You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Liverpool Transfer - You’re All Wrong

Anubis

I can think of a number of players whose transfer here didnt work out as expected, Speedie, Carter, Dicks, Konchelski, Diao(sp?) but, for one reason or another they are all topped by a considerable margin by that utter shithouse, Diouff.

That sack of shit was not only full of it, he brought disrespect on the club, spitting at fans at Celtic and at Anfield against West Ham. The undisputed worst Liverpool signing, ever.

On 16/09/2021 at 17:00, Anubis said:

It’s not Keita, Carroll, Aspas, Aquilani, Jovanovic, Balotelli, or most of your usual guesses - all of whom will have contributed at least a few useful moments in a red shirt.

For those of us old enough to remember him, it is almost certainly Jimmy Carter. 

Singed from Milwall in 1991, he played less games for us than I have fingers, and was so laughably bad he was brought on as a substitute at Stamford Bridge and then himself substituted.

It was a miracle we moved him on to Arsenal, where he promptly disappeared.

Jimmy Carter is our worst signing ever.

Good call this. I went to that game, think we lost 2.0. He I don’t think he ever played professionally again and last I heard was a leisure centre manager. Really strange as everyone had high hopes for him. 

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Good call this. I went to that game, think we lost 2.0. He I don’t think he ever played professionally again and last I heard was a leisure centre manager. Really strange as everyone had high hopes for him. 

He keeps getting punditry gigs on Radio Merseyside.

11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He keeps getting punditry gigs on Radio Merseyside.

Glad to see he’s still involved in the game albeit at the margins. The psychological impact of getting to that level then falling so spectacularly must have been immense. I’d be interested to see him interviewed about it. 

55 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Glad to see he’s still involved in the game albeit at the margins. The psychological impact of getting to that level then falling so spectacularly must have been immense. I’d be interested to see him interviewed about it. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55536025

Remember when Mamadou Sakho was a “marquee” signing, and some of our fans made out he was that good it would be like having Beckenbauer and Baresi rolled into one? Not our worse signing by any means, and we’ve had far worse defenders, but a disappointing one nonetheless, in my opinion. He was nowhere near as good as was made out, had shit for brains and was an accident waiting to happen. I still blame him for needlessly overhitting his pass to Gerrard in the game against Chelsea, in 2014.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There's lots of factors, such as money spent, wasted promise etc. 

Certain players were so shit though I actually hated them. Koncheski and Leonhardsen were like that for me.

Worse signings money wise though, Carroll certainly, absolute donkey.

Cisse was one of my most disliked players. From memory, Rafa ended up playing him wide right. He was as thick as pig shit, if not thicker, and infuriating to watch.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

Cisse was one of my most disliked players. From memory, Rafa ended up playing him wide right. He was as thick as pig shit if not thicker, and infuriating to watch.

I remember watching Carroll once and while the ball was heading towards the box he was somewhere around the centre circle. 

It was like God ate Robbie Fowler and shit out all the bits he didn't need.

Djibril was definitely an infuriating player to watch, but to be fair to the lad his last season here was actually fairly productive, and you at least got the impression he cared.

Carroll, Diouf, and Balotelli on the other hand clearly couldn't have given two fucks, as well as being shite. Also had to put up with about 2 years of "he's gonna come good" chat with Carroll, when it was beyond obvious he was a dud.

On 19/09/2021 at 22:39, Code said:

Robbie Keane

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ridiculous shout. Have a look at the other players mentioned in the thread then go away and think about what you've done.

In terms of high hopes being dashed by poor performances Keane is up there for me. 

My only memory of his time here is that one goal against arsenal and him missing sitter after sitter and grinning. Amazed we managed to shift him after his time here, appalling. 

34 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

In terms of high hopes being dashed by poor performances Keane is up there for me. 

My only memory of his time here is that one goal against arsenal and him missing sitter after sitter and grinning. Amazed we managed to shift him after his time here, appalling. 

There's a big difference between being disappointing and being the "worst signing ever". We spent a net £7m and got 5 goals in half a season: there are many, many worse than that.

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's a big difference between being disappointing and being the "worst signing ever". We spent a net £7m and got 5 goals in half a season: there are many, many worse than that.

That's the Carroll argument too really.  On the other side it was the massive wasted opportunity which makes it so bad.  He was like our second most expensive signing ever at the time.  The cash spent could have really added attacking quality to the team, and given we came second probably pushed us to the title.

Or just let Rafa buy Gareth Barry.

On 19/09/2021 at 21:07, Section_31 said:

I remember watching Carroll once and while the ball was heading towards the box he was somewhere around the centre circle. 

It was like God ate Robbie Fowler and shit out all the bits he didn't need.

That was every game. Benteke used to do it as well. Ball would go wide and he'd practically be patting Coutinho's arse.