You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

C Palace (H) - Sat 18th Sep 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

20 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Good solid win for what i reckon was a tricky old game.

Just hope Thiago is alright, we are starting to pick up a few knocks. Whats the eta on Firmino?

On Premier sport  they said he was due back in training next week

I thought the result flattered us,but a professional and hard working performance won the day. I think Zaha needs to put different boots on because he seems unable to stay on his feet in his current pair. Big credit to Alisson for a couple of important saves too. Two great goals from Mo and Keita also. Yet another clean sheet. 

PS Konate did much better than the friendly performance I saw from him,and he's a big lad.

49 minutes ago, an tha said:

Good result - 3 pts and back to winning ways.

Felt like a bit of a weird one though and that we didn't play all that well.

I suppose some defensive issues were inevitable with all the changes and lets face it Alisson saved us big time at least twice.

I thought Milner handled Zaha better than thought he would - helped out a fair bit by Henderson, who took a card of course helping Milner out!

Konate looked a bit nervous to me and seemed to be tentative at times, i suppose it is understandable that he would be though - first game nerves...having to try and settle into what was a much changed back line - he settled alright, but just at times looked a touch uncomfortable on the ball - a bit of rust along with nerves maybe?

That Jota miss - WTF! Why try and smash it, just make soft contact and you can't miss.

Thiago another injury casualty? Didn't look great did it?

Thought the Mane finish and even more so the Salah finish for 2nd were both sharp and smart and Keita's was a lovely hit.

It felt a bit edgy until that 2nd went in.

Winning when not at best/much changed is a good sign though and if we can keep doing it when we need to we will be set fair...

When you say "back to winning ways", you're referring to...?

• Upvote 1

Bit of a weird game that one. Jurgen heralded the changes to make a bit of a mockery over our lack of squad depth claims. Rested Trent, Robbo and Joel, in came Milner, Tsmikas and Konate.

Once again, massive queues waiting to get in the ground although I admit, I was a bit later today rocking up about 25 minutes before kick off. it doesnt help when more than a couple of cunts though come sauntering past everyone queuing and then push in right in front of the turnstile.

It kicked off a bit in front of me when a couple of lads tried the trick. Plenty of verbals and threats flying around while the head steward just told the lads to get to the back of the queue. Like fuck they took any notice. It's ok the head stewards pulling out women and kids for carrying a can of coke or other drink into the ground but stop a couple of cunts queue jumping, oh, as you were.

I thought the ref let some strange tackles go. hendo hauled down, Sadio wrestled down, Thiago ambushed at the side line. The only thing consistent is ref's inconsistency nowadays.

We seemed to run into a brick wall in the last third of the pitch. Plenty of effort but the guile and accuracy wasnt there. After a bit of sparring, Palace could have nabbed a couple of goal and Alli was fortunate to see the ball hit a post especially when he got caught in no man's land and nearly paid the price.

I was fearing it was going to be one of those game we were not going to score when after a goalmouth scramble, Jota was presented with a virtual open goal with the keeper stranded.

A nice deft touch and 1-0 was assured. Except Jota decided he wanted to burst the net from a couple of yards and sent the ball high and wide of post and bar!

It looked like we were heading into half time 0-0 but again another cross which Mo got his head on. Now, im not sure whether it was a very good save or a butter fingers job but the keeper didnt hold onto the ball allowing Sadio to smash it into the net for what was his 100th Liverpool goal.

I heard later on the radio that was the 9th time Sadio has scored  against Palace and is some kind of record. Nice one Sadio!

It might be easy to fall into the trap and say we didnt play good football but, I dont think that's total fair on Palace. They made a decent fist of things but Zaha was never really in the game. Some said he got a shoulder injury in the first half which affected his game. There were a couple of dives from him and some of his teammates though.

The second half was edgy with the score still only being 1-0 and if it hadnt been for Alli on more than one occasion, the tension and complaints about Jurgen's team selection might have been very different.

Once again, we had a number of corners but no real threat from them. Virgil had another effort he really should have worked the keeper but instead headed high and wide.

We had to wait until arouns the 80th minute before a flick on from a corner allowed Mo to smash in number 2 and begin to give the scoreline some respectaility.

With the minutes ticking by, another corner was knocked out to everyone's favourite player, Keita. At least the boy showed a glimps of why we paid over £50m for him when a lovely strike from the edge of the box flew into the Kop goal. 3-0 and deffo game over.

