You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AC Milan (H) - CL, Wed 15th Sep 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

It's definitely not simple.

I've definitely arrived at that conclusion though.

He was given the #8, used up our entire budget, and was meant to take us to the next level.

Aquilanai was a replacement for Alonso, and was never expected to take us up a level. Same with Carrol and Torres. Balotelli and Suarez. All 3 players came in when a superior player fucked us off for a 'better' club.

Keita came in when we could have bought almost ANY player in world football.

As for Kozma, Dundee, Gonzalez, etc al, these were all clearly punts to beef up the squad.

As far as transfers go, they're not even in the same conversation.

Markovic is the only one who comes close to Keita in terms of the worst ever, and he was brought in as potential rather than ready made, which is why Keita 'wins it'.

Keita has been part of league and CL winning sides. That lot above maybe have a league Cup between them. He hasn't lived up to expectations and he is an infuriating cunt at times but he's not the worst signing ever.

In 10 years time he won't he mentioned when thus conversation comes around, he will be in with signings that just didn't work out like Ox, Clough or Collymore.

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I remember being on a platform in Athens in 2007, heading back to the Airport and a very uncomfortable nights sleep on a floor somewhere.

Our side of the platform was mostly reds, the other side mostly Milan fans. Obviously we were all disappointed and they were jubilant but both sets of supporters made time to show a bit of mutual respect.

It doesn’t always happen, it didn’t happen at other times on that day, but it was a nice couple of minutes on an otherwise dark day. 

My favourite part of that day was being in Syntagma Square when a load of Milan fans were coming out from the Metro station underneath. You could hear them coming, singing their songs, getting louder as they approached. And then they emerged from the tunnel into the square which was fucking rammed full of our fans and they instantly stopped singing and put their heads down and got out of dodge asap, it was boss. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

My favourite part of that day was being in Syntagma Square when a load of Milan fans were coming out from the Metro station underneath. You could hear them coming, singing their songs, getting louder as they approached. And then they emerged from the tunnel into the square which was fucking rammed full of our fans and they instantly stopped singing and put their heads down and got out of dodge asap, it was boss. 

I enjoyed Syntagma Square on the whole. 

A local guy was stood by us, said he’d just come for the atmosphere. A few hours in as we were getting well oiled, he disappeared.

I didn’t think much of it until he came back with shit loads of food to “help with the drinking”.

Kindness like that, trumps most things. It’s to my shame that I can’t remember his name. 

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I enjoyed Syntagma Square on the whole. 

A local guy was stood by us, said he’d just come for the atmosphere. A few hours in as we were getting well oiled, he disappeared.

I didn’t think much of it until he came back with shit loads of food to “help with the drinking”.

Kindness like that, trumps most things. It’s to my shame that I can’t remember his name. 

Overall it was a moody atmosphere that day, I didn’t like that. Kiev and Madrid were much better.

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

Overall it was a moody atmosphere that day, I didn’t like that. Kiev and Madrid were much better.

I wasn’t at either as my match going days were over by then. You’re right about the overall feel of the day in Athens though, they’re were some right dickheads about. I prefer to remember the kindness of my Greek friend.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

Must every thread deteriorate into scapegoating Keita? Seriously its EFC levels of obsession. He's not been close to what was expected; not the first and won't be the last. Wave him off, move on. 

If he was English and named Nobby Knight he'd get a fraction of hate. 

Meaning?.

It doesn't matter where you're from or what your name is, if you're shite you're shite.

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Aquilani was pretty expensive for the time. Balotelli wasn't cheap (and he was the exact opposite of what we needed). Diouf was expensive, shite and disruptive. There's an argument to be made for Carroll, too 

I'm not saying that Keita was a great signing, just that it's never simple to point to one player and say "he's our worst".

I've not said he is the worst. In fact i'd say the four you have mentioned are genuinely worse, in terms of end product. We have seen little bursts of Keita being decent, sadly it was mainly two years ago. I'm just suggesting lashing Keita in the same bracket as Kozma, Gonzalez and Dundee is a bit odd as not a huge amount was expected of any of those three.

So for me it's those four, Downing and Paul Stewart *shudders* 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Keita has been part of league and CL winning sides. That lot above maybe have a league Cup between them. He hasn't lived up to expectations and he is an infuriating cunt at times but he's not the worst signing ever.

