You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 AC Milan 2 (Sep 15 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Welcome back Anfield European nights. We’ve missed you. This was actually very similar to the last one we had only this time the result went in our favour. The performance was similar to the Atletico one and we got sucker punched a couple of times just like in that game too.

I feel as though that was our last game in this competition even though it wasn’t. For me, it’s almost like last season’s Champions League campaign didn’t happen. Honestly, I’d forgotten about it completely to be honest. On the post match podcast John mentioned us being knocked out by Real Madrid and I almost corrected him to say it was Atletico. I’d just pushed it out of my mind completely.

All footy without fans was crap but Champions League nights without them were especially bad. Other than Real Madrid, off the top of my head I honestly can’t remember anyone else we played last season. Probably Napoli as we always play them, but I’m not even sure about that.

This year it’s entirely different. This group we’re in is fucking boss and every game is one to look forward to now that fans are back. I’m so glad Milan are back from seven years away and I hope we see them become a threat again over the next few years. 

Not too much of a threat, obviously, but European football needs the Italian teams to be strong. The balance is too far in favour of the Premier League. PSG and Bayern now. Nobody else is really a factor other than maybe Atletico.

AC Milan are probably the Italian club most like us and there’s a mutual respect there. The gap between the sides is massive though and losing only 3-2 is almost like a win for Milan because they got fucking battered here. We were so impressive for almost all of this game but we do have one glaring flaw, and that’s not turning dominance into goals.

To go in 2-1 after the way we’d played in the opening 30 minutes or so defied all logic. The opening quarter of an hour was unreal. Milan must have wondered what the fuck they’d stumbled into as they were getting steamrollered. The intensity we started the game with is impossible for any team to live with. You can’t do that for ninety minutes of course, so that’s why it’s so vital that you make it count when you are that dominant. 

We never did that. I thought we got a bit complacent. That’s maybe not quite the right word, but we definitely relaxed a little too much. It’s understandable to a point as it was so easy and we were in a completely different league to Milan. They couldn’t cope and were hanging on desperately.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

I think the second goal happened because we felt affronted that they'd had the nerve to equalise in a game where they'd been slaughtered. We just went hell for leather to get the lead back instantly  instead of calming things down and regrouping. 

Yeah the goalie generally had a good game but for the Salah goal it was schoolboy stuff.

Also I think the crowd and great start got to Trent's mindset a bit, just before the goals he was trying to be a bit too cute, I think he played one cross field pass that was miles off and went out to touch and then lost possession easily down his flank, not playing a simple ball. Shortly after he's trotting back for the first goal.

• Upvote 1

Believing the game was going to be straightforward at the time of the penalty I said to my lad Mo is due a miss and this is probably a good time to get it out of the way.

I was regretting the comment by half time but all’s well...

Fab was my motm; he is a very key player in our set up and essential in most matches.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Believing the game was going to be straightforward at the time of the penalty I said to my lad Mo is due a miss and this is probably a good time to get it out of the way.

I was regretting the comment by half time but all’s well...

Fab was my motm; he is a very key player in our set up and essential in most matches.

So we can blame you then? good i'm glad Mo was not at fault

• dave u unpinned this topic