You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

6 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Fucking hell,  I'm paying £103. I was paying £100 to my old supplier but their best renewal price was £124 per month.

Outfox the Market and Utility Point were within a few pence of each other and I opted for the slightly more expensive one. Not sure why, but I'm glad I did.

Outrageous price you've been quoted. They're probably trying to claw back some of the losses they're about to make with the recent wholesale energy price increases which is a bit worrying. 

Part of the problem is small utility companies cant afford to forward buy gas like the 'big 6' so have to pay the 'spot' market or current price for gas. They're just effectively middle men who buy at one price and sell higher to make a profit.

But, they've signed customer's up to tariffs at these pre these rocketing prices so are effectively trading gas at a loss. Or will be when people start switching on their gas central heating.

Electricity is hit by this frankly ludicrous 'carbon neutral' mantra while the rest of the world, Germany, China, India etc build more coal fired power stations. Wind generated leccie has fallen off a cliff because there's been very little seasonal wind. Too many coal fired stations have been decommissioned in pursuit of the policy carbon neutral.

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Doesnt surprise me. Got 100 quid from them via the Ombudsman after they kept fucking about with my new installed national grid gas meter.

Id recommend anyone especially those with a smaller supplier regularly downloads their latest billing statement so they have an up to date record of their account position including any credit balance helps protect against any financial issues if their supplier goes bump and are switched to a supplier of last resort!

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Doesnt surprise me. Got 100 quid from them via the Ombudsman after they kept fucking about with my new installed national grid gas meter.

Id recommend anyone especially those with a smaller supplier regularly downloads their latest billing statement so they have an up to date record of their account position including any credit balance helps protect against any financial issues if their supplier goes bump and are switched to a supplier of last resort!

That meter isn’t National Grids it’s mine! 

29 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That meter isn’t National Grids it’s mine! 

Hehe, I wouldnt mind but NG said the installed meter had gone out of certification and needed replacing. We bought the house off plan in 96 and was a 'modern' digital type.

I told NG I wasnt having a SMETS and they said we dont install them. So they came and installed an old reconditioned clockwork version that dated from the 80's by the look of it.

Once they'd updated Avro with the  new meter details, Avro's systems kept rejecting my submitted reads and that went on for over a year. Id been through Avro's complaints procedure but they hadnt fixed it so got on to the Ombudsman who found in my favour.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Fucking hell,  I'm paying £103. I was paying £100 to my old supplier but their best renewal price was £124 per month.

Outfox the Market and Utility Point were within a few pence of each other and I opted for the slightly more expensive one. Not sure why, but I'm glad I did.

Outrageous price you've been quoted. They're probably trying to claw back some of the losses they're about to make with the recent wholesale energy price increases which is a bit worrying. 

I must add that although I was paying £100 a month to my old supplier, So Energy, the actual monthly payment was supposed to be £85. 

I got in touch with them and increased my monthly payments to £100 because I was worried about any final payment I would have to make at the end of the contract, so if you look at it that would be an increase of £39 per month. 

Scandalous really.

I got the overpayment back a couple of weeks after the contract ended, so I've done ok with the new deal. 

It is funny when people talk about how much they pay that they assume ‘right, I’m paying £100 a month, that’s about right’ and then have the heating on all day.  The energy company base your payment on what you tell them, or the reading you supply. If you then heat your house to tropical temps don’t be surprised when the payments go up.  

45 minutes ago, sir roger said:

BBC reporting that Bulb are in talks with Lazard looking for funds to ' shore up ' their position.

Bulb has 1.7m customers which is a bit worrying for anybody smaller.

The press seem to have a hard on for

Bulb. The telegraph regularly have a go at them. Hopefully this is just a refinance. 

I can remember going to see them in Shoreditch and uttering ‘there’s a dog in the office’. 

Anyway, guess what I’ll be doing first thing tomorrow morning. 

12 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Part of the problem is small utility companies cant afford to forward buy gas like the 'big 6' so have to pay the 'spot' market or current price for gas. They're just effectively middle men who buy at one price and sell higher to make a profit.

But, they've signed customer's up to tariffs at these pre these rocketing prices so are effectively trading gas at a loss. Or will be when people start switching on their gas central heating.

Electricity is hit by this frankly ludicrous 'carbon neutral' mantra while the rest of the world, Germany, China, India etc build more coal fired power stations. Wind generated leccie has fallen off a cliff because there's been very little seasonal wind. Too many coal fired stations have been decommissioned in pursuit of the policy carbon neutral.

What ludicrous carbon neutral mantra is this? Do you think we shouldn't be trying to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels?

• Upvote 2

Along with the ongoing immediate crisis we have the hackeneyed problems of Blighty's arrogance.

Italy can store 165 terrawatts of gas we can store 8.8, this is similar across Europe, and the developed world, years and years of massive underinvestment and neglect of infastructure led us here and at one point was going to come back and bite us, here we are.

Alone, isolated and desparate and for what, blue fucking passports?

E_tgKzcWYAAIFdc?format=jpg&name=large

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

The press seem to have a hard on for

Bulb. The telegraph regularly have a go at them. Hopefully this is just a refinance. 

I can remember going to see them in Shoreditch and uttering ‘there’s a dog in the office’. 

Anyway, guess what I’ll be doing first thing tomorrow morning. 

Furiously masturbating to a picture of you and Louis Spence?

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Karl_b said:

What ludicrous carbon neutral mantra is this? Do you think we shouldn't be trying to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels?

What's ludicrous is the UK racing to a 'carbon neutral' footprint when it only contributes 2% of the developed world's output while china accounts for 27% on its own and together with Russia, India, Germany and US etc, build ever increasing numbers of coal fired generating stations.

There's also a cost to less well off people. Not everyone can afford £20k+ heat pumps which are very expensive to install, ineffective in all but specially designed new build houses and require a lot more maintenance than gas boilers.

It might be a radical thought to you but I think it needs all developed countries to address the issue rather than a small island with a tiny output, force its citizens to bear the brunt while other larger countries go, fuck you.

Or maybe you agree with tory 'carbon neutral' policy and forcing less well off people to pay through the nose for less effective heating etc?

On the question on fossil fuel, it's an abundant natural resource. Personally, I think the developed world should be looking for ways to make it a cleaner fuel rather than abandon it altogether especially when nuclear fission is still something in the future.

I'm with Ovo at the moment, paying £124 just for electricity (our flat is a bastard to heat).  In dispute with them because our previous supplier (Npower Select) sent them the wrong reading at the time of the switch, they keep saying it takes them 12 weeks to 'investigate this'.  The ombudsman has been no use either, saying we'll have to wait until they (Ovo) have made their decision.