You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

16 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What shilling? I’ll have it if there’s one going but I don’t know where or who to collect it from. 

Nuclear is the answer, we’ve just got to be brave and use it to supplement green energy.  Some areas are ripe for tidal as it’s the one thing you can rely on but isn’t great for wildlife. 

I guess we could use your bloviations for reliable wind but that’s very localised.  Your prose style reminds me of Pistonbroke’s cricket commentary. Jesus Christ.  

You've got fuck all concerns for the consumer if you think mega expensive nuclear is 'the answer,' never mind future generations of people given its toxic waste.

Reliable wind, what's that, the wind you continue to spout or did you miss the recent stalling of wind farms? Oh, and if the wind farms produce electric when existing means meets demand, we have to pay the wind farm operators to turn the things off at more cost to the consumer.

Carry on.

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You've got fuck all concerns for the consumer if you think mega expensive nuclear is 'the answer,' never mind future generations of people given its toxic waste.

Reliable wind, what's that, the wind you continue to spout or did you miss the recent stalling of wind farms? Oh, and if the wind farms produce electric when existing means meets demand, we have to pay the wind farm operators to turn the things off at more cost to the consumer.

Carry on.

You have the same comprehension skills as him too. Brother from another mother.  

Let me break it down, you spout lots of piss and wind, thereby could power a wind turbine.  

Anyway, as we’ve seen green energy in the U.K. needs supplementing for times when it’s not windy or sunny enough.  Nuclear gives you the option to spin up very quickly and then power down as quickly without adding to pollution.  Hopefully solar tech will move quickly so panels aren’t needed, tiles like Musk is working on or eventually even something that could be painted onto existing roofs. Local generation is expanding too.  But adding it to existing infrastructure is difficult so it’s usually on new builds. 

• 1 month later...

Got the letter from Scottish Gas this morning recommending I switch the the new fixed tariff, which is £44 a month than I'm paying at the moment.

The alternative is to do nothing and move on to a variable tariff, which is about the same as what I pay just now but they're implying it could sky rocket.

What do I do? Can't say I'm happy about paying an extra £40 a month but it would be better than £80 or are these cunts bluffing?

14 minutes ago, Mook said:

Got the letter from Scottish Gas this morning recommending I switch the the new fixed tariff, which is £44 a month than I'm paying at the moment.

The alternative is to do nothing and move on to a variable tariff, which is about the same as what I pay just now but they're implying it could sky rocket.

What do I do? Can't say I'm happy about paying an extra £40 a month but it would be better than £80 or are these cunts bluffing?

If you go on the price comparison websites mate they'll tell you the same. I'm hanging on till the new year to see if my union can negotiate a deal.

• Upvote 1

You won’t get much of a deal now.  If they are asking you to fix now, you are fixing at the top.  If you can afford to wait until next Mar/Apr it’s likely prices will come down and there’ll be a wider variety of options to fix.  The days of cheap energy are over I’m afraid.  

Zog went yesterday- they were one of my favourites. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I’m in a similar situation. My fixed rate ends in January. @Rico1304, is the winter a terrible time to be signing up for a fixed rate?

24 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’m in a similar situation. My fixed rate ends in January. @Rico1304, is the winter a terrible time to be signing up for a fixed rate?

Now is.  The market is completely disrupted. If we have a bad winter it’s going to get worse.  European storage is still way down and the Russians are being Russian.  Prices are slightly down but could easily rise quickly if we have a cold snap. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not sure what is going on with our credit held by Igloo. Had a bill from Eon who are saying they haven't seen the funds that Igloo have kept debiting us for over the past 2/3 months , yet 2 of the wife's sisters have had monies back from Bulb who only went bang a week or so back.

I’ve never had a final bill from Green Network Energy who folded almost a year ago

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

You won’t get much of a deal now.  If they are asking you to fix now, you are fixing at the top.  If you can afford to wait until next Mar/Apr it’s likely prices will come down and there’ll be a wider variety of options to fix.  The days of cheap energy are over I’m afraid.  

Zog went yesterday- they were one of my favourites. 

