You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

C Palace (H) - Sat 18th Sep 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

A Saturday 3:00pm kick off? What is this sorcery? Rarer than hen's teeth those nowadays, as to me it always seems we're in that late Saturday or last-game-on-Sunday slot. What do we need?

Nous. Intensity. Nerve. Efficiency. Nuisance factor. Impudence. Luck.

I don't ask for much.

The corresponding fixture last season was the last game of the season, where a Sadio brace secured a 2-0 win and a place in this season's Champions League. We'd found an upsurge in form while those ahead of us began to falter, and we ended up finishing 3rd.

Of course the game from yesteryear has to be the 9-0 tonking we dished out to Steve Coppell's Palace side in mid-September 1989. It was Aldo's last game as we'd sold him to Real Sociedad, and one of the abiding memories was of him lashing most of his kit into the Kop at the end. He's done some very questionable things off the field, and could be a bit of a hothead on it at times, but there is no doubting his love for LFC. He doesn't try to hide his bias which is why he does punditry and co-commentator for local radio and the club channel rather than at national level.

Anyway, my other main memory is of a great chipped goal from McMahon. Palace's goalkeeper Perry Suckling never really recovered from the trauma of this game, and Palace replaced him with a young Nigel Martyn soon after this game, making him the country's first million-pound goalkeeper in the process. Nicol got 2, Gillespie and Hysen both got on the scoresheet, and the attacking threat of Barnes, Beardsley, Rush and Aldo saw each of them register a goal. Mark Bright has been a bitter bastard when talking about us ever since. Incidentally, I never realised Palace's Geoff Thomas had skied a penalty over the bar in this game either.

The top film at the box office in mid-September 1989 was Sea Of Love, starring Al Pacino as an alcoholic burned-out homicide detective, and Ellen Barkin co-starring as the love interest whose ex is the murderer offing all her dates. Pacino's played the same sort of role to more telling effect in the likes of Heat. It's not a bad film, and is as coherent and watchable as any decent film in the thriller genre, but at the same time there is nothing particularly memorable about it. Ellen Barkin has a bit of a weird face too.

Anyway, Palace. Now managed by Vieira and looking to have settled down a bit. I read that they had a dozen players out of contract in the summer. Andros Townsend went to the shite but I can't remember if anyone else left as, Odsonne Edouard aside, they seem to have the exact same team as last year. They still have a bit of pace and goal threat in attack with the likes of Zaha.

But we have plenty of threats of our own. As ever, it's about us playing with the right attitude and intent as if we play like we are capable of, we could very well blitz this lot again. It might not be as goal-heavy as in 1989 but we are more than capable of getting the job done and getting the 3 points. Just get it done.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Alisson; Trent, Konate, Van Dijk, Tsimikas; Henderson, Milner, Thiago; Salah, Jota, Mane

Milner on the right hand side of midfield to help Trent out against Zaha. I also wouldn’t be massively against Gomez starting this game as a RB to nullify Zaha, because of his pace.

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Had no idea he played for Palace

Wasn't he around there as a youngsters and was played wide a few times with Wright and Bright the options up top for Coppell. Collymore, surprisingly was having none if it and dropped down a couple of divisions to Southend, I think,  to get games

1 minute ago, Razoray said:

Wasn't he around there as a youngsters and was played wide a few times with Wright and Bright the options up top for Coppell. Collymore, surprisingly was having none if it and dropped down a couple of divisions to Southend, I think,  to get games

That’s exactly how it went.  One goal at Palace then dropped down the leagues and smashed them in.

Had to go on Wiki to check if it was, no memory of him there at all.  Such a waste of talent, the man had it all.

32 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Alisson; Trent, Konate, Van Dijk, Tsimikas; Henderson, Milner, Thiago; Salah, Jota, Mane

Milner on the right hand side of midfield to help Trent out against Zaha. I also wouldn’t be massively against Gomez starting this game as a RB to nullify Zaha, because of his pace.

We’re Liverpool, they’re Palace. You wouldn’t be against taking the best RB & our most creative player out to nullify a player that has 1 good game every 10 & is fucking shit. Let them worry about us, Zaha is shit defensively & Trent will have plenty of space to work his magic. You’d actually weaken the midfield by playing Milner & lose Trent just because of Wilfred fucking Zaha?  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

We’re Liverpool, they’re Palace. You wouldn’t be against taking the best RB & our most creative player out to nullify a player that has 1 good game every 10 & is fucking shit. Let them worry about us, Zaha is shit defensively & Trent will have plenty of space to work his magic. You’d actually weaken the midfield by playing Milner & lose Trent just because of Wilfred fucking Zaha?  

Zaha is not shit, and hee’s their only real threat. You nullify him, then you nullify Palace. Trent also could do with a rest IMO. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Zaha is not shit, and hee’s their only real threat. You nullify him, then you nullify Palace. Trent also could do with a rest IMO. 

Zaha IS shit. Soooo overrated, he might be their best threat, means fuck all. He’s 28, been back at Palace since 2014. Why do you think no big clubs gave took him? I find it amazing that you’d take our highest source of assists & brilliance of Trent out of our team AND play Milner to counter Zaha. Wow. Sounds like you’d be happy with a draw!

7 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Zaha IS shit. Soooo overrated, he might be their best threat, means fuck all. He’s 28, been back at Palace since 2014. Why do you think no big clubs gave took him? I find it amazing that you’d take our highest source of assists & brilliance of Trent out of our team AND play Milner to counter Zaha. Wow. Sounds like you’d be happy with a draw!

I said one or the other, not both. 

They played genuinely well last weekend. If they turn out the same it could turn into a tricky one. Especially with Zaha in behind Trent. 

But that said, we'll have a plan for that. And we're class and playing aggressively, keep them penned in and get the game won.

29 minutes ago, Pidge said:

They played genuinely well last weekend. If they turn out the same it could turn into a tricky one. Especially with Zaha in behind Trent. 

But that said, we'll have a plan for that. And we're class and playing aggressively, keep them penned in and get the game won.

They did play well against Spurs, that Gallagher kid seems a player, but I honestly think with Palace, you stop Zaha and that’s them done.

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

Milner would get booked inside 5 minutes against Zaha, Gomez at right back too probably. He's played once in how long? and that was at centre back.

• Like 1