You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

I’m starting to get really worried about what’s coming. I hate being cold but I don’t have the money for these kind of increases. I hate the cold but I can’t spend that kind of money to keep warm

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

I am looking at my current gas tariff, which is 7.365p per kWh. If I used the same amount of gas (1,054 kWh) as you, it would cost me £77.63, which at current exchange rate is €91.88, versus your €95.07.

My standing charge is 27.22p per day - €0.3220 compared to your €0.4258 - and VAT here is 5%, compared to your 9%.

With your discount applied, I think the costs are not outlandishly different?

Then what's the deal with the shouts about £4000, is that scaremongering or what?

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

Then what's the deal with the shouts about £4000, is that scaremongering or what?

Well, it is summer, so people aren't heating their homes much right now. Come back to me in winter and my bill would be higher.

Although personally I don't usually put my central heating on until November at the earliest, others have it on almost all year round, I swear some people are cold blooded lizards or something.

54 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’m starting to get really worried about what’s coming. I hate being cold but I don’t have the money for these kind of increases. I hate the cold but I can’t spend that kind of money to keep warm

Don’t express this on social media it you’ll be inundated with advice to wear a jumper because that’s what XXX did in WWII.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kepler-186 said:

A lot of people seem to miss some of the message of the 'Dont Pay' campaign or the effects of sky high bills.

If you had 250,000 people or more saying they wont pay, with more signing up every day, it kind of sends a message to those in power, doesnt it?

Even if push came to shove in October and very few people actually didnt pay, from now to then MP's in marginals and red wall seats would be getting a squeaky bum, some in the energy industry may also get onto MPs saying they couldnt deal with tens of thousands not paying never mind quarter of a million or more giving vibes they may not.

Whatever the outcome, Government's going to have to do something because if people cant pay sky high energy bills, the net result is pretty much the same as if they'd signed up to the 'Cant Pay' campaign and didnt pay.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What if those who didn’t pay sent under companies like Good, Ecotricity, Octopus who’ve tried to do the right thing and then through SoLR their customers were switched  to say Shell? Sticking it to the man!  

Octopus Energy has lost £100m in the last financial year. Why would making them lose more money help anyone or the thousands of people they employ?  Although we’ve seen your contempt for call centre workers. 

Here’s what would happen - companies go under, some SoLR to the big 5.  Those loses are put onto customers bills. Customers lose out, employees lose jobs. Then, when this eventually calms down new energy companies spring from the ashes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

Well, it is summer, so people aren't heating their homes much right now. Come back to me in winter and my bill would be higher.

Although personally I don't usually put my central heating on until November at the earliest, others have it on almost all year round, I swear some people are cold blooded lizards or something.

Our heating generally goes on between November and March, April at a push.  That said our winters are generally mild over here.

EDF is suing the French government for €8.3bn (£7bn) after Emmanuel Macron forced the nuclear giant to sell energy at a loss.

The company has filed a compensation claim with the Conseil d'Etat, the French administrative supreme court, over “losses incurred” as a result of a price cap extended in January.

Paris ordered EDF, which is currently 84pc state owned, to sell more of its power to French rivals at below market prices in an attempt to support households and businesses as energy costs soared.

EDF, which is in the process of being fully nationalised by the French state, said the €8.3bn figure reflected losses “estimated to date”, suggesting the price cap could cost it €15bn over the full year.

EDF estimated the changes would cost it between €7.7bn and €8.4bn when they were first announced and said it would consider “any measure to protect its interests”.

Before the measure was enacted, competitors were allowed to buy 100TWh of EDF’s electricity at a heavy discount to balance its monopoly position. In January, the Elysée ordered that cap to be increased by a fifth.

Last month, EDF posted its largest ever half-year loss of €5.3bn, compared to a profit of €4.2bn a year earlier.

As well as the price cap, the company is struggling with outages. Half of its nuclear fleet has been closed for repair and maintenance, which cost it €24bn.

Heatwaves have also caused problems, with EDF relying on river water to help cool its reactors. The French government has relaxed environmental restrictions linked to the use of river water to allow reactors to remain online.

EDF’s nuclear power accounted for 69pc of France’s electricity production last year, but it is expected to fall to a three-decade low this year.

Mr Macron is about to nationalise the debt-laden utility by buying the 16pc it does not already own. The government offered €12 per share, for an estimated total of €9.7bn, as it tries to shore up supplies amid the energy crisis. 

In the UK, EDF operates Hinkley Point B in Somerset, which closed at the start of this month after 46 years of operation.

It is being replaced by Hinkley Point C, which has been hit by delays and is not expected to come online until June 2027. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/08/09/edf-sues-french-government-84bn-macron-forces-sell-energy-loss/