You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gareth Southgate

Kevin D

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

He's a nice guy no doubt about that but he should be managing a Starbucks or something.

I don't disagree about his managing ability.

That said, I think his integrity has been something to behold. Anti -racist, pro LGBTQ, pro vaccination; and if that means telling England fans to fuck off, that's what he'll say.

This week they asked him about how obviously bigoted Hungry fans are, he replies "they are cunts, but so are England fans. What, you think we're so innocent?"

Hypocrisy is usually a tool of the trade with football managers, but not this guy. He's a much better man than I thought he was.

• Upvote 3

Nowadays international teams (certainly European ones) don't usually get to work together for long enough for managers to really put a tactical stamp on the side. So all a manager really needs to do is pick a shape and a style of play that the most important players are used to, and then be a decent man manager and motivator. It seems like the players really respect Southgate, and genuinely want to do well for him.

Beyond that he's clearly a woeful tactician, and I would love nothing more than for him to be the next United manager, but at international level his record is certainly decent (though he seems to always be too conservative on the biggest occasions).

As you say though, comes across as a genuinely decent person. I really think United should take that into consideration.

• Like 1

He’s a good guy and at the end of the day that trumps whatever he might be lacking as a football manager. 

It’s obvious he has flaws, but his record is decent so he’ll probably get to ride this horse as long as he wants. He’ll then get a decent Club job and be shit.

He’ll still be a good guy though. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Yes , I like him. Wonder what odds I would have got three years ago if I had said the only two non LFC managers I have time for would be  England's and Everton's.

Everton have a couple of decent managers Red Ron and his xmas tree will live long in the memory and hard to not like Carlo as well.

I think it was very decent of him to lead those shithouses to the euros final, raising the hopes of all the shithouses who follow them to previously unseen levels and then have them shit the bed in the funniest fashion imaginable.

For that he will always have a place in my affections.

He's perfect for England. No surprise really because the FA were grooming him for the job for about ten years, but he's ideal. Will never rock the boat, will always be over-performing expectations, will keep the players happy, loved by the media. Great at beating shit teams so no more humiliating losses. A sympathetic figure when they get beat, as they always will when they come up against anyone good. He's also probably the only England manager since Robson and Venables that has actually benefitted the players in his teams. The likes of Rice, Saka and Philips have all flourished under him. 

Think @RedKnight said it best in the summer. He's figured out the formula for international tournament footy is about not losing games first and foremost. Awful to watch, but effective. 

• Upvote 1

I also think it's really beneficial to him that less English players are coming through at the top clubs, so there aren't Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United factions to deal with. There's a good spread of teams represented in that squad and, aside from Kane, no real giant egos to handle. He's made it a really harmonious place to be and it's clear the players love it. For the longest time everything around the England team was toxic and a real weight for the top players like Gerrard, Carra, Lampard, Rooney, etc. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see where he ends up after the England job. I could see maybe Spurs or Leicester, possibly even Everton taking a punt on him depending on their management situation and it being a fucking disaster. He's got it relatively easy with the current England squad, not many characters to control. Give him a dressing room full of foreign ego's and I reckon he'd wilt like a fucking spinach leaf in a pizza oven. If ever a manager screamed "Fulham" it's him. 

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

I'm not sure he will last 20 years, but I could see him being the English version of Joachim Low. 

I think he can. The FA aren't chasing shooting for glory anymore, as they did with the Sven and Capello appointments. They want stability, respectability and relative consistency. He provides all of those things. Media pressure has also eased significantly. He never really got any beef for blowing a WC semi final and EC final because he couldn't get out of his own way. Plus I think this is the limit of his personal ambition.

9 hours ago, Mark M said:

Everton have a couple of decent managers Red Ron and his xmas tree will live long in the memory and hard to not like Carlo as well.

Red Ron - yes, agreed.

Ancellotti can fuck off after all that shite after the derby. The cunt

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Gareth Southgate looks like a pastor's son at a Pentecostal church. He plays guitar in the church band, carries his kid in a papoose, and is married to the daughter of another pastor, with whom his father also has business interests.

• Upvote 1