You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Liverpool Transfer - You’re All Wrong

Anubis

6 hours ago, m0e said:

Yeah.

To be fair, he wasn't up against Campbell, Terry, and Ferdinand.

He won his first cap in 1984 so was up against Butcher Adams Pallister Walker Parker Watson Bruce and Keown. It wasn't a Campbell Ferdinand Terry era but it wasn't all Terry Fenwick and Alvin Martin either.

I've said this before on here but how did Terry fucking Fenwick play in a world cup quarter final with England? 

On 23/09/2021 at 21:08, JoeBuck01 said:

I remember watching Ireland lose to Austria in the Irish Centre  in 95. Babb and Mcateer both feigned injury and popped their head round the corner half arsed with Ireland losing 3-1. The pub nearly lynched them.

still, despite Babb’s limitations and nocturnal dalliances,  I still see Collymore as our worst ever signing. We could and should have signed Sheringham who would have done to our 94-95 team what Cantona did for their nearly rans.  If Roy had a leader on the pitch, who knows how that Team would have developed…instead he had The Disruptor  Stan who once jumped on the poor kid Warner after a Fowler had ripped up his suit.

Collymore was a twat and obviously Sheringham would have been a better signing but for a good few months Collymore and Fowler were outstanding. Plus he got that winner against Newcastle 

2 hours ago, Razoray said:

He won his first cap in 1984 so was up against Butcher Adams Pallister Walker Parker Watson Bruce and Keown. It wasn't a Campbell Ferdinand Terry era but it wasn't all Terry Fenwick and Alvin Martin either.

I've said this before on here but how did Terry fucking Fenwick play in a world cup quarter final with England? 

Parker is a right back.

Watson, I'll just pretend you didn't write.

Bruce was never capped by England.

Pallister was hardly capped by England, and got in years later than Wright. As did Walker.

Keown's first cap was in 92.

But aside form that, I see what you mean. 

2 hours ago, Razoray said:

I liked Mark Wright (maybe lacked a bit of pace) but his England competition literally was all Terry Fenwick and Alvin Martin (and brave Terry Butcher). 

The 1986 World Cup centre backs were Butcher, Martin, Fenwick. The 1990 ones were Butcher, Walker, Wright and Robson played all 3 at the back.

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Parker is a right back.

Pallister was hardly capped by England, and got in years later than Wright. As did Walker.

Wright was first capped in 84 and last capped in 96. He would have made the 92 and probably 96 Euro squads if he wasn't injured so intersects all of the listed players. 

Parker played in a 3 at the back in 1990.

Watson was a push alright. 

Pallister, hardly capped and Bruce, never capped, were still around at the same time as Wright. Just because Robson and Taylor weren't big fans doesn't mean they weren't very good centre backs or that they didn't exist.

Same with Keown.

Walker was capped between 88 and 93. 

None of the players listed above were Campbell Terry Ferdinand level but Butcher Adams Walker Pallister were 4 very good centre backs. 

On 23/09/2021 at 13:39, johnsusername said:

Naby Keita cost £48,000,000.

hi-res-47deb75401dc4517c9499f1cefb3697b_crop_north.jpg

His release fee was £48m, but he actually cost us more as we paid an additional premium (allegedly around £5m) to ensure that we would sign him at the start of the 2018/19 season, whilst allowing him to play for Leipzig in the 2017 /18 season.

He's turned out to be a disappointing signing, but certainly not our worst.

43 minutes ago, m0e said:

Parker is a right back.

Parker was also a centre-back for QPR. I assumed he meant the Manchester City Dave Watson. Wrong era, though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

His release fee was £48m, but he actually cost us more as we paid an additional premium (allegedly around £5m) to ensure that we would sign him at the start of the 2018/19 season, whilst allowing him to play for Leipzig in the 2017 /18 season.

He's turned out to be a disappointing signing, but certainly not our worst.

£53,000,000 - third most expensive signing in the history of the club. I mean, pound for pound, he's got to be up there. 

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Wright was first capped in 84 and last capped in 96. He would have made the 92 and probably 96 Euro squads if he wasn't injured so intersects all of the listed players. 

Parker played in a 3 at the back in 1990.

Watson was a push alright. 

Pallister, hardly capped and Bruce, never capped, were still around at the same time as Wright. Just because Robson and Taylor weren't big fans doesn't mean they weren't very good centre backs or that they didn't exist.

Same with Keown.

Walker was capped between 88 and 93. 

None of the players listed above were Campbell Terry Ferdinand level but Butcher Adams Walker Pallister were 4 very good centre backs. 

My point was that Wright had already established himself by the time most of your list were even in the reckoning.

Carragher only started playing CB in 2004/05, and by then the other 3 were firmly established. They also never got injured and played for the 3 best teams around.

