You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Give it up, Dockers. You’re out of your depth, old man. 

What Ive posted is what 2 certified central heating engineers told me when I asked them the best way to run the CH. So, stop being a tit all your life like the 50 year old narcissist who just sits in an office all day posting on here when he should be working.

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Something for me to think about anyway, cheers.

Boiler is about 10 years old now, house fairly well insulated, so could be food for thought.

If you have a maintenance contract with BG or someone similar might be worth giving them a bell. They’ll know your system and could offer advice. 

Someone we know has just got a house by us. She currently gets dual fuel from Scottish Power and would like to transfer her account to the new address.

They aren't playing ball. They say that because they don't already supply power to that address they can't just take over and that she'll have to deal with British Gas for gas and some other company who's name  escapes me and I've never heard of who already supply there for electricity, which she doesn't want to do. 

The house is missing a thermostat and the council's contractors can't look at anything heating related until there is a gas supply. (That's their excuse anyway)

She's been with Scottish Power for a number of years and it's a shitty way to treat longstanding customers imo.

What advice do our resident energy experts have?

15 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Someone we know has just got a house by us. She currently gets dual fuel from Scottish Power and would like to transfer her account to the new address.

They aren't playing ball. They say that because they don't already supply power to that address they can't just take over and that she'll have to deal with British Gas for gas and some other company who's name  escapes me and I've never heard of who already supply there for electricity, which she doesn't want to do. 

The house is missing a thermostat and the council's contractors can't look at anything heating related until there is a gas supply. (That's their excuse anyway)

She's been with Scottish Power for a number of years and it's a shitty way to treat longstanding customers imo.

Has the gas been disconnected at the new property? 

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Has the gas been disconnected at the new property? 

I'm not sure mate. 

The old dear who lived there before paid her way, but she had been very ill for a number of months so...

It just seems daft to me that you can't keep your own supplier seeing that companies no longer seem to be accepting new customers. 

Ofgem?

The BBC had a handy little piece of advice on the website that basically said if you turn the heating down a bit, take less baths, do less washes and generally cut back on everything, you can knock £120 off your annual bill, bringing it down from about 400 a month to 390.

24 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Goes without saying but things are going to get very ugly this winter.

28 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'm not sure mate. 

The old dear who lived there before paid her way, but she had been very ill for a number of months so...

It just seems daft to me that you can't keep your own supplier seeing that companies no longer seem to be accepting new customers. 

Ofgem?

Establish whether there is gas to the property.  If there is, then a supplier can’t refuse a customer.  It could be luck of the draw with the call centre.  Tell her to get a picture of her tenancy agreement and call back. 

Saying all that any supplier taking on a new customer now is effectively losing money on each one as the cap doesn’t cover the cost of the energy.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Establish whether there is gas to the property.  If there is, then a supplier can’t refuse a customer.  It could be look of the draw with the call centre.  Tell her to get a picture of her tenancy agreement and call back. 

Saying all that any supplier taking on a new customer now is effectively losing money on each one as the cap doesn’t cover the cost of the energy.  

Thanks Rico. Do you think Scottish Power are within the rules here seeing as she is already a customer?

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Thanks Rico. Do you think Scottish Power are within the rules here seeing as she is already a customer?

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

The fact she’s already a customer doesn’t really mean much now as the contract is for the supply of energy at the first address. In normal times it’s obviously great practice to keep customers but now, when they are losing £200-£300 per customer call centre staff may be encouraged or maybe misunderstand the messaging not to take on new customers.  But they can’t refuse one.  

The churn at the moment is so low it’s unbelievable.  I did a report today and some suppliers with 200k of our meters have with 30 or 40 of last months totals. That’s just unheard of. Expect some of the switching sites to get twitchy soon - although their overhead is low so they may survive. 

Bad debt provisions will be massive, trad prepayment meters will be like rocking horse shit.  

And at some point some of you will be visited by people offering to tamper with your meter. For the love of god don’t do it.  That explosion today has all the hallmarks of tampering.  Obviously I could be wrong but the consequences can be tragic. 

39 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The fact she’s already a customer doesn’t really mean much now as the contract is for the supply of energy at the first address. In normal times it’s obviously great practice to keep customers but now, when they are losing £200-£300 per customer call centre staff may be encouraged or maybe misunderstand the messaging not to take on new customers.  But they can’t refuse one.  

The churn at the moment is so low it’s unbelievable.  I did a report today and some suppliers with 200k of our meters have with 30 or 40 of last months totals. That’s just unheard of. Expect some of the switching sites to get twitchy soon - although their overhead is low so they may survive. 

Bad debt provisions will be massive, trad prepayment meters will be like rocking horse shit.  

And at some point some of you will be visited by people offering to tamper with your meter. For the love of god don’t do it.  That explosion today has all the hallmarks of tampering.  Obviously I could be wrong but the consequences can be tragic. 

She's on prepayment meters atm, but whether she'll be able to stay on them is another matter.

She managed to speak to Scottish Power again and after them trying to fob her off, again, demanded the case be escalated.

She has a disabled child, my grandson, and it's imperative this gets sorted quickly as she has to hand the keys to the old property in on Monday so someone is supposed to be calling her tomorrow.

Yeah, right.

I know these are unprecedented times but I imagine the little one is an ace up her sleeve.

Fucking about with your gas meter is idiotic in the extreme.

I didn't do it when I was young, foolish and on the bones of my arse in the mid 80's and I wouldn't do it now no matter how tough things get.

Unfortunately, not everybody has the same mindset and I fear there'll be a few more tragedies like today's in the coming months.

I sincerely hope not.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

She's on prepayment meters atm, but whether she'll be able to stay on them is another matter.

She managed to speak to Scottish Power again and after them trying to fob her off, again, demanded the case be escalated.

She has a disabled child, my grandson, and it's imperative this gets sorted quickly as she has to hand the keys to the old property in on Monday so someone is supposed to be calling her tomorrow.

Yeah, right.

I know these are unprecedented times but I imagine the little one is an ace up her sleeve.

Fucking about with your gas meter is idiotic in the extreme.

I didn't do it when I was young, foolish and on the bones of my arse in the mid 80's and I wouldn't do it now no matter how tough things get.

Unfortunately, not everybody has the same mindset and I fear there'll be a few more tragedies like today's in the coming months.

I sincerely hope not.

It does seem strange they don’t want her to move over with them. Especially if she’s on PPM at the moment. 

Did they ask for any proof of change of tenancy? 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

It does seem strange they don’t want her to move over with them. Especially if she’s on PPM at the moment. 

Did they ask for any proof of change of tenancy? 

Not as far as I'm aware. I told her to photograph and email the tenancy agreement to them which I think she has done, so maybe something positive will happen tomorrow when she speaks to them.