You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

I'm currently well in credit a combination of my lad moving out and me hardly being in the house certainly helps .

Scottish power are saying I should reduce my direct debit but with what's coming round the bend I'm not even considering it I'd rather hedge against prices going through the roof next year .

1 minute ago, Tj hooker said:

I'm currently well in credit a combination of my lad moving out and me hardly being in the house certainly helps .

Scottish power are saying I should reduce my direct debit but with what's coming round the bend I'm not even considering it I'd rather hedge against prices going through the roof next year .

Even when I was with Avro or other suppliers, I never let my credit go higher than £175. Once it hit that I was demanding a 100 refund. Better in my pocket than theirs if you can afford it.

Today really hits hoelme how some people are going to be screwed, our boiler died so no hot water or central heating and can't get any bugger out. I have arthritis and my mum is in her 80's, it is bloody freezing we are sat huddled up in duvets around small heater.

Guy we use at mates rates has covid, has told us it is a biggish job and will be a few hundred just for part. So looks like will be a few days at least. Hopefully won't be for long but, it is not something I have really experience since I was a young kid.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, i5x said:

Today really hits hoelme how some people are going to be screwed, our boiler died so no hot water or central heating and can't get any bugger out. I have arthritis and my mum is in her 80's, it is bloody freezing we are sat huddled up in duvets around small heater.

Guy we use at mates rates has covid, has told us it is a biggish job and will be a few hundred just for part. So looks like will be a few days at least. Hopefully won't be for long but, it is not something I have really experience since I was a young kid.

Crikey me, that's desparate. Have you tried British Gas and told them your predicament and need to get someone out sharpish? Might cost more but that's got to be better than freezing and burning through leccie if yer man cant get out for a while.

Yeah will try that tomorrow, just trying a couple of people we have been recommended won't rip us off first. It fucking sucks, we can deal with it a few days but seriously dunno how people with family's or sick way worse than a bit of arthritis cope. That thought just hit me now when I saw the thread title and realised things will be getting worse for alot of people.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, i5x said:

Have a look at this mate.

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/home-services/boilers-and-heating/boiler-and-heating-repair.html

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, i5x said:

Yeah will try that tomorrow, just trying a couple of people we have been recommended won't rip us off first. It fucking sucks, we can deal with it a few days but seriously dunno how people with family's or sick way worse than a bit of arthritis cope. That thought just hit me now when I saw the thread title and realised things will be getting worse for alot of people.

Best of luck, mate. Our boiler was out of action for a few days about 2 years ago while our man had to order a part. Fortunately it wasnt too cold but we had to use the immersion carefully for hot water.

3 minutes ago, i5x said:

Whereabouts do you live?  After the hire and fire at BG services lots of lads set up on their own. I might be able to get you a number of one of them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Whereabouts do you live?  After the hire and fire at BG services lots of lads set up on their own. I might be able to get you a number of one of them. 

Live on wirral, either way good of you to offer and thank you.

9 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

We got this about 5 years ago. Our boiler has played up 3 out of those 5 years and this has been a godsend. 

Bastards blagged me to sign up to Hive as well. 

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

We got this about 5 years ago. Our boiler has played up 3 out of those 5 years and this has been a godsend. 

Bastards blagged me to sign up to Hive as well. 

We signed up about 30 years ago and used them rarely during that time but we did have to call them out a couple of weeks back when our boiler sprung a leak.

It's worth the cost for the peace of mind.

19 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Not wishing to denigrate my former employers but take a look at Homeserve, they are generally cheaper and offer a better service.  I’ve not been there for a while but BG were losing customers hand over fist to them a few years ago. 

I've just had a look at that and while it's much cheaper for the first year due to the offer, it appears to be more expensive than British Gas for any subsequent years, plus, there is an excess of £60 for each claim, something that BG don't charge.

• Upvote 1

We've got one of those regular boilers, the valve switches started playing up 12 days ago so I signed up for the Scottish Gas cover, which doesn't come into play until Thursday/Friday. Of course things went tits up at the weekend and we couldn't turn the heating off. It went off yesterday morning, plumber was out and fixed one switch then the second one broke down & he can't come back until tonight so I'm sitting working today with my woolly hat & gloves on.

We're going to get some quotes for a combi boiler because this is fucking ridiculous.

I'm starting to feel quite bitter about my wife's insistence that we move house in 2020, I didn't want to. I miss my two shitter, brand new house with a functioning boiler that didn't need tens of thousands of pounds pumped into it.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, elvis said:

I'd be interested to know what price per therm you lot are paying , over on the iom we've been paying £7.37 per therm before December increase of 28% making it an eye watering £9.50 

Absolutely shocking

The one I signed up to is £2.50 a month with £99 excess.

