You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Liverpool Transfer - You’re All Wrong

Anubis

Carroll was an absolutely terrible signing. £35 million was the most expensive English player ever at the time. There would have only been two or three strikers on the planet we couldn’t have bought with that money.

He had a bit of talent and scored a couple of goals, particularly in the FA cup (I still think the one off the line in the final was a crap miss though). 
It’s the amount of money and the top class player we could have got that makes it so bad (never mind that he obviously didn’t care about football).

• Upvote 2

Balotelli. 

I thought previously it was Downing or Carroll, for similar reasons. Shit, overpriced, and an appalling fit for the team. They signified a terrible shift in tactics and style of play, especially as the counter attacking side of Maxi, Meireles, Kuyt, and Suarez, with Lucas behind them (and even Spearing) worked. With Gerrard to come back it could have been an excellent team the following season with the right signings. 

However, the answer is Balotelli. A complete and utter liability. A cast iron guaranteed failure, who we bought to replace one of the best players to ever play for the club. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It pisses me off when people say Carroll. Ok, he shouldn't have been signed but I watched him beast defenders in a few big games and that header against Everton in the semi was one of "them" moments because we easily could have lost there and that would have been unbearable. He nearly won us the final again, Chelsea didn't know what hit them. 

I've said this on here before but (think it was his home debut) we had Utd when we beat them 3:1 (Kuyt hat-trick, Suarez mastershow) and Agger or Skrtel, can't remember which took a knock and Kyrgiakos came out warming up and jogged towards the Kop, everyone thought it was Carroll so started clapping/cheering until we realised and the cheeky fucker clapped back thinking it was all for him. Carroll came on for the last 15/20 and absolutely bullied their defence anytime the ball came in the box. Shame he was a piss-head because there was a good striker in there somewhere. 

One of those signings were the fee has to come into it as regards being a bad signing..I think if he'd cost £5-£0M then I think a lot would have been happy we'd bought him as a decent plan B 

48 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It pisses me off when people say Carroll. Ok, he shouldn't have been signed but I watched him beast defenders in a few big games and that header against Everton in the semi was one of "them" moments because we easily could have lost there and that would have been unbearable. He nearly won us the final again, Chelsea didn't know what hit them. 

I've said this on here before but (think it was his home debut) we had Utd when we beat them 3:1 (Kuyt hat-trick, Suarez mastershow) and Agger or Skrtel, can't remember which took a knock and Kyrgiakos came out warming up and jogged towards the Kop, everyone thought it was Carroll so started clapping/cheering until we realised and the cheeky fucker clapped back thinking it was all for him. Carroll came on for the last 15/20 and absolutely bullied their defence anytime the ball came in the box. Shame he was a piss-head because there was a good striker in there somewhere. 

If we would have got him for 15/20m he would be no near the list.

He had that spell near the end of that season where he was outstanding (remember him getting a winner at Blackburn)but he just wasnt arsed.Utter waste of talent 

Acqualini would definitely be up there if we were looking at money shelled out 

Benteke is usually absent from these discussion because we got rid quickly and almost got our money back, but he shouldnt be. Signing completely devoid of strategy. We only bought him because he had a decent goal record and clearly didnt think at all about how he would fit tactically. 

At least with Carroll, we bought players like Adam and Downing so we were going with the alehouse theme. 

And with Balotelli, Id always say he was worth the risk. He was still mid 20s at the time and paying 16m or whatever it was on the chance he would figure it out wasnt the craziest thing ever. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Carroll was an absolutely terrible signing. £35 million was the most expensive English player ever at the time. There would have only been two or three strikers on the planet we couldn’t have bought with that money.

He had a bit of talent and scored a couple of goals, particularly in the FA cup (I still think the one off the line in the final was a crap miss though). 
It’s the amount of money and the top class player we could have got that makes it so bad (never mind that he obviously didn’t care about football).

One thing j dont get about carroll was dalglish had never really gone for that type of player before 

He usually favoured poachers, rush,also,or busy no 10s,beardsley, suarez.

Even at Blackburn Shearer was direct but not a target man.

Then.we are sounding £35n on a traditional English forward 

It's Diouf for me. The team he joined had not been far off in the league and signing him over Anelka for what was big money at the time took us down more than a level. He was also a terrible representative of the club.

I get the Balotelli shout too though. I often heard it said that he had the ability to be a world beater in there somewhere. He really didn't and was just an ordinary talent with a load of hype because he was a bit crazy.

He didn't give a fuck at all either. I recall a goal we conceded at Hull where we pushed out on a set piece and he stood in the 6 yard box watching everyone go as he couldn't be arsed. It's no surprise to me that at 31 he's playing for some no mark Turkish team.

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Carroll-goal-Part-2.gif

diouf-spit-580x449.png

hqdefault.jpg

1498503527_428601_1498503696_noticia_nor

ShySmoggyKillifish-max-1mb.gif

• Upvote 1

Benteke was maddening and completely unfit for the team's style but at least he scored a few goals.

Balotelli scored 1 league goal all season (ONE!). His signature move was spoiling promising counter-attacks by blasting the ball into row z from 40 yards out. People thought he was this misunderstood mad genius when he was actually just shit.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

Answer the question.

Diouf is an inspiration to most Senegalese footballers of that age. Whether Mane would have played football without an idol like him, I obviously can't answer. I don't know him, never spoken to him. 

It was a slightly tongue in cheek comment because Diouf isn't well liked, but he is an idol to many. That part is true.