And really, you cannot complain too much at that Id say. Yes, the ref was inconsistent again, yes, getting in the ground is an utter farce but, Jurgen showed the strength of his squad and came away with a 3-0 victory.

I thought Konate had a quiet debut even if I thought he'd get it against Norwich. He only had one real dodgey moment I can recall when he got caught one of one with a palace player. There was a bit of shirt tugging going on and if the player had of gone down in the box, might the ref \ VAR given a pen? Alli made a brilliant firm handed save to make sure the ball didnt end up in the net.

People and pundits can write us off at their peril. The reds have got no money but we'll still win the league!

• Upvote 6

Sorry about my insane rant about Jota. I lost it completely after that miss.

I don’t rate him as high as many fans do, but that was way over the top.

In the end it was a very good day; 3 points against a very good and underrated opponent. Our best 11 is nearly unbeatable. The only worry is the lack of quality options in midfield/attack  when we now enter a gruelling match period with two important matches every week unril december (except for the national breaks). We can not afford Thiago to be out for a long time.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Judge said:

Sorry about my insane rant about Jota. I lost it completely after that miss.

I don’t rate him as high as many fans do, but that was way over the top.

In the end it was a very good day; 3 points against a very good and underrated opponent. Our best 11 is nearly unbeatable. The only worry is the lack of quality options in midfield/attack  when we now enter a gruelling match period with two important matches every week unril december (except for the national breaks). We can not afford Thiago to be out for a long time.

Literally.

But to be fair, we've had this poor squad narrative for years now

You talk about our best 11, but we missed 3 of the back 4 today, and our #9.

And we still won comfortably.

Just enjoy the ride, buddy. It ain't gonna last.

• Upvote 4

Enjoyed that so much. So good to be back. Great atmosphere compared to many games like that I’ve been to over the years. Never got edgy in the stands when it so easily could’ve.

Thought Mo was phenomenal, and worked so damned hard tracking back helping Milner, who himself did really well against Zaha.

Konate (who my iPhone wants to autocorrect to Konstantinos for some reason) impressed, especially the way he marshalled Benteke when he got in behind in the first half that time.

Allison makes all saves look so routine, he’s just so reassuring.

Thought Tsimikas was good again.

Jota had a mare, even if you ignore his sitter miss, but he’ll be sound. Just one of those games.

thought Jones added a lot of needed energy in the minutes he got, and obviously Keira’s goal was boss

• Upvote 2

Fucking injuries...we seem to be deeply unlucky and have been for a while now on the injury front.

Could really do with it turning, that aside we look like we are in decent shape and set fair for a potentially good season - the fear is the injuries will derail us and our smallish squad will be over stretched by them if they keep coming as they have been and are.

41 minutes ago, m0e said:

Literally.

Talking sense doesn’t fly here…

43 minutes ago, m0e said:

Literally.

This is one game at home to Crystal Palace.

We all saw how the squad stood up to two or three first eleven injuries between Boxing Day & the end of March last season & it was record breaking stuff in all the wrong ways.

The midfield is already starting to creak a bit this season after a Summer where a lot of Reds pointed out that not replacing Wijnaldum might prove costly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the ride immensely but it's a bit of a tightrope we're on.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

We all saw how the squad stood up to two or three first eleven injuries

It really is every side though - I would include City and Chelsea in that boat tbh.

City lose Dias, Gundogan and Walker. Can they win the title?

Chelsea lose Rudiger, Jorginho and Havertz. Can they?

If United lose one of their donkeys in midfield they are looking at a run with Matic. That does not win it.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It really is every side though - I would include City and Chelsea in that boat tbh.

City lose Dias, Gundogan and Walker. Can they win the title?

Chelsea lose Rudiger, Jorginho and Havertz. Can they?

If United lose one of their donkeys in midfield they are looking at a run with Matic. That does not win it.

I'm not convinced those sides would lose six home games on the bounce or whatever it was if they had two or three players out.

48 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm not convinced those sides would lose six home games on the bounce or whatever it was if they had two or three players out.

Your memory must be playing up if you think we had only two or three players out. Virgil, Joe, Joel, Jota and Hendo were all out for long periods last season and other players including Fabinho missed games during that shit patch too.