You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds (A) - Sun 12th Sep 2021 (4:30pm)

Trumo

The end of the international break sees a return to 3 games in a week, and as it's us, some players returning injured from international duty. That shit happens every year, it's like clockwork. That our first game back is on Sunday afternoon at least gives some of our players a bit of a breather before the intensity ramps up again. Last season's corresponding fixture finished 1-1 with Jota's second half strike being cancelled out by a later leveller from Leeds defender Llorente. We were going through a spell of not taking enough of our chances before getting sucker-punched, but it was an improvement on the January-February-March slump where we hardly created anything at times. With that said:

Tenacity. Ruthlessness. Obduracy. Understanding. Bravado. Liberty. Efficiency. Accuracy. Technique. Tactical know-how. Movement. Ingenuity. Longevity. Legs.

I don't ask for much.

Cast your minds back to mid-April 1991. We'd been generally pretty good up to February, but then that Everton game happened and pretty much unravelled the whole club. We were suddenly rudderless, had a lot of questionable signings like Carter and Speedie in the squad, Rosenthal was looking like a flash-in-the-pan after making his move permanent, the midfield were nowhere near as effective a unit as they'd been over the past few years. But the biggest issues were at the back. Hansen's sudden retirement after Kenny's resignation left us looking completely disorganised at the back. Grobbelaar and Nicol were becoming increasingly erratic. Hysen not only looked like a Saga advert model but started playing like one. Guys like Ablett, Staunton and Burrows were very inconsistent. As a collective, they were simply unable to cope with any sort of aerial bombardment, and Leeds had players who could take advantage.

And yet the game began so well. We were carving Leeds open at will in the first half and raced into a 4-0 lead inside half an hour thanks to Houghton, Molby, Speedie and Barnes. We looked great again. The second half was a different story, largely because our defence couldn't handle Leeds' Brexit-faced goal poacher Lee Chapman. He got a hat-trick and Carl Shutt got another, but thankfully Barnes had already got his second of the match so Leeds never actually got themselves level at any point. A proper game of two halves, and the two sides would have differing fortunes the following season.

Liverpool would win the FA Cup but they were a shadow of the team from the club's 80s heyday. Leeds though would go and grab the last league championship before the Premier League era. Their team that year had a smattering of good-but-not-great plus a few journeymen, but as a unit they proved extremely effective. Lukic in goal; Sterland, Fairclough, Whyte and Dorigo at the back; Gary Mac and Batty in the centre of midfield with captain Strachan and Gary Speed offering width; and a front line of Chapman and Rod Wallace, later supplemented by the arrival of French quasi-philosopher and all-round headcase Eric Cantona. They were Leicester under Ranieri.

Number one movie? With these box-office additions I've noticed that the site I'm getting the info from looks at the US box office. Top of the pile in mid-April 1991 was Steven Seagal actioner Out For Justice. It's titled like a second-tier actioner (ie, one that didn't star Arnie, Bruce or Sly), and the plot synopsis reads like a second-tier actioner - the grizzled cop looking to avenge his partner's brutal murder by some typical gangsters. I've never seen it but it sounds like any number of other films I have seen. I was just thinking of how many Seagal-headlined films I've actually watched, and I can only think of a couple of Under Siege films. He might have done more than two of them, but I can't remember. He's like Van Damme, Lundgren or Chuck Norris. They've all got an extensive back catalogue, most of which I've never been arsed to watch. Seagal only ever has one facial expression no matter what emotion he's supposed to be portraying.

Anyway, Dirty Leeds (have to drop that reference once at least). They aren't actually that dirty these days, and last season proved to be a highly entertaining watch. Bielsa's teams generally are. They've lost attacking left-sided defender (or was he a midfielder, or maybe a forward?) Alioski, but added Junior Firpo from Barcelona. I remember Firpo being linked with us back when Moreno was the first-choice left back with Milner as the alternative. Betis wanted something like £20m for a Spanish U21, so that was never happening. Firpo was a bit-part player at the Nou Camp, failing to displace Jordi Alba, but I would think he should be a regular starter under Bielsa.

Leeds can be dangerous, but we can be even more dangerous. We have a glamour tie with Milan a few days later but the players and staff should give the Leeds match the right focus, preparation and determination. Do that, put them under siege, don't put ourselves on deadly ground, get our executive decision right and make sure we leave with the 3 points and without any exit wounds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Potentially no Alisson, Fabinho or Jota.

Firmino injured that we know of.

Going to be tough if we are missing all those players.

I believe Raphinha could be in same boat though.

Watch that little rat James score what will no doubt be his first and last goal this season for them!

Would fancy this as an away banker - but if we are weakened as looks possible it will be tough.

11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Are they not flying back?

Not gone has he....these stupid quarantine rules means players would have to self isolate for 10 days upon return, missing loads of games and not even training.

So clubs refused to release them, but looks like Brazil will ask FIFA to invoke a rule that stops players playing for clubs for 5 days after last international match of break if refused to release them.

My grammar is questionable and it’s all Leeds United’s fault.

I used to have an English lesson with one of my best friends. He has many qualities but a sense of reason deserts him whenever Leeds United are mentioned. Even though we were mostly good and they were mostly shit during the mid 80’s he still used to annoy me by claiming their floodlights were better than ours, they had better pies etc..

Somewhere along the line, whilst defending the Reds honour, I missed the bit about apostrophe use and when/when not to use a semi colon. 

This is just one of many reasons I despise Leeds U fucking nited.

Smash ‘em Reds. 

I think the only people who give a toss about leeds are reds from yorkshire or older reds who remember the 60's/early 70's well.

For the overwhelming majority of my lifetime and i am nearly 50 they have been irrelevant.

They matter about as much as west ham or fulham to me.

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

It’s a must win game.  They’re fucking wank, play open football and don’t have a single player that would make our match day squad.

No excuses, get it won.

Woah there. You’re doing a great injustice to a certain Patrick Bamford.

• Upvote 1

Take a few thousand cheap printed ‘earn it’ t-shirts and throw them into the crown after we four-nil these fuckers. I’ve got an idea you twats, well take a share of the PL viewing money based on the viewing figures for our games, and you can be left with the shitty little amount you’d be entitled to.

11 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

My grammar is questionable and it’s all Leeds United’s fault.

I used to have an English lesson with one of my best friends. He has many qualities but a sense of reason deserts him whenever Leeds United are mentioned. Even though we were mostly good and they were mostly shit during the mid 80’s he still used to annoy me by claiming their floodlights were better than ours, they had better pies etc..

Somewhere along the line, whilst defending the Reds honour, I missed the bit about apostrophe use and when/when not to use a semi colon. 

This is just one of many reasons I despise Leeds U fucking nited.

Smash ‘em Reds. 

Elland Road did admittedly have really good pies last time I was there, the Yorkshire Cunts and so forth. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You'd reduce us to two strikers just so Jota can man mark an opposition player? 

Somebody on here (I apologise can't remember who) described Phillips as great engine and limited ability I think that just about sums him up.

Fair fucks to him he has made more than the best of what he has got but if we are worried about him running the game next week we are in trouble