You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Aug 30 - Sep 3 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Aug 30:

Michael Edwards is apparently stepping down at the end of the season. Not good but probably not as catastrophic as a lot of people seem top fear it will be. Without wanting to diminish what he does, a big part of it seems to be analysing data to determine which players we should be looking at. Now maybe he set up the system that collates all that data, I don’t know, but the point is does it really matter which nerd we have crunching numbers? They’ve all got access to the same data.

So I don’t think our player recruitment will suffer if he’s replaced by one of his colleagues. Where we may be impacted is in negotiating with other clubs, as it seems like Edwards is a fucking king at that, or at least he was. Not been so great since Covid, but then in fairness he’s probably out of practice as they never let him spend any money. 

I guess what I’m saying is that the way analytics has taken over has reduced the need for the genius scout who can see a player for 10 minutes and know if he’s good enough or not. A Geoff Twentyman if you like. Someone like that is nigh on impossible to replace because it’s a skill you can’t teach. Analysing data is something you can teach.

I’d be more concerned about why he wants to leave. Maybe it’s just a change of scenery he wants after 10 years, but if it’s something else then that could be problematic. People will speculate that he’s fed up of having to tell Klopp he can’t have any new signings, or that he himself is fed up of identifying targets and then the club not spending the money to get them. It could be that, I have no idea. I doubt we’ll ever find out either.

Bizarre rumours linking Curtis with a move to Villa. If that happens I’m handing back my season ticket. It was bad enough seeing Gini leave while that waster Keita was allowed to stick around, but if he outlasts Curtis as well then count me out.

Also today, some interesting stuff on twitter from people joining the dots about Mendy’s arrest dates and him not only being allowed to play for City, but for the club to be going to bat for him when he was accused of having a house party during covid. Seems one of the terms of his parole was he wasn’t allowed to have house parties. Murky as fuck this, and City’s conduct is predictably shitty. What do you expect from people who feel they are untouchable and can do what they like and just lawyer up to avoid consequences. Cunt club. The absolute fucking worst.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

It was worth waiting, Dave.

As far as I’m concerned, Fekir always said the same thing about his agent being the reason why the deal collapsed. 

FSG isn’t perfect obviously but I agree with you Dave, not sure there are better options out there. Ouais.

On 08/09/2021 at 06:40, deiseach said:

Having failed to make a "clubs like Burnley, Watford, or Everton" comment in the most recent podcast - my wife burst out laughing at it while listening to the previous recording in the car - kudos for the Leon Osman reference. Good to see you've got your mojo back.

The opportunity didn't come up and I didn't want to force it. Needs to be natural to be effective.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic