You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich (A) - CC 3rd Rnd, Tue 21st Sep 2021 (7:45pm)

Trumo

And so we move onto the League Cup 3rd Round. I can't call it by it's sponsorship name, firstly because I've never bought the stuff, and second because it's been almost exclusively in the hands of an oil state since being so named. I'm not overly keen on all these energy drinks, and in fact I had no idea what the brand was until maybe a year or so after they'd been sponsoring the competition. Whatever happened to all those shit-to-average UK-based companies from the TV rental, catalogue shopping or shite-to-bang-average beer sectors that used to sponsor this thing? Anyway:

Work-rate. Heart. Effervescence. Respect. Exuberance. Accuracy. Robustness. Energy (drink). Youthfulness. Obstinacy. Urgency.

I don't ask for much.

This is a fixture that has been played in this competition before. In December 1979 to be exact. It wasn't a competition we took especially seriously back then, but these sides met in the 5th Round at Carrow Road. We'd been finalists two years earlier, but generally the competition, much like in recent times, was treated as an afterthought by a club that had much bigger fish to fry. I can't actually find a clip of this one on Youtube (not even a photo on Google), but we won 3-1 thanks to a brace from David Johnson and a goal from Kenny; Kevin Reeves scored the solitary goal for the Canaries that night. We'd go on to face Forest again in the semis, and again they came out on top. At the time, they were at their very best in two-legged cup ties, having won this competition two years in a row and going on to lose the final this season, but to compensate they would also go on to retain the European Cup against King Kev's Hamburg in Madrid.

The biggest box office draw in early December 1979 was the big-screen version of Gene Roddenberry's 1960s TV sci-fi classic Star Trek. The movie, subtitled The Motion Picture, saw the old cast reunited after a decade. Kirk and Spock have remained an iconic duo, with the friendship and cameraderie between the human former USS Enterprise captain and now Admiral at Starfleet, and the half-Vulcan and always logical sidekick always at the forefront of the story. It's an alright film as sci-fi goes, but it's not a patch on the sequel which for me remains the movie franchise's finest hour. For one thing, the sequel has a memorable villain in Khan Noonan Singh. Like Star Wars, Star Trek still has a massive and fanatical fanbase. My brother is one of them, although that's based on subsequent TV series' rather than the films.

Back in the real world, I'd expect Jurgen to rest quite a few of our players, and give run-outs to those who need a bit of game time. So the likes of Keeva in goal, Neco at right back, Big Nat in defence, Curtis in midfield and an attack of the young Kaide Gordon, Big Div and Taki should all expect to see some action. Much as I'd like to see us make more progress in the domestic cups, I can also see why some at the club still see the likes of the League Cup as more of a chance to use squad players than a cup to go and win. Norwich might not want to go too strong in this one because they are faltering in the league at the minute, but Jurgen should just ask our players to give it all they've got and see what happens. We've had players make a name for themselves in this competition and go on to establish themselves in the first team.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, an tha said:

Kelleher

N.Williams

Gomez

Konate

Tsimikas

Oxlade

Jones

Milner

Origi

Jota

Minamino

If Williams is out could see

-------------------Kelleher

Gomez--Phillips--Konate--Tsimikas

-------------------Milner

----------------Ox------Jones

-------------------Miamino

-----------Origi-----------Gordon

The 23s play tomorrow afternoon, so I would suggest that anyone involved in that fixture would likely not be available to start against Norwich on Tuesday, so it'll be interesting to see who gets selected for the 23s tomorrow.

I'd gone for the below team, pre Palace:

My XI (+ subs) vs Norwich:

Kelleher; Gomez, Phillips, Konate, Tsimikas; Milner, Keita, Jones; Minamino, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi.

Subs: Adrian, Neco Williams, Billy Koumetio, Owen Beck, Tyler Morton, Kaide Gordon, Firmino* or James Balagizi.

*if fit enough

It doesn't look like Bobby will be back in time for this, nor is there any news on Neco's progress, so I'd reward Balagizi with a place on the bench and would expect Conor Bradley to be in the squad against Norwich too.

I suspect though, that we'll see a senior player or two on the bench, rather than it being packed with youngsters.

I'd certainly not be against the likes of Bradley, Morton and Gordon all starting in this fixture, mind.

• Upvote 1