You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Liverpool Transfer - You’re All Wrong

Anubis

Some of our post 92 signings were so bad, you'd swear we were being deliberately sabotaged. Dicks? Ruddock? Stewart? Kvarme?Torben fucking Piechnik? (Admittedly, I quite liked his song). Although, whoever decided that Alonso could be replaced by Alberto Aquilani and Suarez by Mario Balotelli deserves a special place in any Hall of Infamy.

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'm struggling to think of a worse player in a red shirt than phillip  degan.

Degan was free, we were poor, it's understandable taking a risk given the circumstances. I can't say I remember anything about him other than he was injured all the time and had a twin.

Just now, No2 said:

Degan was free, we were poor, it's understandable taking a risk given the circumstances. I can't say I remember anything about him other than he was injured all the time and had a twin.

I recall one evening when carragher spent 90 minutes screaming..fucks sake degan

He was shite.

17 minutes ago, No2 said:

We were one of the best teams in England and Europe when he signed 

Degen made his competitive Liverpool debut in the third round of the Football League Cup in the 2–1 home win against Crewe Alexandra, during which he broke two of his ribs and punctured his lung in a collision with teammate Sami Hyypiä and was out for two months.[10]

On 12 November 2008, he made his first-team comeback in the 4–2 League Cup defeat at Spurs, only to suffer a broken metatarsal. 

So many candidates to choose from over the years. One thing we haven't done in recent years is sign a player totally ill-suited to our general style of play and tactical set-up. You can argue about the quality and success of all of these additions, but at least you can see why we went for them in that context. And it's not because they were cheap or because no-one else was in for them.

And yet back in the day, it was a common theme to sign players ill-suited to the team. Why keep signing players who are successful in teams that don't dominate possession, don't generally come up against a low block, and love route one second-ball stuff when that is simply not our game? They'll be ineffective because they are doing things they aren't used to, and we'll be ineffective because we're so disjointed.

Paul Ince is a great shout. It had become established, mainly via the media, that we were lacking a midfield enforcer to help us harness our pass-and-move attacking style into a unit that could actually win stuff. That "final piece of the jigsaw". The trouble is, Ince seemed to see himself as a box-to-box attacking midfielder and our team was all the more porous because of it. We didn't have the most reliable set of defenders, and they had nobody manning the fort in front of them. Ince simply did not do what he was signed for.

29 minutes ago, No2 said:

It's Konchesky. You could make a case for signing Carroll, Downing, Cole, Karius, even Aquilani but this cunt was managed by the other cunt for a few years. He should have known he was shite.

He was exactly the sort of level of shite that the piece of shite who signed him operated at and was comfortable with and familiar with....in his eyes he was probably seen as being 'good'

How our football club ever got to point where is aimed so low as to appoint that useless get as manager is still to this day something that irritates me greatly....he was so far below what we should be looking for it was just beyond belief.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, m0e said:

I've changed my mind.

It's El Haji Diouf for a million and 1 reasons.

Keita is in the discussion though.

Keita is disappointing, because he hasn't lived up to his reputation and price tag.

Diouf actually made the team worse, was the first Liverpool number 9 to go a full season without scoring and was an obnoxious cunt to boot.

It's absolutely ridiculous to think that Keita is anywhere near that level of shit signing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

He was exactly the sort of level of shite that the piece of shite who signed him operated at and was comfortable with and familiar with....in his eyes he was probably seen as being 'good'

How our football club ever got to point where is aimed so low as to appoint that useless get as manager is still to this day something that irritates me greatly....he was so far below what we should be looking for it was just beyond belief.

There were one or two other things going on at the club at the time, to be fair. 

22 minutes ago, Razoray said:

I think some are reading this as worst ever player. 

The cost, wages, expectation, the person they replaced etc. all have to be taken into account

The cost is hardly the fault of the player though is it?

If the club pays over the odds for a player,the expectation can often be unrealistic. 

You can only really look at what he brings to the team.

Personally I thought dossena was absolutely shocking.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

The cost is hardly the fault of the player though is it?

If the club pays over the odds for a player,the expectation can often be unrealistic. 

You can only really look at what he brings to the team.

Personally I thought dossena was absolutely shocking.

He avoids being the worst just for that lob at the toilet.