You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Liverpool Transfer - You’re All Wrong

Anubis

38 minutes ago, Razoray said:

I think some are reading this as worst ever player. 

The cost, wages, expectation, the person they replaced etc. all have to be taken into account

Yes.

That's why I said worst "signing" ever.

There are a thousand players who are worse than Keita.

There are players who cost us titles, like Karius.

There are players who literally offered fuck all, like Ferri.

There are players who were never of the required standard, like Borini.

The criteria has to be agreed on how we measure the worst signing to avoid it being just pub talk.

It's not just the fee, it's the expectations of that transfer, it's where we were as a club when we signed him, it's the opportunity cost involved, it's the time given to prove themselves, it's their reliability, and the general performance levels compared to what was expected.

You can also factor in what kind of ambassador he was for the club, and the impact he made off the pitch.

Keita has failed in every department.

Like I said, only Diouf is worse in my opinion.

If you're talking about shit players, we've had plenty worse than the names being thrown around here.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He scored goals so is not even close to this list.

I’m not saying he’s the worst of all time but there are some signings that excite you that fail abysmally. Kewell and Keita for example. Then others that infuriate you because you can see a mile off that it’s wasting money on shite that are not a good fit for Liverpool. Clough, Downing, Carroll, Stewart for example. Saunders fell squarely in the latter.

1 minute ago, Shitty Arse said:

I’m not saying he’s the worst of all time but there are some signings that excite you that fail abysmally. Kewell and Keita for example. Then others that infuriate you because you can see a mile off that it’s wasting money on shite that are not a good fit for Liverpool. Clough, Downing, Carroll, Stewart for example. Saunders fell squarely in the latter.

Blame Souness. His signings were largely only slightly better than The Owl's dealings.

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

Yes.

That's why I said worst "signing" ever.

There are a thousand players who are worse than Keita.

There are players who cost us titles, like Karius.

There are players who literally offered fuck all, like Ferri.

There are players who were never of the required standard, like Borini.

The criteria has to be agreed on how we measure the worst signing to avoid it being just pub talk.

It's not just the fee, it's the expectations of that transfer, it's where we were as a club when we signed him, it's the opportunity cost involved, it's the time given to prove themselves, it's their reliability, and the general performance levels compared to what was expected.

You can also factor in what kind of ambassador he was for the club, and the impact he made off the pitch.

Keita has failed in every department.

Like I said, only Diouf is worse in my opinion.

If you're talking about shit players, we've had plenty worse than the names being thrown around here.

No problem at all with anything you say above....except it is just 'pub talk' on here really and it is a very subjective issue, one there is no measurement that can be to to objectively find a definitive answer too.

The differing opinions are actually more interesting anyway - IMO anyway!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

No problem at all with anything you say above....except it is just 'pub talk' on here really and it is a very subjective issue, one there is no measurement that can be to to objectively find a definitive answer too.

The differing opinions are actually more interesting anyway - IMO anyway!

Fair enough.

I meant it more when people say things like "no he wasn't, blah blah was worse" without rhyme or reason.

I actually think the debate is a great one, and feel a poll coming. But I think we'd need some alignment on criteria first.

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Fair enough.

I meant it more when people say things like "no he wasn't, blah blah was worse" without rhyme or reason.

I actually think the debate is a great one, and feel a poll coming. But I think we'd need some alignment on criteria first.

Yeah its a decent read.

Not sure about criteria, and how could work - but see what you are getting at.

My final word on this...Ziege.

When we signed him I thought "A bit of class, can give us something from full back we havent had for a while"

He was absolute fucking rubbish, and whats more is he didnt seem to care. It was the not caring that was unforgiveable, he had talent, he just didnt give a fuck. He stole his wages.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Anubis said:

It’s not Keita, Carroll, Aspas, Aquilani, Jovanovic, Balotelli, or most of your usual guesses - all of whom will have contributed at least a few useful moments in a red shirt.

For those of us old enough to remember him, it is almost certainly Jimmy Carter. 

Singed from Milwall in 1991, he played less games for us than I have fingers, and was so laughably bad he was brought on as a substitute at Stamford Bridge and then himself substituted.

It was a miracle we moved him on to Arsenal, where he promptly disappeared.

Jimmy Carter is our worst signing ever.

I watched that game live on RTÉ and there was an element of dick-waving on Souness' part. Look at me, I'll substitute the substitute, I'm well 'ard me! When Liverpool got it back to 2-2 after being 2-0 down the camera zoomed in on him looking all smug as if he had pulled off a masterstroke. Chelsea duly scored again because, and this may come as a shock to some people, that kind of bravado isn't a sufficient condition to win matches.

It pisses me off when people say Carroll. Ok, he shouldn't have been signed but I watched him beast defenders in a few big games and that header against Everton in the semi was one of "them" moments because we easily could have lost there and that would have been unbearable. He nearly won us the final again, Chelsea didn't know what hit them. 

I've said this on here before but (think it was his home debut) we had Utd when we beat them 3:1 (Kuyt hat-trick, Suarez mastershow) and Agger or Skrtel, can't remember which took a knock and Kyrgiakos came out warming up and jogged towards the Kop, everyone thought it was Carroll so started clapping/cheering until we realised and the cheeky fucker clapped back thinking it was all for him. Carroll came on for the last 15/20 and absolutely bullied their defence anytime the ball came in the box. Shame he was a piss-head because there was a good striker in there somewhere. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Four I haven't seen mentioned...

Benteke 

Lallana

Salif Diao

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Benteke was a bit shite, but we convinced Palace to give us most of what we paid back, falls in to the Keane catagory for me, just a waste of everybodys time.

Lallana was alright, but a crock.

Sailf, well, er, yeah shite, but far from the worst.

OC, just a waste of talent, time and energy all round, but not quite disasterous.