Jump to content
Trumo

C Palace (H) - Sat 18th Sep 2021 (3:00pm)

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


If we’d have bought somebody instead, they’d have been better. 

Yep! He's such a good option to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Grinch said:


Not even close.  Forward was dreadful and lunged in instead of getting his body in the way and taking the hit.

 

City also had a goal disallowed at the end that looked level tbh.  Won’t stop the cries of corruption tho.  End of the day, they dropped two points to utter shite at home so crack out the whiskey.

Shouldnt the line have been drawn from the ball not the City player for the offside goal, if so he was a long way offside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

How long is it since we lost a league game we led at half-time?

 

Scanning fixture lists…
 

Bournemouth away in 2016.

 

Roma away in the semi would be the last game.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scott_M said:

 

Scanning fixture lists…
 

Bournemouth away in 2016.

 

Roma away in the semi would be the last game.

We're good at football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did have a couple of dodgy defensive moments but if Zaha had scored when Allison clawed it out on to the post that would have been the jammiest goal ever.

 

Edouard’s chance that Allison took off his toe was the only real bad defending. Virgil was a bit out of position then Milner didn’t tuck in when Konate had two to cover. You’re going to get some of that with a defence that has never played together before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Scanning fixture lists…
 

Bournemouth away in 2016.

Was at that one. Scored some cracking goals, Can and especially Origi. Then Karius happened.

 

In fairness the defence went into Keystone Cops mode as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2021 at 21:25, Mook said:

I'm not convinced those sides would lose six home games on the bounce or whatever it was if they had two or three players out.

If City lost Stones Dias and Laporte for an extended period they would have to play Aki and a 36 year old Fernandinho at CB and would struggle to get 3rd.

If Chelsea lost Rudiger Silva and Chritiansen they would play James Azpilicueta and Chalobah at CB with Hudson-Odoi at wing back and would win fuck all. 

If United lost Varane Maguire and Lindelof they would have to play Phil Jones so might get relegated.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Razoray said:

If City lost Stones Dias and Laporte for an extended period they would have to play Aki and a 36 year old Fernandinho at CB and would struggle to get 3rd.

If Chelsea lost Rudiger Silva and Chritiansen they would play James Azpilicueta and Chalobah at CB with Hudson-Odoi at wing back and would win fuck all. 

If United lost Varane Maguire and Lindelof they would have to play Phil Jones so might get relegated.

The difference here is that if they lost them in September,say like VVD,they'd sign two replacements in January. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2021 at 10:26, Scott_M said:


If we’d have bought somebody instead, they’d have been better. 

We are 5 games in.

 

Lets talk about this at Christmas when the games have come thick and fast, consistently.

 

Our problem is never at the beginning of a season, its always post Christmas when things start to take their toll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2021 at 06:39, Elite said:

We could have quite easily brought someone in, don't try to patronise me with that bollocks. Just hope we don't end up massively short in midfield, it's a very valid concern.

Those that advocated for no spending are all billy big bollocks at the moment, even though we've only played five games and we have one guy out possibly for the season, a forward who has just missed 3 games (and hopefully back next week) and now we have Thiago injured. We already had Milner miss a match after Norwich with a knock.

 

We play fast, physical football week in week out, it takes its toll on the team. All anyone asked for is some options off the bench.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We are 5 games in.

 

Lets talk about this at Christmas when the games have come thick and fast, consistently.

 

Our problem is never at the beginning of a season, its always post Christmas when things start to take their toll.


Not the point I was making.

 

Numerous posters have written Milner off. Old Man Milner and questioning virtually every performance.

 

He came up against Zaha, who has previously given Milner a chasing, and didn’t give him a kick.

 

The point is, I doubt any signed under study would have done as well as Milner did on Saturday. Maybe not 2/3 times a week, but Milner still has the ability to significantly contribute this season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


Not the point I was making.

 

Numerous posters have written Milner off. Old Man Milner and questioning virtually every performance.

 

He came up against Zaha, who has previously given Milner a chasing, and didn’t give him a kick.

 

The point is, I doubt any signed under study would have done as well as Milner did on Saturday. Maybe not 2/3 times a week, but Milner still has the ability to significantly contribute this season.

I thought Zaha would give Milner a roasting to be honest.

I was wrong and I'm happy about that. Milly was outstanding.

His match match recovery might take a bit longer these days, but what a player and what a pro he is.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I thought Zaha would give Milner a roasting to be honest.

I was wrong and I'm happy about that. Milly was outstanding.

His match match recovery might take a bit longer these days, but what a player and what a pro he is.

 


I was concerned as well. Milner has been sent off for us twice. Both against Palace. He was outstanding Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


Not the point I was making.

 

Numerous posters have written Milner off. Old Man Milner and questioning virtually every performance.

 

He came up against Zaha, who has previously given Milner a chasing, and didn’t give him a kick.

 

The point is, I doubt any signed under study would have done as well as Milner did on Saturday. Maybe not 2/3 times a week, but Milner still has the ability to significantly contribute this season.

Milner has good games and bad games. He played well saturday and had Zaha in his pocket, but I've also seen him get skinned by Zaha and sent off.

 

I like Milner, he is a solid pro and good for the team, but he can't play lots of games and we might find ourselves in that position if we get a bit of an injury wobble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2021 at 06:39, Elite said:

We could have quite easily brought someone in, don't try to patronise me with that bollocks. Just hope we don't end up massively short in midfield, it's a very valid concern.

No one's patronising you. The fact is there are squad limits so this bollocks of buy someone to cover this oh, buy someone else to cover that and oh, buy a striker doesnt fit the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2021 at 10:26, Scott_M said:


They had about 4 minutes at Woodison last season. 

Thiago came on, didn't he?

 

Edit - or was that Chelsea? I think Fab was in defence at the Pit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This "we're short in midfield thing". We have two injured right now, one long term. So that's 6 fit centre mids, 8 in total. A backup available for the 3 positions. Is that supposed to be not enough now? Should we have guarded for injury by having 10 midfielders? That's reasonable. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This "we're short in midfield thing". We have two injured right now, one long term. So that's 6 fit centre mids, 8 in total. A backup available for the 3 positions. Is that supposed to be not enough now? Should we have guarded for injury by having 10 midfielders? That's reasonable. 

The problem is that most of our midfielders are injury prone and the back ups are shite.

 

We could end up in a situation with Keita, Chamberlain and Jones. Which would derail our season. That's the worry.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, m0e said:

Thiago came on, didn't he?

 

Edit - or was that Chelsea? I think Fab was in defence at the Pit.


No, Hendo, Fabinho and Thiago started at Woodison.

 

Gomez came on for VVD.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

This "we're short in midfield thing". We have two injured right now, one long term. So that's 6 fit centre mids, 8 in total. A backup available for the 3 positions. Is that supposed to be not enough now? Should we have guarded for injury by having 10 midfielders? That's reasonable. 

Hello McFly?

 

Those players we have left have poor injury records. If OX and keita and Henderson can stay fit all year then great, no problem. But past experience shows they can't be overly relied on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Hello McFly?

 

Those players we have left have poor injury records. If OX and keita and Henderson can stay fit all year then great, no problem. But past experience shows they can't be overly relied on. 

They don't all have to stay fit all year. If they have normal levels of injury, we will be OK; if they have the kind of thing that keeps you out for half a season or more, then we'll have problems.

 

Don't get me wrong, I wanted us to sign a proper replacement for Wijnaldum; but I don't think that the fact we didn't spells disaster for our season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×