Palace played alright, they gave us a few problems but we still won 3-0. It’s what we do.

The performance was quite patchy. There were spells in which we were brilliant but there were also periods where I thought Palace were on top. Specifically in the second half before we eventually made it 2-0. At 1-0, Palace were well in this game and were pushing forward trying to get an equaliser. We defended well and on the occasions when they got through, Alisson was there to deal with any danger.

Keeping a clean sheet despite having to change three of the regular back four is a good sign. Losing Trent was a blow, not least because it meant Milner would be charged with keeping Zaha in check, and the last time that happened it didn’t go well. He was sent off. Not this time though. Milner was brilliant and his team-mates did a good job of helping him when necessary.

Having lost Trent I thought it was surprising that Klopp chose to keep Robbo on the bench. Fair enough if he’d been planning on resting him, but I would have expected that plan to change once Trent was ruled out. That’s nothing against Kostas, I have no concerns about him being brought it to give Robbo a breather, but when two other members of the back four are missing I wouldn’t have thought Klopp would have voluntarily changed a third.

Virgil makes a lot of problems go away though doesn’t he? You can pretty much slot anybody in around him as long as he’s there to organise everything. Konate had a solid debut, Tsimikas impressed again and Milner would have been star man but for the brilliance of Salah. And we got to wrap Matip in cotton wool, let Robbo recharge his batteries after his phenomenal efforts in midweek, and even Trent wasn’t missed too much.

He was missed, because as well as Milner played he can’t produce the same kind of creativity we get from Trent. No-one can. He’s the most creative player in the league so you can’t replace that, but even without him we scored three times from corners. 

We created plenty off opportunities in open play, especially in a rampant spell we had from the midway point of the first half up until half time, but it felt like every time we got a shooting opportunity a Palace player came from nowhere to get a block in. They defended their box brilliantly because a lot of teams would have wilted during that spell.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

It's telling, in a leading indicator kind of way, that at 1-0 I wasn't thinking 'oh they're bound to fuck this up'. Don't get me wrong, I was nervous. But the "typical Liverpool" thought was that they'd close it out. And they did. I think it must have been gazing upon the world's most glorious silver barnet at half-time in the concourse under the Main Stand. Twas like touching the hem of Jesus' garment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Can't argue with selecting Mo as motm but I thought Ali got pretty close to that accolade. Made some big saves at crucial times.

They'll take points off our rivals. They are very fit - I thought Gallagher was blowing out of his arse after 30 mins but he lasted the whole game. Good to bank 3 points and move on.

• Upvote 1

Good report, Dave. i thought we looked a bit ropey at the back in the first few minutes. Alli nearly caught in no man's land because I think he was aware of Konate's debut. Once we weathered that storm, we looked a lot better.

I was thinking it was going to be one of those games we wouldnt score what with all the desparate blocks by a Palace player and Jota miss.

I think a lot more credit should go to Sadio for that finish because of the previous missed chances, the lack of time he had and how he had to turn and hit it from a sharp angle.

At 1-0 you always worry an equaliser isnt far away and Mo's goal settle any nerves.

This might not be liked but I thought Keita's goal celebration was a bit 'Cantonaesque' with his nonplused response.

• Upvote 1

Dave and I combined beautifully with me finishing to score a fucking belter at a forum kick about once. I just pulled a little smile and jogged back nonchalantly like it wasn't one of the top 5 goals I'd ever scored. 

Inside I was doing this:

tenor.gif

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic