You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

• 4 weeks later...

Been with So Energy for a while, and like all energy companies they're pricks, but nobody else is any better.

Took out a new fixed rate a few months back, took my monthly payment from 235 to 195.

Since then my account balance has gone from over 200 quid in debt to 9 quid in credit.

Just had an email saying they think I should be paying 203 a month.

They can fuck off, it's going back down to 195 tomorrow.

Nationalise the energy companies now!

The idea behind fixed direct debits is that your budget doesn't take a hammering in winter because your fuel bills are higher, and the relative overpayment in the summer helps create a small amount of credit. In reality, energy companies are forever reviewing your payment adequacy because they shit the bed the second your bill is higher than your monthly payment, and somehow forget that this usage is not the norm for the year, and that it's all supposed to average out to fall in line with your quoted usage. If you have smart meters, that quoted usage is very accurate too. Energy companies have enough usage data to know this.

I've jibbed that circus off last month and switched to variable direct debits, having twice told my supplier to leave my monthly payments as they are because I absolutely will have built up credit by the end of the agreement. Lo and behold, so it came to pass. I understand that the government's £400 payment offset over 6 months is an outlier, but my monthly payments before were already set based on my expected usage which was based on accurate smart meter usage data, and I'd allowed the first payment adjustment to fall in line with the price capped rates.

If your budget allows, and your household doesn't take the piss with energy usage, and the usage billed is accurate, it's definitely worth considering going onto variable direct debits.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Been with So Energy for a while, and like all energy companies they're pricks, but nobody else is any better.

Took out a new fixed rate a few months back, took my monthly payment from 235 to 195.

Since then my account balance has gone from over 200 quid in debt to 9 quid in credit.

Just had an email saying they think I should be paying 203 a month.

They can fuck off, it's going back down to 195 tomorrow.

Nationalise the energy companies now!

They've actually reduced my direct debit by about £20 or so. Although they have offered me two fixed rate deals, both of which would cost more than I'm currently paying. Fucking ridiculous that customers basically have to gamble on the cost of a basic commodity and potentially lose hundreds of pounds if events beyond their control push the price up.

• Upvote 2

Amazed

Just had my combined new bill after meter reading from EDF

£290 in credit so bills dropped from £139 to £69 a month, might still pay a bit more and keep ahead but pretty happy as i though the length of time i had the fan running might have added up

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

^^^That's because the things you read in the morning paper are not being covered by the Western media.

Wait until the tweets start about British Gas being owned by Centrica, which uses its British profits to subsidise the bills of its French customers.

Wild night ahead, folks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Prem Sikka? There's a blast from the student days past.

OFGEM's negligence has allowed a free-for-all in the energy market that resulted in fuck ups and profiteering even before Russia's invasion of Ukraine had a huge knock-on effect on prices. But no matter, because they are empowering customers to complain about anything and everything to their suppliers, and simply encouraging a Karen culture in this country.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'm currently 81 quid in credit with my energy company as my monthly payment went out yesterday.

Tomorrow my energy company will add their charges for the month and I'll probably be 200 quid in debt again!

I'm about £150 in credit, my electricity bill was actually negative last month as they'd overestimated, but I can't claim any of it back as they insist on having at least a month's worth of payment in hand. The only bright side is that I managed to adjust my direct debit down by £30 a month on each fuel. They wouldn't let you do that previously, no matter how much in credit you were.