You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds 0 Liverpool 3 (Sep 12 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Talk about a bittersweet result. Jesus. A 3-0 win at Leeds is always cause to feel happy, but seeing what happened to poor Harvey just really took the shine off it. Football is so cruel at times. The kid was about to be subbed and then that happens. Just horrible.

At least it was his ankle and not a broken leg as many first feared when they saw the replay. I didn’t see it and have absolutely no desire to either. I’m just relieved the injury was more Andre Gomes than Jim Beglin. I had a front row seat to the Beglin one (not literally, it was standing in those days but I was right by where it happened) and I still feel squeamish whenever I think about it even all these years later. An injury like that puts a career at risk. Thank God that isn’t what happened.

The incident saw the Leeds player given a red card and while I agree with the decision, I don’t think it was a ‘bad’ tackle and there was absolutely no intent to do anything but win the ball. The problem was because he’s jumped in from behind, his trailing knee landed on the back of Harvey’s calf and therefore it was endangering an opponent and a justified red card.

Granted, I wouldn’t be saying it’s a red if Harvey hadn’t been injured, but he was injured, and you just can’t let the offending player stay on in that situation. There was a very similar one not long after on Sadio which wasn’t even given as a free kick, but Sadio wasn’t hurt and so I wouldn’t be calling for a red card there, even if the tackles themselves were similar. One seriously injured an opponent, the other didn’t. So they aren’t ‘the same’ even if they were similar.

Going down to ten men actually helped Leeds. For one thing, it meant they couldn’t be quite as kamikaze as they had been prior that. Also though, we stopped playing for a while as clearly the players were affected by what had happened and they just stopped attacking and played keep ball for a while until eventually they played themselves back into the game.

It was just horrible and you could tell the players by shaken by it. It’s bad enough when any team-mate gets a bad injury, but when it’s a kid like Harvey who has been making such massive strides, it’s just upsetting for everyone.

We were 2-0 up at that point and the game was over anyway, but the feeling was always there that we could score five or six if we just sharpened up a bit in the final third. I say ‘we’ but I basically mean Sadio. At one point a graphic came up that showed Leeds having had nine shots, and Mané had ten! Astonishing really. Eventually he got his goal late on but he was getting increasingly pissed off at his own inability to put the ball in the onion bag.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Thing is, overall I thought this was more like the old Mane. Even when he was properly firing he'd have these games where he played really well and miss a bunch of chances. His overall play was really good, I thought. He looked really sharp, moved the ball well, his movement was good, he looked right at it. He was a bit more decisive. There was less of what we saw last season where he would tiredly just try and keep hold of the ball before getting easily tackled. Overall, I think it's a net positive despite the missed chances. I feel better about the possibility of him recapturing his better form after this.

• Upvote 4

I thought Pawson let play continue after the tackle on Harvey. It was only when he saw something going on that he brought play to a stop. Maybe I saw it wrong. 

I'm afraid I only got to see the MOTD coverage. Two tackles that you've not mentioned. One on Mo left him in a heap with no foul given. And later (I think it was) Mane had what seemed to be a clear penalty waved away. No replays for either incident, so I'm none the wiser as to whether Pawson is completely useless and biased, or completely utterly useless and biased. 

• Upvote 1

I know a lot are pissed off with Mane but I'm cool with it, I guess that old saying is true in that at least he's getting in the positions to actually miss them as for large parts of last season he wasn't even doing that.

I remember the Napoli deciding group game in 2018 when he could and should have had about 5 (thanks to Allison's late save it didn't matter) and that season and Mane didn't turn out too bad..For me he was starting to look like the Sadio of old  

• Upvote 5

Pretty much summed up my feelings , Dave , and interesting to see the first use of the word Chancellery in a body of writing since Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated.

The only thing that I was alarmed by and hasn't really been mentioned on the various threads was how long Andy Madley tried to find any excuse to chalk off Fab's goal.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

A few typos there, wonder if Dave was busy yesterday or something?

Wrote that as soon as I got home after a five hour round of golf followed by a four hour drive. I think the odd typo is acceptable on this occasion.