Hopefully this is sorted, used link from @Harry's Ladorriginally online and said friday. So called mentioned my mum was with us and had asthma and arthritis and apparently are sending out someone today. BG agent couldn't find the fix for free offer (was not me who made call) but still will be alot cheaper as similar scheme. Thought get it sorted then can use the 14 day cooling off to sort us out and get on the correct scheme. Even if we can't looks like we will be sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers GF!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, i5x said:

Hopefully this is sorted, used link from @Harry's Ladorriginally online and said friday. So called mentioned my mum was with us and had asthma and arthritis and apparently are sending out someone today. BG agent couldn't find the fix for free offer (was not me who made call) but still will be alot cheaper as similar scheme. Thought get it sorted then can use the 14 day cooling off to sort us out and get on the correct scheme. Even if we can't looks like we will be sorted sooner rather than later.

Cheers GF!

Nice one. Normally I wouldnt touch British Gas but in an emergency, they'll likely be on the case as quick as any indie.

They got one of my elder brothers on this boiler care rip off. I told him to put the money aside instead and get an indie to service the boiler.

He got a couple of 'free' services in the monthly fee then last year they said, 'cant get a part for your boiler, bro. You need a new one and that's 5 grand please'!

Naturally he told them to do one and got a local fitter in to do the job for under half price, like for like.

Glad this worked out for you because being without heat this time of year isnt good.

Interesting email from Octopus on energy prices to their customers. Like I said, in the short term, remove 5% VAT and green levies!

Removing VAT and levies, and extending the Warm Home Discount would also be helpful — and indeed a combination may prove the best option overall. It is vital we don’t allow extra complexity to delay action however.

We believe it’s past time that environmental charges were removed from increasingly green electricity. Removing environmental levies and VAT will save a typical home around £220 a year, so in the light of £700 rises, clearly more is needed alongside this.

An extension to the warm home discount scheme has the benefit of directing help to where it’s most needed.

As it stands, the warm home discount provides £140 respite to around 2.2 million homes. With National Energy Action estimating at least 6 million households could fall into fuel poverty should the wholesale rises be passed on without some form of support, we will need to massively increase both the number of people eligible, and the amount of support provided.

Currently the Warm Home Discount is funded by a social levy that applies to all energy bills, so increasing support for eligible customers will lead to even larger increases for everyone else.

We are putting enormous effort in, alongside many others: energy suppliers, Ofgem and the Government, to try and ensure there is decisive, collective action that best protects as many households as possible.

Moving carbon levies into general taxation was already under consideration, but it’ll take about 9’months to do as it’ll require Code and Licence changes.  It can’t just be stopped as the money funds projects like wind generation, insulation projects etc. 

VAT is a blunt instrument but could be done quicker.  

Other options like deferring payment of gas and power network costs or a windfall tax might help but will take time.  On the windfall tax suppliers spent £20bn at the huge prices we saw in 2021.  

Europe’s storage is way under where it should be, Austria and The Netherlands are massively under resourced and could be in trouble. 

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Interesting email from Octopus on energy prices to their customers. Like I said, in the short term, remove 5% VAT and green levies!

Removing VAT and levies, and extending the Warm Home Discount would also be helpful — and indeed a combination may prove the best option overall. It is vital we don’t allow extra complexity to delay action however.

We believe it’s past time that environmental charges were removed from increasingly green electricity. Removing environmental levies and VAT will save a typical home around £220 a year, so in the light of £700 rises, clearly more is needed alongside this.

An extension to the warm home discount scheme has the benefit of directing help to where it’s most needed.

As it stands, the warm home discount provides £140 respite to around 2.2 million homes. With National Energy Action estimating at least 6 million households could fall into fuel poverty should the wholesale rises be passed on without some form of support, we will need to massively increase both the number of people eligible, and the amount of support provided.

Currently the Warm Home Discount is funded by a social levy that applies to all energy bills, so increasing support for eligible customers will lead to even larger increases for everyone else.

We are putting enormous effort in, alongside many others: energy suppliers, Ofgem and the Government, to try and ensure there is decisive, collective action that best protects as many households as possible.

Aye removing green levies makes some amount of sense: As people switch over to electric heating in the next few years there'll be more folk paying 15p per kW/h of electricity needed to heat their homes, rather than the ~5p per kW/h they're paying for gas now. Cut the tax now knowing there's a windfall on it's way.