You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best apps for driving?

Elite

I was caught speeding by a mobile camera last week and I'm sure I've been done again yesterday. No excuses but could quite well have 6 points on my license (Did a speed awareness course just under 3 years ago, so won't be eligible) so need to be very careful going forward.

Is there an app that displays the speed limit for every road you're on? And notifications for speed cameras/mobile speed cameras if that's possible?

I don't want to get caught out on roads with no speed signs etc.

19 minutes ago, Elite said:

I was caught speeding by a mobile camera last week and I'm sure I've been done again yesterday. No excuses but could quite well have 6 points on my license (Did a speed awareness course just under 3 years ago, so won't be eligible) so need to be very careful going forward.

Is there an app that displays the speed limit for every road you're on? And notifications for speed cameras/mobile speed cameras if that's possible?

I don't want to get caught out on roads with no speed signs etc.

Waze.

Also shows you cameras, traps and if you’re speeding.

I love the thing.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

The obvious an simple answer here is just don't speed. The rule of thumb for single carriageways is that if there are no signs to tell you the speed limit then stick to 30, as that is the likely limit.  

I intend to do that from now on but would like an app for further peace of mind as well. 

I also use Waze also for navigation and it does display the speed limit / speed cameras and notifies you if you’re going over. 

Can be a bit annoying at times when asking you to interact with the app (asking you to confirm if there is traffic, roadworks, police nearby…etc that other drivers have reported) but it’s free and easy enough to use. 

• Upvote 1

Im not sure there's any app that accurately gives the speed limit on all roads. Id certainly be wary of trusting an app if you do have 6 or more points on your licence.

We all speed and get hacked off stuck behind someone who's doing the legal limit. But the only sure fire way not to get caught out is recognise the road your on, know the national speed limits for your vehicle type, long wheelbase Sprinter type vans and some 4 x 4 pick ups, are subject to HGV type limits and, look out for speed limit signs.

Generally speaking, built up areas 30mph and sometimes 20, single carriageway 60 unless lower limit in force, duals and motorways 70.

I think anyone would be a bit unlucky to get a speeding ticket for driving at 80 on a motorway unless in roadworks, heavy rain and reduced visibility but, if you go well the speedometer in the car is 10% out, I can do an indicated 88 and shouldnt get pulled, you're pushing your luck.

I had a mate who had a Lotus and got pulled twice in 7 days on the M58!

Screenshot from 2021-09-16 11:49:42.png

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im not sure there's any app that accurately gives the speed limit on all roads. Id certainly be wary of trusting an app if you do have 6 or more points on your licence.

We all speed and get hacked off stuck behind someone who's doing the legal limit. But the only sure fire way not to get caught out is recognise the road your on, know the national speed limits for your vehicle type, long wheelbase Sprinter type vans and some 4 x 4 pick ups, are subject to HGV type limits and, look out for speed limit signs.

Generally speaking, built up areas 30mph and sometimes 20, single carriageway 60 unless lower limit in force, duals and motorways 70.

I think anyone would be a bit unlucky to get a speeding ticket for driving at 80 on a motorway unless in roadworks, heavy rain and reduced visibility but, if you go well the speedometer in the car is 10% out, I can do an indicated 88 and shouldnt get pulled, you're pushing your luck.

I had a mate who had a Lotus and got pulled twice in 7 days on the M58!

Screenshot from 2021-09-16 11:49:42.png

I was actually on a dual carriageway yesterday, turns out it had 40mph limit. Couldn't see any signs either, I was doing between 45-50mph, then I spot a mobile speed camera. Hopefully I just scrape through but I'm fully expecting another fine and points.

I'm gonna just drive around at 30mph now unless I see a sign.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The police will tolerate 10% of speed limit plus 2mph. So 46 in a 40 is just about OK. Anything above is going to trigger a camera. 

It'll be touch and go I think. Either way, lesson learned. I'll be tailgated to fuck from now on but tough shit.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

I intend to do that from now on but would like an app for further peace of mind as well. 