Pretty much what I've been told, they're dropping like flies now.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Not sure what is going on with our credit held by Igloo. Had a bill from Eon who are saying they haven't seen the funds that Igloo have kept debiting us for over the past 2/3 months , yet 2 of the wife's sisters have had monies back from Bulb who only went bang a week or so back.

It'll be the Igloo administrators trying to hold Eon's feet to the fire to wring concessions about Igloo's debt out of them.

Octopus had trouble with my supplier, Avro's administrator, who wouldnt release account credits, transfer of accounts etc until or unless they agreed the administrator's terms.

OFGEM about as much use as a choclate teapot.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It'll be the Igloo administrators trying to hold Eon's feet to the fire to wring concessions about Igloo's debt out of them.

Octopus had trouble with my supplier, Avro's administrator, who wouldnt release account credits, transfer of accounts etc until or unless they agreed the administrator's terms.

OFGEM about as much use as a choclate teapot.

No it won’t.  It’s nothing at all to do with that.

That didn’t happen either.  

That bit is true.   

I got an email from my electricity supplier saying that "based on my current usage I could save money by switching to plan....."

My electricity has been switched off since January 2020 and I haven't used an electrons worth since then, just the standing charge which is applied to all types of accounts,

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

There's a story on the Daily Record website about tenants on an estate in Falkirk who only have electricity, no gas supply at all, paying at least £150 a week for energy, one woman is paying £50 a day.

Utilities need renationalising, and a massive project needs to commence ASAP to make all homes and heating energy efficient and green.

I await Rico telling us all why renationalising is a bad idea! Again.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Need to invest so the country is largely self sufficient, which I suppose means new renewable technologies. Probably not enough short term profit in that to line the right pockets though.

Renewables alone won’t ever solve it. Add nuclear to the mix and it’s possible.  

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

There's a story on the Daily Record website about tenants on an estate in Falkirk who only have electricity, no gas supply at all, paying at least £150 a week for energy, one woman is paying £50 a day.

Utilities need renationalising, and a massive project needs to commence ASAP to make all homes and heating energy efficient and green.

The gas is sold to us by the Russians. Nationalisation would cost billions to buy the shares and wouldn’t make any difference as we’d still have to deal with the Russians. Developing non fossil fuel based heating is the long term answer. 

3 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

You tell me how nationalising the industry would stop this happening.  In fact, I’m wondering how it’s happened in the first place.  I guess they are on prepayment meters. 

Was it the government who allowed an estate in fucking Scotland to be built without mains gas? Probably. Fucking stupid. 

Invest in renewables and nuclear to fill the gap when it’s not windy.  

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

This really does need sorting. It’s becoming an emergency 

Removing the 5% VAT would be an immediate start to lowering this winter's bills followed by getting rid of the 'green' levy which just increases costs.

Then we need to suspend this race to 'carbon zero' and realise that in times of rocketing fuel prices and possible shortages, you need to bring mothballed power stations back on line and re start the fracking industry.

Id also drop the farce of Smart Meters which, another added cost is going to be when the current transmission protocol is switched off and is replaced with a new operational band. But that's just me!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/smart-meter-saga-will-never-end-cost-consumers-even/

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

The gas is sold to us by the Russians. Nationalisation would cost billions to buy the shares and wouldn’t make any difference as we’d still have to deal with the Russians. Developing non fossil fuel based heating is the long term answer. 

Should never have been sold in the first place. Held to ransom by the fucking Russians. If you see Sid, tell him. Even as a young man I could never understand how the Government could sell something I already own, as an old man I still can’t.

40 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Removing the 5% VAT would be an immediate start to lowering this winter's bills followed by getting rid of the 'green' levy which just increases costs.

Then we need to suspend this race to 'carbon zero' and realise that in times of rocketing fuel prices and possible shortages, you need to bring mothballed power stations back on line and re start the fracking industry.

Id also drop the farce of Smart Meters which, another added cost is going to be when the current transmission protocol is switched off and is replaced with a new operational band. But that's just me!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/smart-meter-saga-will-never-end-cost-consumers-even/

Apart from perhaps the VAT all of this, and I mean fucking all of it is complete bollocks. 

I cannot stress how little this bloke knows about this. It’s like a Daily Mail article.  

• Downvote 1