You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher: Salah goes under the radar at Liverpool

TLW

Jamie Carragher believes that Mo Salah is still underrated despite his fine record for the club.

The Egyptian superstar scored his 100th Premier League goal in the Reds 3-0 win against Leeds on Sunday.

98 of those goals have come in Liverpool colours from just 155 league appearances while his overall record for the club has him on 128 goals from 208 games.

It is why Carragher says that the impact of Salah has been such a important factor in the success of the team and why he is just as vital to future prospects.

Sky Sports reported the Liverpool great as saying:

"He is massively important and sometimes I feel sorry for Mo Salah because I think he goes under the radar in terms of Liverpool.

"When people talk about Liverpool winning the league, they always go back to Liverpool signing Alisson and Virgil Van Dijk. Mo Salah came in six months before [Van Dijk].

“It is the three of them but everyone mentions that it was the goalkeeper and the centre-back that took Liverpool to this next level. Mo Salah is a huge part of that.”

Consistency and durability are two major aspects that make a great player and Carragher believes that having a player like that in your ranks is incredibly invaluable.

“We should not forget as well that Salah plays from the right. Yes, he is a wide forward but he does not play through the centre. He is Johnny on the spot.

“If he goes a few games without a goal you just think there is one coming because it is Mo Salah. That is just how it is."

salah8_600.jpg

While this summer was largely noted for re-signings more than new players arriving at the club, the pundit believes money should not be an issue when locking away the 29 year-old.

“Now, he (Salah) obviously wants a few quid. And rightly so. Good luck to him. He deserves it. He deserves to be one of the highest paid players in the Premier League for what he has done since he came to Liverpool, he really does.

"He is never injured and year after year he is top goalscorer. He just is. That is what he is.”

The former Centre-back who made 737 appearances for Liverpool across 17 seasons is very well placed to assess where Salah sits in the pecking order when it comes to all-time greats.

“When you pick your all-time Liverpool XI, there are positions where you just think, 'He is in.' Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness, John Barnes, Steven Gerrard, Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish. You could fill all those positions no matter what this team does.

“There is nobody you ever think of on the right. Mo Salah will be in that position when he finishes his Liverpool career. He will be in that all-time Liverpool XI. There is no doubt for me about that.”

·        

View full article

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Razoray said:

Terry Mac or Keegan used to get in my team on the right. Definitely Mo now. 

Players I’ve actually watched based on their peak.

Alisson; Trent, Carra, Virgil, Robbo; Hamann, Alonso, Gerrard; Salah, Suarez, Torres

Luis playing off the left. 

31 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Players I’ve actually watched based on their peak.

Alisson; Trent, Carra, Virgil, Robbo; Hamann, Alonso, Gerrard; Salah, Suarez, Torres

Luis playing off the left. 

From your era, I'd have Hyypia over Carra and Fabinho over Hamann based on their peak.  Carra has a very good argument if you are giving points for longevity.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

From your era, I'd have Hyypia over Carra and Fabinho over Hamann based on their peak.  Carra has a very good argument if you are giving points for longevity.  

I went with a sweeper stopper combo at the back, Carra at his best was an excellent stopper, and would complement Van Dijk’s strengths well.

Didi and Fab would be very close. Did probably edged for technique and passing, but Fabinho definitely the more superior athlete, and probably would complement Xabi better. 

29 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I went with a sweeper stopper combo at the back, Carra at his best was an excellent stopper, and would complement Van Dijk’s strengths well.

Didi and Fab would be very close. Did probably edged for technique and passing, but Fabinho definitely the more superior athlete, and probably would complement Xabi better. 

If you are trying to put together the best team then though then, a forward line of Salah, Suarez, Mane is a better fit than Salah, Torres, Suarez for me then.

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Suarez Torres Salah with Gerrard in behind. Fap city.

Allison 

Trent Hansen Van Dijk Robertson 

Gerrard Souness

Salah Dalglish Barnes

Suarez

Maybe recency bias edging out Clem on goal, Neal and Hughes for full back positions and Rush up front. 

From what I've seen live

Allison - Easily the best keeper we've had since Clemence

Trent - Best in the world for 2 years and is still one of the best now, needs to get it back but looks like he's on his way there so far this season

Hyppia - I love Carragher but Hyppia was better 

VVD - No words needed

Robertson - Same as Trent. If only he had Bjornebyes left peg, but his isn't bad!

Fabinho - Mascherano was a beast but this fella is the sex and a beast 

Gerrard - No words needed

Alonso - Just a beautiful player

Salah - Unreal, so consistent since we signed him 

Torres - I loved Fowler, he's my all time favourite Red but this lad was phenomenal for two years, easily the best striker in the world 

Suarez - A born winner