Mind you, it's no different to when I'm writing it after sitting around doing nothing all day.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

The only thing that I was alarmed by and hasn't really been mentioned on the various threads was how long Andy Madley tried to find any excuse to chalk off Fab's goal.

Yeah that was disconcerting, although I do think it was right that they checked it as Sadio was stood in front of the defender on the line. Not sure he was defo offside or not but it needed looking at. You could see after one or two looks though that the defender isn't blocking that regardless. Not sure why he needed a dozen looks at it, but it may just have been that he wanted to appear thorough.

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Wrote that as soon as I got home after a five hour round of golf followed by a four hour drive. I think the odd typo is acceptable on this occasion.

Mind you, it's no different to when I'm writing it after sitting around doing nothing all day.

Life can be tough - even for Muggle entrepreneurs. 

• Upvote 1

You can look at Sadio's performance in a couple of ways but, for me, it was his most influential performance for a long time (with the poss. exception of palace at the end of last season). Let's hope he's back.

Leeds fans are arseholes. I know this is a generalisation and a large number applauded Harvey off but the Norman Hunter end were giving us the "always the victim" and "you're going home in a Yorkshire ambulance" chants. After the game I followed 3 of their fans clearly itching for a scrap and picking on a young lad. Not sure what I would have done if it had kicked off in my presence but we went in different directions before it did.

Having said that, I heard some and saw the pic of Istanbul references and we, clearly, have our share of arseholes.

Good report and podcast, both spot on.

It's a bit early in the season for the 'pundits' to start swallowing their own bullshit about us so, I expect this crap of writing us off will continue to the New Year. No doubt then they'll claim us as the 'season's surprise package'!

I cant stand the pundits, they just talk bullshit. They all bull up united and chelsea with city to a lesser degree but still give a downer on us. Just what the fuck is it, do they just want the clubs throwing money around to be the bench mark? You'dthink we'd get credit for not being a money team but no, like some of our own fans, they think money is king.

Ive a mate who supports leeds but I cant stand them. Had a grudging respect for Revie's team but ridsdale and that current cunt of a chairman with his 'earn it' jibe, they can fuck right off. Since when does a chairman get invited after the match to share his thoughts on tv that it wasnt a red card?

Harvey's a great prospect but he really should keep his counsel quiet regard whether it was a red or not that put him out for 6 months.

• Upvote 1

Wasn’t the Fabinho yellow for that incident where the ball bounced into his hand? Seemed soft to me, you see penalties given for that but you don’t often see the defender booked too. I was a little concerned about how early he picked that up, then I remembered him bossing Messi around the pitch on a yellow card for 85 minutes or so and figured he’d be alright. And Mane reminded me of a couple of seasons ago where he’d regularly have a game like this, he’d usually follow it up with a goal or 2 in the next match so I’m putting the car on him to open the scoring against Milan

48 minutes ago, Manjo said:

Wasn’t the Fabinho yellow for that incident where the ball bounced into his hand? Seemed soft to me, you see penalties given for that but you don’t often see the defender booked too. I was a little concerned about how early he picked that up, then I remembered him bossing Messi around the pitch on a yellow card for 85 minutes or so and figured he’d be alright. And Mane reminded me of a couple of seasons ago where he’d regularly have a game like this, he’d usually follow it up with a goal or 2 in the next match so I’m putting the car on him to open the scoring against Milan

No I think it was for him being a little late in a nothing tackle around the half way line 

4 hours ago, Barnesey said:

You can look at Sadio's performance in a couple of ways but, for me, it was his most influential performance for a long time (with the poss. exception of palace at the end of last season). Let's hope he's back.

Leeds fans are arseholes. I know this is a generalisation and a large number applauded Harvey off but the Norman Hunter end were giving us the "always the victim" and "you're going home in a Yorkshire ambulance" chants. After the game I followed 3 of their fans clearly itching for a scrap and picking on a young lad. Not sure what I would have done if it had kicked off in my presence but we went in different directions before it did.

Having said that, I heard some and saw the pic of Istanbul references and we, clearly, have our share of arseholes.

Let us not forget "John Arne Riise, I wanna know how you broke his leg..."

3/4 of the Kop were singing that that day. Glass houses n' all that.

• dave u unpinned this topic