You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Many Saints of Newark

johnsusername

Fuck it, can't work out how to do spoilers because I'm old.

SPOILERS BELOW

Really enjoyed it as a Sopranos fan but there's no real plot or drama to the 2 hours. It's like dropping in to see what's happening and then leaving. Vera Farmiga is terrific as Livia, like does a real authentic portrait of what she'd be like as a younger woman but we don't see a lot of her and we really see next to nothing of Johnny. There's loads of callbacks to things that are mentioned in the show that we see occur for real and there's a redo of the scene where all the dads get arrested at the theme park.

Michael Gandolfini did well as Tony because he is not that good an actor. Corey Stoll is great as Uncle Junior, Ray Liotta was there and the race element seemed to get no real resolution but then plots did that in the show a lot. Dickie himself wasn't very complex, just seemed an angry prick.

So it was good, I'd watch it again straight away but it just seemed to lack a point other than seeing the characters from a different perspective. More to add but without tags I'll leave it for now.

Oh and the end is like the end of a franchise movie like James Bond. I kinda dug it but it also seemed a bit lame.

SPOILER END

• Upvote 1

It was decent but I feel didn't have an over-arching storyline to really get your teeth into. Some good foreshadowing particularly when

Spoiler

Baby Christopher started crying when young Tony cuddled him and the old lady said babies sometimes bring knowledge of life and death from the other side.

I’ve just got in from the cinema seeing it.

I’m not sure what to make of it. It started well and then just kinda drifted…

There was a few good winks and nods back to stories you heard about in the original series. The actress who plays Tony’s Mum was very good.

It felt like there was a lot that could have taken more time to cover over a series. It ended up feeling like a long list of scenes which didn’t really connect with each other.

I’m not saying it was bad or I didn’t enjoy it, but it certainly wasn’t my expectations going in. I’ll have to see it again.

• Upvote 1

Just back from seeing it.

*Spoiler*

I just thought it was alright, it doesn't standalone in its own right and there seemed to be no real plot or purpose. The bit about the black gangsters seemed, to me at least, to have been a bit of box ticking. It ends showing the black fella obviously on the up but the original show has no storyline or references to him at all. Gandolfini's son did his best but I think it was bad casting. Ray Liotta playing 2 characters didn't really work for me.

As a Sopranos fan I would watch any future continuation of the prequel but I would have low expectations.

*Spoiler end*

• Upvote 1

I've just watched it. It's a decent watch for Sopranos fans but nothing more, if you compare it to the show it doesn't even come close. It's a bit of a mess story wise, none of which are particularly engaging and some of it feels like a (bad) Sopranos impression competition.

If you judged it as a stand alone mafia film, it would score pretty low as well.

Disappointing.

• Upvote 2

Anyone viewing this thread from here really should expect spoilers anyway. I saw this last night.

On 22/09/2021 at 18:21, RedKnight said:

Seen it. Just to say that Vera Farmiga is excellent as Livia as a non-spoiler.

I don't know if it was just me or indeed it was meant (with the tony wants to fuck his mother stuff from the sopranos), but she really reminded me of Carmella. At times I thought it was her or she was trying to play her.

On 22/09/2021 at 20:28, RedKnight said:

Fuck it, can't work out how to do spoilers because I'm old.

SPOILERS BELOW

Really enjoyed it as a Sopranos fan but there's no real plot or drama to the 2 hours. It's like dropping in to see what's happening and then leaving. Vera Farmiga is terrific as Livia, like does a real authentic portrait of what she'd be like as a younger woman but we don't see a lot of her and we really see next to nothing of Johnny. There's loads of callbacks to things that are mentioned in the show that we see occur for real and there's a redo of the scene where all the dads get arrested at the theme park.

Michael Gandolfini did well as Tony because he is not that good an actor. Corey Stoll is great as Uncle Junior, Ray Liotta was there and the race element seemed to get no real resolution but then plots did that in the show a lot. Dickie himself wasn't very complex, just seemed an angry prick.

So it was good, I'd watch it again straight away but it just seemed to lack a point other than seeing the characters from a different perspective. More to add but without tags I'll leave it for now.

Oh and the end is like the end of a franchise movie like James Bond. I kinda dug it but it also seemed a bit lame.

SPOILER END

It felt to me a bunch of sopranos fans when asked what would be good about a prequel, just picked out little lines from the show and they wanted to show horn them in. "What was syl like without his wig". There you go. I didn't like Corey Stoll at all, he was just too big to be a convincing junior. If it wasn't for the glasses, you'd have never known. 

15 hours ago, Elite said:

I've just watched it. It's a decent watch for Sopranos fans but nothing more, if you compare it to the show it doesn't even come close. It's a bit of a mess story wise, none of which are particularly engaging and some of it feels like a (bad) Sopranos impression competition.

If you judged it as a stand alone mafia film, it would score pretty low as well.

Disappointing.

I just felt I was watching a flash back episode. I kept thinking "what's the story here" and it seems it was ***spoiler*** the whole it was junior who got dickie whacked. Which honestly was not really a story I was interested in or indeed played a significant part in the whole film, it was just an afterthought at the end. I know it was supposed to be this "the making of Tony soprano" but even that was a flimsy story line. So as a fan there was loads in there to make you smile, but as a standalone movie I thought it was very poor. If you'd never seen the sopranos, I don't know what you'd get out of it and the Chrissy voice over I don't think would make any sense. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Anyone viewing this thread from here really should expect spoilers anyway. I saw this last night.

I don't know if it was just me or indeed it was meant (with the tony wants to fuck his mother stuff from the sopranos), but she really reminded me of Carmella. At times I thought it was her or she was trying to play her.

It felt to me a bunch of sopranos fans when asked what would be good about a prequel, just picked out little lines from the show and they wanted to show horn them in. "What was syl like without his wig". There you go. I didn't like Corey Stoll at all, he was just too big to be a convincing junior. If it wasn't for the glasses, you'd have never known. 

I just felt I was watching a flash back episode. I kept thinking "what's the story here" and it seems it was ***spoiler*** the whole it was junior who got dickie whacked. Which honestly was not really a story I was interested in or indeed played a significant part in the whole film, it was just an afterthought at the end. I know it was supposed to be this "the making of Tony soprano" but even that was a flimsy story line. So as a fan there was loads in there to make you smile, but as a standalone movie I thought it was very poor. If you'd never seen the sopranos, I don't know what you'd get out of it and the Chrissy voice over I don't think would make any sense. 

Yeah Vera Farmiga looked a lot like Carmella. One of the first things I said to my missus. I'm not sure whether it was intentional either but I wouldn't put it past David Chase to have made it so.

I see your criticism of Corey Stoll, I don't disagree, but I really like Corey Stoll and I thought he was good as a young, vibrant Junior, albeit looking a bit biggeer than Dominic Chianese.

22 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Yeah Vera Farmiga looked a lot like Carmella. One of the first things I said to my missus. I'm not sure whether it was intentional either but I wouldn't put it past David Chase to have made it so.

I see your criticism of Corey Stoll, I don't disagree, but I really like Corey Stoll and I thought he was good as a young, vibrant Junior, albeit looking a bit biggeer than Dominic Chianese.

So I was hoping to like Corey Stoll on it. The clips I'd seen looked fine, but he just didn't convince me as junior. Perhaps that doesn't matter to some, but I found it off putting