You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

13 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Just had a quote to renew with my current supplier, they want double what I'm currently paying. So I've signed up for the unions energy supply auction again, see if they can do better.

Not good that especially if you're on a basic pension. Ineffective OFGEM at it's best. Let all the SoLRs take the cheaper deals off the table and switch customers from bust suppliers onto high price tariffs with a massive premium.

Just sums up what we all knew when British Gas and all the Leccy boards were privatised, competition is a load of bollocks! It's all about profit for those who own the companies from day 1.

I'm not saying it would be cheap if it was still in public hands, but the illusion of choice wouldn't be there, and less people would be in debt due to energy costs.

We're a silly fucking cuntry.

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Just sums up what we all knew when British Gas and all the Leccy boards were privatised, competition is a load of bollocks! It's all about profit for those who own the companies from day 1.

I'm not saying it would be cheap if it was still in public hands, but the illusion of choice wouldn't be there, and less people would be in debt due to energy costs.

If you see Sid, tell him.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Not good that especially if you're on a basic pension. Ineffective OFGEM at it's best. Let all the SoLRs take the cheaper deals off the table and switch customers from bust suppliers onto high price tariffs with a massive premium.

You really have no idea. Really. 

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

You lot moaning about Big 6 profits got what you wanted. Why so sad? 

• 2 weeks later...

Australian energy suppliers are privatise, including the poles and wires  they're only a little behind in the thieving bastards stake. The electricity is turned off at my house in Australia but the fee for the wires to my house is higher than I pay for the same period on the house I'm renting in Vietnam for all my power usage.

13 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Dale Vince, the owner of a green energy company and Chairman of Forest Green Rovers says it was a mistake to privatise energy given how critical it is to the country. 

I think he's talking rot. Since de regulation in 1998 the market has worked very well with few hiccups until a shit storm of events happened in the last few months.

So the last few months has seen the industry struggle with rocketing prices since 1998? Dont think so.

This is a map of the European gas pipeline network. Look at how many pipes start in Russia. Not much we do as a Country is going to make much difference until we stop being dependent on the whims of the Russians for heating our homes. One really severe European winter and we will be completely at their mercy within weeks. 

The European Natural Gas Network

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, you can nationalise all you want, it isn't going to make gas magically appear in your pipes. Especially when you, ironically, oppose industrial attempts to extract more gas from our territory.

Utilities aren't just gas though are they, there's electricity and water.

If the country is about to go 'all electric' which seems likely  then re-nationalising seems sensible to me.