On 25/09/2021 at 02:00, aRdja said:

Confirmed. The only cool head we had at the back at the time. For a long time I thought he was an underrated player but only discovered relatively recently that he’s got more England caps to his name than Jamie Carragher, 

Yet he was terrible under Souness but Evans sorted his shit out.

30 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Saw a mention of Borini, certainly not our worst ever signing but in some ways the biggest disappointment considering the hype Rodgers was giving him. I thought we were signing the next Baggio ffs.

Hahahaha fuck me he was shit. badly wanted him to be ace but that Hearts game away was a disgrace 

• 6 months later...

Just stumbled upon this thread. Can’t believe there hasn’t been more weight behind Paul Stewart (no, not like that…)

I know the guy turned out to be a tragic case, but according to his own autobiography he was off his noggins when he turned up for transfer talks with Souness - no way Souey should have even had a conversation with him, still less spend £2.3million

One year earlier we’d sold Beardsley - my favourite player as a kid - and broken the transfer record to replace him with Dean Saunders. Saunders didn’t work out, so we sold him at a loss and spent the same sum on Paul Stewart who was a disaster.

There were literally no redeeming features in his signing, no single game you could point to and say “He did well there.” Complete failure on the club’s part. 

• Upvote 1

Here are my top 10 worst signings in chronological order in the Premier League era:

Paul Stewart

The 5th most expensive Premier League signing in 1992 - around £700k more expensive than Cantona. Would have thought he would have been on a fairly decent wage at that time too, given his previous reputation at City & Spurs.

image.thumb.png.30304fa1b2f09b868ec602ddd94887d6.png

Julian Dicks

Brought in to add physicality to our side - the average weight of our squad certainly increased with "The Terminator's" addition. Had a hell of a left foot on him to be fair, but should never have been considered Liverpool quality.

image.thumb.png.2fed4c7e0f579b3f4cd756d8ca7a7c7d.png

Paul Ince

"The Guv'nor"... The most expensive signing we happened to make in the summer of 1997. He certainly would have been amongst our top earners at the time, if not the top earner, wages wise. Never got close to his form for that lot after joining us from Inter and just came across as a bit of an arrogant twat.

image.thumb.png.aa1108618f4cd266cd66be7e70df2114.png

El Hadji Diouf

Not much to say about this absolute bellend that hasn't already been said. I'm sure privately, Houllier would have looked back at his signing as his biggest mistake during his time with us, although I don't recall Ged ever saying much negative about him, either during or after his spell in charge.

image.thumb.png.791f0ba4d0be267ad294fe0057034e2a.png

Joe Cole

No fee paid, but you can bet his signing on bonus and wages were right up there. Disastrous start to his spell with us with the red card on his league debut and never recovered from then on. Obviously had plenty of technical ability and should have been among our better signings in the Premier League era, but it didn't work for us, as he stunk the place out most games.

image.thumb.png.17a25750c2495f659026bb6f098de3b2.png

Paul Konchesky

See Julian Dicks... Almost feel sorry for him looking back on things. A signing that for me, summed up the Roy Hodgson era like no other.

image.thumb.png.088f9c85c47f2f5888e3dbb8af0b2f0b.png

Andy Carroll

This might be a little harsh on the big daft Geordie, but the fee paid at the time... Ouch!

Don't like criticising Carroll as he pretty much always put a shift in. In fact, one of my biggest gripes about Andy's time with us was that he never spent enough time in the opposition penalty area. He always seemed to track back and do more work defensively rather than being the focal point to cause defenders issues with his power and aerial prowess that I suspect Kenny had hoped he could be when he signed him.

image.thumb.png.08b5daad40a8a4231e319291a2655999.png

Mario Balotelli

Erm... Yeah. Arguably the laziest player ever to pull on a Liverpool shirt. Plenty of ability, just no desire in the lad whatsoever.

image.thumb.png.0c4070b830de7e0264e8f14a503f31da.png

Christian Benteke

A monster against us, a mouse for us... Caused us so many issues in the years prior to us signing him. Very rarely did we see him be the striker that he really ought to have been. He had good pace, was strong on the ball and was so good in the air, before Rodgers got his hands on him anyway. Again, don't like to be too critical of him as the fee we paid was certainly not his fault, but at the time of signing, only Andy Carroll had cost us more - He's now only our 11th most expensive signing ever.

image.thumb.png.6c6371c0dd65c2c0eb58ed9a1d7a5c50.png

Naby Keita

Another player who will certainly divide opinion. The fee, the premium, the time we had to wait for him to actually join - just built up the expectations of the majority of fans. Turned out to be pretty underwhelming in the end. (So far anyway).