In 10 years time he won't he mentioned when thus conversation comes around, he will be in with signings that just didn't work out like Ox, Clough or Collymore.

Any yet people still talk about Istvan Kozma and Sean Dundee?

I see the arguement that when a member of our squad is part of successful a era, they can't be seen as the "worst" anything.

I may even come round to that way of thinking.

But if you're going on medals as the reason to talk about successful signings, I can use the same arguement the other way round.

What was his actual contribution to those?

Adrian had a massive part to play in our league title, for example.

In our best period in over 30 years, think about what more we could have achieved had Keita not been such a flop.

Oxlade had a serious injury to contend with, and was bought well before we'd established ourselves as THE top side in world football.

He'll go down as a flop, but he made a massive impact in 2018. Clough made an impact in his time here. As did Collymore.

They have all, and will continue to be in footballing videos throughout history.

Keita won't.

Keita done me yesterday, beating players and then turning back into them then losing the ball, he offered fuck all again, always the safe option, at least when Curtis Jones come on he had a go and was driving at the defence, didn’t see that once from Keita, I honestly thought he was going to be an amazing signing but he’s been piss poor, sooner he’s gone the better, on another note Diaz looked good for Milan last night, ex city I believe…

very good on the ball.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I've not said he is the worst. In fact i'd say the four you have mentioned are genuinely worse, in terms of end product. We have seen little bursts of Keita being decent, sadly it was mainly two years ago. I'm just suggesting lashing Keita in the same bracket as Kozma, Gonzalez and Dundee is a bit odd as not a huge amount was expected of any of those three.

So for me it's those four, Downing and Paul Stewart *shudders* 

It is Markovic - cost 20 mil back in the day when that was a chunk - we had to subsidize his wages for five years and he left on a free.

Played about a dozen games for us.

17 minutes ago, m0e said:

Any yet people still talk about Istvan Kozma and Sean Dundee?

I see the arguement that when a member of our squad is part of successful a era, they can't be seen as the "worst" anything.

I may even come round to that way of thinking.

But if you're going on medals as the reason to talk about successful signings, I can use the same arguement the other way round.

What was his actual contribution to those?

Adrian had a massive part to play in our league title, for example.

In our best period in over 30 years, think about what more we could have achieved had Keita not been such a flop.

Oxlade had a serious injury to contend with, and was bought well before we'd established ourselves as THE top side in world football.

He'll go down as a flop, but he made a massive impact in 2018. Clough made an impact in his time here. As did Collymore.

They have all, and will continue to be in footballing videos throughout history.

Keita won't.

Kostma and Dundee where shite, if they cost £1 or a trillion dollars it wouldn't change that. Keita isn't shite, he's infuriating, he's a soft cunt, he's a massive let on expectations but he isn't shite. He has talent and has contributed to our success as much as anyone else outside our established first XI. The fact he was bought to contribute as much as those in the first XI is the issue. If the conversation was about Klopps  worst signings then he is I the running but he's not in any overall discussion. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

I wasn’t at either as my match going days were over by then. You’re right about the overall feel of the day in Athens though, they’re were some right dickheads about. I prefer to remember the kindness of my Greek friend.

I got that feeling in Athens too. Loads of gobshites giving us shit about "not being from Liverpool" and just a general feeling that things weren't gonna go well. Add into that the fucking spells of rain too.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, No2 said:

Kostma and Dundee where shite, if they cost £1 or a trillion dollars it wouldn't change that. Keita isn't shite, he's infuriating, he's a soft cunt, he's a massive let on expectations but he isn't shite. He has talent and has contributed to our success as much as anyone else outside our established first XI. The fact he was bought to contribute as much as those in the first XI is the issue. If the conversation was about Klopps  worst signings then he is I the running but he's not in any overall discussion. 

Sorry, I forgot to check in with you on what can be included and in which conversation.

That's me told.

3 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

I got that feeling in Athens too. Loads of gobshites giving us shit about "not being from Liverpool" and just a general feeling that things weren't gonna go well. Add into that the fucking spells of rain too.

Fucking hell i’d totally forgotten about the rain until you just mentioned it! Was generally a nice day wasn’t it but there were some huge downpours.