I got caught out loads previously, because in all honesty it used to be difficult for me to not creep over 30mph. I probably still will occasionally too. Got collared twice in a week about ten years ago at the town end of Stanley Road. I just tend to keep my eye on the speed a lot more now.  

10 minutes ago, Jennings said:

My car has a HUD. It shows my speed and the current speed limit.

hqdefault.jpg

Ha! Repped.

I’ve been caught three times the last year from rushing around and not concentrating in between fares. Chasing the money. 

Did a speed awareness course but had to rightly take the hit for the other two. Fuming with myself as I’d gone over 20 years without any speeding points. Foolishly as 20 year old got caught with no insurance when moving a car I had from one drive to another. Take a chance, you get caught, you got to take it.

Waze is the best for updates on where speed cameras are. 

3 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Ha! Repped.

I’ve been caught three times the last year from rushing around and not concentrating in between fares. Chasing the money. 

Did a speed awareness course but had to rightly take the hit for the other two. Fuming with myself as I’d gone over 20 years without any speeding points. Foolishly as 20 year old got caught with no insurance when moving a car I had from one drive to another. Take a chance, you get caught, you got to take it.

Waze is the best for updates on where speed cameras are. 

Unlucky. How far was the journey?

The wife is free to download. Not only will she remind you of the speed limit, she’ll also critique all other elements of your driving, insist you don’t use the SatNav then blame you when you get lost and end up being late.

InApp purchases include options where she will complain about your music choices, alter the car temperature and moan about something you may, or may not, have done in 1998.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

Unlucky. How far was the journey?

Old Roan to Melling. It was still stupid to take it out on the road.

What takes it up a level in stupider stakes, was for me to think that it would be better doing it 4 o’clock in the morning before we went fishing. 

The car was getting some work done by my mate and was sat on my aunties drive. I’d kipped over where the car was, as I was going with my Uncle. My mate had also stopped over. 

So gets up decides to take the car to where it needs to go and meet my Uncle there so he could pick us up and carry on. 

Gets pulled up literally 25 metres from where I needed to be. 

Back then it was just a producer, but they were sound with me but what I didn’t know was that my mate had a record of assault. Plus as I’d tried to do some mechanical work on the car, there was a wheel brace in the footwell on the passenger side. 

Hence them keeping us there for over an hour while they quizzed my mate. And stung me with the producer.

Rico will love that amount of stupid. 

3 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The police will tolerate 10% of speed limit plus 2mph. So 46 in a 40 is just about OK. Anything above is going to trigger a camera. 

Got done for doing 35 in a 30 zone about 18 months ago. That doesn't quite fit in with the 10% plus two. Probably just depends on whatever priorities they have on a particular week or month.

14 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Always thought the speedo was more accurate a lower speeds so at 30 it'd be 5% out and 80 10% out or similar so 35 would get you nicked whereas 88 would be ok although I think it would still get you done

Fastest I ever go on the Motorway is 85

I’ve done the M1 all the way back up north and back never letting the needle leave the 90/100mph mark dozens of times and have never been flashed, ticketed, caught.

Hackney/London?

Every fucking week I get another letter about some made up rule or other, cunts.

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I’ve done the M1 all the way back up north and back never letting the needle leave the 90/100mph mark dozens of times and have never been flashed, ticketed, caught.

Hackney/London?

Every fucking week I get another letter about some made up rule or other, cunts.

How? Plenty of people I know have been done for speeding on the M1 and have the pictures to prove it.  Do you have an invisibility car?

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

How? Plenty of people I know have been done for speeding on the M1 and have the pictures to prove it.  Do you have an invisibility car?

No idea.

Just never happened.

I assume they load the cameras at the London end which is always a fucking nightmare and you rarely get above 40/50 for miles. Once you hit the Amazon warehouse it’s fair game.

I doubt it’s luck, maybe the car is invisible.