You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: I honestly thought Divock would leave in the summer

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has lavished praise on Divock Origi after the striker played a valuable role in Liverpool’s stirring 3-2 win against AC Milan in the opening game of the Champions League group stage.

In a game which Liverpool had to come from behind to win despite dominating for the majority of the 90 minutes, it was a opportunity for some squad players to get some valuable minutes.

One of them was Origi, a player who has a special place in the hearts of many Liverpool fans for his exploits in this same competition two years ago.

However instead of using that level of confidence to take his game to the next level, the Belgian has flattered to deceive and in more recent times has been on the periphery of the squad.

Indeed this fixture against the Italian giants saw the 26 year-old clock up his first minutes for the senior team this season and his first start since the 31st of January against West Ham.

It almost seemed a matter of time before Origi was going to move on in the summer, however that time never came to pass and it even left the manager a bit surprised as he explained after the thrilling fixture per the Echo.

“To be 100 percent honest, I thought he would leave in the summer, but the football world is a crazy place and obviously people forgot how good he is.

“So I have said this, it is really difficult to get in this team and it's just that we have to work and I have to decide.

"There are difficult decisions who to pick, who to bring on and Divock has done nothing wrong.

“He trains, he gives everything and sometimes you still don't play [yourself] into the squad and that can happen when everyone's fit.

"In 10 years time' when people look back he will be a Liverpool legend. He is too young to be seen as a legend already so he has to play football.”

Origi who came into the starting lineup for Sadio Mane, played just over a hour and certainly made an impact playing a perfectly weighted ball for Mo Salah to run onto and equalise just after half time.

Klopp was certainly praiseworthy of his efforts on the night.

image.png

“Divock Origi is an outstanding striker and he did really well tonight. It's just really difficult to get in this team to be honest.

“He wasn't injured, he got a cramp, which is normal and for now that is just it.

"I am really happy today to give him the opportunity and that he used it like he did.

“It's just really difficult to get in this team to be honest.

“That is what makes life sometimes a bit uncomfortable but Divock is a great guy."

View full article

44 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

I thought he did well when we were all over them, as soon as they got a foothold in the game he disappeared, its his lack of fight and determination which hinder him not his ability.

Even coming off when there’s fuck all wrong way him tells you a lot.  First start since January and doesn’t want to leave it all on the pitch.

1 hour ago, SlugTrail said:

I thought he did well when we were all over them, as soon as they got a foothold in the game he disappeared, its his lack of fight and determination which hinder him not his ability.

I don't know, he had a couple of moments where he smartly drove the ball up the pitch or won an easy free kick to help when they were having a go. Overall he worked well and looked part of the team, but lacked that edge to get into a goalscoring position a bit more.

4 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

26 year old who should be in the form of his life leaving the pitch with a cramp. hes just not ment to be a footballer, at least not at liverpool. 

What does his age have to do with that? He's not played competitive football in a while and was working hard, hence the cramp. He was never finishing the game regardless.

It's clear Jurgen doesnt think Origi is shit, a turd, a cunt, a waste of space etc, etc.

He's probably had a talk with him and told him he's available for transfer if the club get a good enough offer.

Equally clearly, no firm offers came in for Divock and for whatever reason, the much talked of move in the Echo to Turkey didnt materialise.

I dont bear Div any grudge. I think a lot of people make stuff up about players they dont like \ they think shouldnt be at the club any more. But, for Div to move on, someone has to buy. Until then, he's a member of Jurgen's squad as far as Im concerned.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I love the words he uses, "I thought he would leave", like he wouldn't have had anything to do with it.

Look Jurgen, the only way a player under contract would leave is if you and/or the club want to get rid of him.

Or maybe the club/Klopp said "Look its another season of bit part playing, if you want to go then fine, you'll probably have to accept lower wages and play for a side not in the Champions League or necessarily competing for honours but its up to you" 

18 hours ago, TLW said:

Jurgen Klopp has lavished praise on Divock Origi after the striker played a valuable role in Liverpool’s stirring 3-2 win against AC Milan in the opening game of the Champions League group stage.

In a game which Liverpool had to come from behind to win despite dominating for the majority of the 90 minutes, it was a opportunity for some squad players to get some valuable minutes.

One of them was Origi, a player who has a special place in the hearts of many Liverpool fans for his exploits in this same competition two years ago.

However instead of using that level of confidence to take his game to the next level, the Belgian has flattered to deceive and in more recent times has been on the periphery of the squad.

Indeed this fixture against the Italian giants saw the 26 year-old clock up his first minutes for the senior team this season and his first start since the 31st of January against West Ham.

It almost seemed a matter of time before Origi was going to move on in the summer, however that time never came to pass and it even left the manager a bit surprised as he explained after the thrilling fixture per the Echo.

“To be 100 percent honest, I thought he would leave in the summer, but the football world is a crazy place and obviously people forgot how good he is.

“So I have said this, it is really difficult to get in this team and it's just that we have to work and I have to decide.

"There are difficult decisions who to pick, who to bring on and Divock has done nothing wrong.

“He trains, he gives everything and sometimes you still don't play [yourself] into the squad and that can happen when everyone's fit.

"In 10 years time' when people look back he will be a Liverpool legend. He is too young to be seen as a legend already so he has to play football.”

Origi who came into the starting lineup for Sadio Mane, played just over a hour and certainly made an impact playing a perfectly weighted ball for Mo Salah to run onto and equalise just after half time.

Klopp was certainly praiseworthy of his efforts on the night.

image.png

“Divock Origi is an outstanding striker and he did really well tonight. It's just really difficult to get in this team to be honest.

“He wasn't injured, he got a cramp, which is normal and for now that is just it.

"I am really happy today to give him the opportunity and that he used it like he did.

“It's just really difficult to get in this team to be honest.

“That is what makes life sometimes a bit uncomfortable but Divock is a great guy."

View full article

He's not gone.

Get over it.