You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Many Saints of Newark

johnsusername

If you're not an avid Sporanos fan, you'd be left thinking what the fuck did I just watch, it was enjoyable but forgettable.

Spoilers.

Johnny soprano massively under used, especially with the casting, one of my favourite actors. 

Juniors part was interesting,  I never got the sense from the Sopranos Junior was mocked and not a prominent figure. And then for it to turn out he was behind Dickie going, a bit strange to me.

Gandolfini played his part well but that's not a  face for Hollywood, won't be seeing much of him.

The race war, I'm struggling to believe Harold would not have been clipped in retaliation,  at the very least to throw the other familys off the scent of it being Junior. Let alone him flashing the cash in a white neighbourhood still.

The more I reflect on this movie the shitter it becomes.

An absolute bastardisation of some of the greatest characters in TV history.

They should have just gone with the young Tony Soprano angle, with a different actor. All the other stuff was largely pointless fluff.

I've watched a few episodes of the show since, which doesn't help matters.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elite said:

They should have just gone with the young Tony Soprano angle, with a different actor. All the other stuff was largely pointless fluff.

I think I might give it a little while and watch it again without any expectations. I agree though, the more you think on it, the shutter it gets. 

6 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I enjoyed it. But the Silvio shouldn't have been in it. Pretty sure he's meant to be the same age as Tony in the series. It really felt like a bloke doing a bad impression 

I did enjoy the story though, surprised junior was behind the murder

I always felt tony, Jackie aprile, tony b and ralphie were meant to be of an age, while silvio, Paulie and richie aprile were a little older. 

Shooting livia through the beehive was cringe personified,  I thought chase was better than that, I know the sopranos very well, very well, I've watched it all 6 times over, and the last two I had two explain every single fucking scene to my bird who's allegedly a fan. You're a fan  yeah??? Course you are that's why I have to tell you who rusty is, the fuck outta here, ending with 'woke up this morning' it made me think did Chase even play a part, cringe again.

14 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Anyone viewing this thread from here really should expect spoilers anyway. I saw this last night.

I don't know if it was just me or indeed it was meant (with the tony wants to fuck his mother stuff from the sopranos), but she really reminded me of Carmella. At times I thought it was her or she was trying to play her.

It felt to me a bunch of sopranos fans when asked what would be good about a prequel, just picked out little lines from the show and they wanted to show horn them in. "What was syl like without his wig". There you go. I didn't like Corey Stoll at all, he was just too big to be a convincing junior. If it wasn't for the glasses, you'd have never known. 

I just felt I was watching a flash back episode. I kept thinking "what's the story here" and it seems it was ***spoiler*** the whole it was junior who got dickie whacked. Which honestly was not really a story I was interested in or indeed played a significant part in the whole film, it was just an afterthought at the end. I know it was supposed to be this "the making of Tony soprano" but even that was a flimsy story line. So as a fan there was loads in there to make you smile, but as a standalone movie I thought it was very poor. If you'd never seen the sopranos, I don't know what you'd get out of it and the Chrissy voice over I don't think would make any sense. 

8 hours ago, Elite said:

28 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Shooting livia through the beehive was cringe personified,  I thought chase was better than that, I know the sopranos very well, very well, I've watched it all 6 times over, and the last two I had two explain every single fucking scene to my bird who's allegedly a fan. You're a fan  yeah??? Course you are that's why I have to tell you who rusty is, the fuck outta here, ending with 'woke up this morning' it made me think did Chase even play a part, cringe again.

On 30/09/2021 at 21:28, A Red said:

Just back from seeing it.

*Spoiler*

I just thought it was alright, it doesn't standalone in its own right and there seemed to be no real plot or purpose. The bit about the black gangsters seemed, to me at least, to have been a bit of box ticking. It ends showing the black fella obviously on the up but the original show has no storyline or references to him at all. Gandolfini's son did his best but I think it was bad casting. Ray Liotta playing 2 characters didn't really work for me.

As a Sopranos fan I would watch any future continuation of the prequel but I would have low expectations.

*Spoiler end*

I'm only about a third of the way through and its pretty poor to be honest. After watching the Talking Sopranos podcast and hearing how meticulous David Chase and the Casting Crew were when looking for Italian Americans during the series I find it hard to believe how few there are in this. Corey Stoll is rubbish as Uncle Junior and Gandolfini's kid should probably take up another profession based on his performance so far. Seriously underwhelming thus far. Will comment more after getting through the rest.

• Upvote 1

Couple of pieces still annoying me, his uncle in jail for whacking a made guy. Makes no sense, he would be dead before any trial ever happened. The black fella woudl be dead many times over, we will do it in the morning doesn't cut it.

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

Agree that Corey Still’s Junior was disappointing. Obviously Junior was always in Johnny Boy’s shadow, but he was portrayed as a shrewd operator. Here, he was a nonentity.

The biggest overall flaw was cramming too much into a 2-hour movie.

Too much yet at the same time absolutely nothing.

Before this movie, I always thought a prequel of Tony coming up through the ranks would have made a great TV show. But to be honest, after this I hope they just can it all - there was loads of talk of a follow up to many saints, I hope they don't do that either. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Too much yet at the same time absolutely nothing.

Before this movie, I always thought a prequel of Tony coming up through the ranks would have made a great TV show. But to be honest, after this I hope they just can it all - there was loads of talk of a follow up to many saints, I hope they don't do that either. 

I’m sure a follow up was what the last half hour was all about. 

I really liked the DM story; the fan service seemed bolted on. A movie that just did origin stories would probably be better and might provide a bit of closure that wasn’t needed before this venture.

I do think the movie was better than any new films I’ve seen in a while.

11 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

I’m sure a follow up was what the last half hour was all about. 

I really liked the DM story; the fan service seemed bolted on. A movie that just did origin stories would probably be better and might provide a bit of closure that wasn’t needed before this venture.

I do think the movie was better than any new films I’ve seen in a while.

To be honest, I'm not massively into films, I much prefer quality TV - and to be fair it was the sopranos that got me that way! But for me the film just did nothing except a bit of light amusement. I rewatched the sopranos recently and the quality of individual episodes such as pine barons is light years ahead of this movie. Perhaps the movie stands up against others at the moment, but there only seems to be comic book films or shite with the rock these days anyway. I just think this was a real missed opportunity and just feels half arsed. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be honest, I'm not massively into films, I much prefer quality TV - and to be fair it was the sopranos that got me that way! But for me the film just did nothing except a bit of light amusement. I rewatched the sopranos recently and the quality of individual episodes such as pine barons is light years ahead of this movie. Perhaps the movie stands up against others at the moment, but there only seems to be comic book films or shite with the rock these days anyway. I just think this was a real missed opportunity and just feels half arsed. 

Very much agree.