You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Liverpool Transfer - You’re All Wrong

Anubis

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

That's the Carroll argument too really.  On the other side it was the massive wasted opportunity which makes it so bad.  He was like our second most expensive signing ever at the time.  The cash spent could have really added attacking quality to the team, and given we came second probably pushed us to the title.

Or just let Rafa buy Gareth Barry.

Gareth Barry would have definitely been in this thread.

5 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

In terms of high hopes being dashed by poor performances Keane is up there for me. 

My only memory of his time here is that one goal against arsenal and him missing sitter after sitter and grinning. Amazed we managed to shift him after his time here, appalling. 

Rafa used him as a political tool to make a point.

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

That's the Carroll argument too really.  On the other side it was the massive wasted opportunity which makes it so bad.  He was like our second most expensive signing ever at the time.  The cash spent could have really added attacking quality to the team, and given we came second probably pushed us to the title.

Or just let Rafa buy Gareth Barry.

I thought the Barry deal was scuppered because Alonso refused to go?

20 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I thought the Barry deal was scuppered because Alonso refused to go?

I think that window we tried to sell Alonso to Arsenal but they wouldn’t pay the £20 million or whatever we were looking for?

Rafa wanted to prioritise buying Barry, but Parry did the Keane transfer first, then when we couldn’t get anyone to take Alonso, there was no Barry after that.

Then the next season Alonso was pissed off so left for Madrid, Barry chose Man City ahead of us and we got Aquilani instead.

It was great stuff all round.

30 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I think that window we tried to sell Alonso to Arsenal but they wouldn’t pay the £20 million or whatever we were looking for?

Rafa wanted to prioritise buying Barry, but Parry did the Keane transfer first, then when we couldn’t get anyone to take Alonso, there was no Barry after that.

Then the next season Alonso was pissed off so left for Madrid, Barry chose Man City ahead of us and we got Aquilani instead.

It was great stuff all round.

I remember there was a bit of a backlash from the fans over Alonso and rafa tried to freeze him out.

He wanted Barry but villa refused to budge and then when he got Keane he claimed he didnt want him.

Which was bollocks.

So yeah, happy days.

On 22/09/2021 at 03:30, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ridiculous shout. Have a look at the other players mentioned in the thread then go away and think about what you've done.

How many other players have been signed for £19m, got a four year contract,  then six months later  sold for £12m to his old club?

Horrendous signing. 

Andy Carroll for me undoubtedly. It was absolutely bonkers, I couldn’t believe what I was reading. There was not one modicum of hope that it wasn’t going to be a complete disaster. Remembering watching his first start for us against Sunderland at Stadium of Light, in utter disbelief how bad his touch was, he most have lost the ball 30+ times.

On 19/09/2021 at 18:25, bossy said:

It’s probably Diouf if I bothered to not engage emotionally but I hated, and still do, Phil fucking bastard Babb. He was incapable of passing a ball, heading it or even looking at it. Phill fucking Babb. 

I remember watching Ireland lose to Austria in the Irish Centre  in 95. Babb and Mcateer both feigned injury and popped their head round the corner half arsed with Ireland losing 3-1. The pub nearly lynched them.

still, despite Babb’s limitations and nocturnal dalliances,  I still see Collymore as our worst ever signing. We could and should have signed Sheringham who would have done to our 94-95 team what Cantona did for their nearly rans.  If Roy had a leader on the pitch, who knows how that Team would have developed…instead he had The Disruptor  Stan who once jumped on the poor kid Warner after a Fowler had ripped up his suit.

1 hour ago, JoeBuck01 said:

I remember watching Ireland lose to Austria in the Irish Centre  in 95. Babb and Mcateer both feigned injury and popped their head round the corner half arsed with Ireland losing 3-1. The pub nearly lynched them.

still, despite Babb’s limitations and nocturnal dalliances,  I still see Collymore as our worst ever signing. We could and should have signed Sheringham who would have done to our 94-95 team what Cantona did for their nearly rans.  If Roy had a leader on the pitch, who knows how that Team would have developed…instead he had The Disruptor  Stan who once jumped on the poor kid Warner after a Fowler had ripped up his suit.

Personally I'd say the whole spice boy thing,which collymore wasnt a part of,did irreparablely more damage.

And he had a great partnership with Fowler

Mark Kennedy always holds a special place in my heart.

I have mentioned it before but when we signed him, the echo ran a story saying something like 'Liverpool sign Lion Mark'.

Being the div that i am, i went out in the front that night playing football, pretending to be liverpool's new signing Leon Mark. I thought it was just a funny spelling. Luckily nobody had a clue what i was on about.

21 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Andy Carroll for me undoubtedly. It was absolutely bonkers, I couldn’t believe what I was reading. There was not one modicum of hope that it wasn’t going to be a complete disaster. Remembering watching his first start for us against Sunderland at Stadium of Light, in utter disbelief how bad his touch was, he most have lost the ball 30+ times.

I remember when he came on against Chelsea with 3 minutes to go (the one where Glen Johnson scored a late winner). The whole pub was laughing at how bad he was.

16 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Mark Wright was decent as well. 

Confirmed. The only cool head we had at the back at the time. For a long time I thought he was an underrated player but only discovered relatively recently that he’s got more England caps to his name than Jamie Carragher, 

23 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Confirmed. The only cool head we had at the back at the time. For a long time I thought he was an underrated player but only discovered relatively recently that he’s got more England caps to his name than Jamie Carragher, 

Yeah.

To be fair, he wasn't up against Campbell, Terry, and Ferdinand.