Again, a talented player who has shown flashes of what he can do, but he hasn't been consistent enough when he's been fit, which in itself is probably the biggest complaint about the lad since he joined after playing almost 2 full seasons without injury for Leipzig prior to joining. (58 league appearances for Leipzig in 2 seasons - 68 league appearances in 3 and a half seasons for us).

image.thumb.png.777bbf413981b876e6f1e50136dfcb25.png

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Aquilani has to be in there surely?  He was certainly a worse sicknote and player than Naby.

He certainly could be considered - Aquilani only played for us for 1 season during his 3 years as a Liverpool player. 2 of those seasons were spent on loan in Italy where he managed to make 65 appearances in those 2 seasons - all comps.

Before being shipped out on loan, he had managed to make 18 league appearances (26 in all comps) in his debut season, despite not being able to make his debut until late October and his league debut until November. In the 18 league appearances he made in his maiden season, he had 6 assists, which was just 1 behind a certain Mr. Gerrard for the season. (2009/10 assists list).

The first few months of that season were all he really missed through injury, as I'm sure if I remember correctly, he arrived injured, despite passing his medical. I recall there being some back and forth between us and Roma about where/when he picked up his injury, but the deal was pushed through as all the financials had been agreed.

He was a better player than what we seen of him in a Liverpool shirt, though he was certainly less suited to Premier League football than that played in Serie A.

The main reason why I have Naby on my list ahead of Aquilani is down to the fact that we paid a premium above & beyond his release clause to get Naby's signature, as well as then having to wait a full season before he actually joined. 

I happen to like Naby as a player - I think he can be a very good player. However, the actual transfer is amongst the worst in the club's long history. The delay, fee & premium are not Naby's fault of course, but all the expectancy that as yet has not nearly been fulfilled means he makes my list.

On 19/09/2021 at 21:04, Tony Moanero said:

Cisse was one of my most disliked players. From memory, Rafa ended up playing him wide right. He was as thick as pig shit, if not thicker, and infuriating to watch.

Yep. Likeable fella but infuriatingly shit player.

If he’d been any good though we wouldn’t have had to endure that sickening 6 minutes of injury time and the shot just wide from Gudjohnsen in the CL semi, as he should’ve buried it late on after coming on as sub.

without that 6 minutes of suffering that high on the final whistle wouldn’t have been as high.

he was shit though. Offside nearly as often as Werner.

On 22/09/2021 at 06:52, Paulie Dangerously said:

In terms of high hopes being dashed by poor performances Keane is up there for me. 

My only memory of his time here is that one goal against arsenal and him missing sitter after sitter and grinning. Amazed we managed to shift him after his time here, appalling. 

Never wanted him, never rated him, hated all the sitters he missed, was thrilled to get him moved on without a hit and so quickly.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Yep. Likeable fella but infuriatingly shit player.

If he’d been any good though we wouldn’t have had to endure that sickening 6 minutes of injury time and the shot just wide from Gudjohnsen in the CL semi, as he should’ve buried it late on after coming on as sub.

without that 6 minutes of suffering that high on the final whistle wouldn’t have been as high.

If he had brain he would have been world class. If. 

10 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Remarkable similarities as players - all pace, no brain, no tricks, finishing is just hit it as hard and low as possible. 

Ciise always has a place in my heart for  burying his penalty in Istanbul and starting the comeback v West Ham in Cardiff. 

18 hours ago, Dynamite said:

He certainly could be considered - Aquilani only played for us for 1 season during his 3 years as a Liverpool player. 2 of those seasons were spent on loan in Italy where he managed to make 65 appearances in those 2 seasons - all comps.

Before being shipped out on loan, he had managed to make 18 league appearances (26 in all comps) in his debut season, despite not being able to make his debut until late October and his league debut until November. In the 18 league appearances he made in his maiden season, he had 6 assists, which was just 1 behind a certain Mr. Gerrard for the season. (2009/10 assists list).

The first few months of that season were all he really missed through injury, as I'm sure if I remember correctly, he arrived injured, despite passing his medical. I recall there being some back and forth between us and Roma about where/when he picked up his injury, but the deal was pushed through as all the financials had been agreed.

He was a better player than what we seen of him in a Liverpool shirt, though he was certainly less suited to Premier League football than that played in Serie A.

The main reason why I have Naby on my list ahead of Aquilani is down to the fact that we paid a premium above & beyond his release clause to get Naby's signature, as well as then having to wait a full season before he actually joined. 

I happen to like Naby as a player - I think he can be a very good player. However, the actual transfer is amongst the worst in the club's long history. The delay, fee & premium are not Naby's fault of course, but all the expectancy that as yet has not nearly been fulfilled means he makes my list.

We’ve got three years of varying (mostly middling) performances from Keita. Aquilani gave us one solitary decent season. I’m not sure if Keira’s transfer has hurt us, albeit the money wouldn’t have gone amiss elsewhere. Swapping Alonso for Aquilani made us worse.