You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Remembering 9/11 - 20 Years On

Bjornebye

I always remember the constant tickertape on the news "America Under Attack" then something about "World at War" followed by "The War on Terror". as I've said I was at HMS Raleigh at the time, base was in lockdown and most of the time was spent watching the news and the odd briefing. 

One of the tabloids had a list of potential targets and Plymouth was one because of the Naval Port. My mum was up the wall with worry. They were still saying 24 hours later that certain flights are unaccounted for which was just bullshit speculation. 

As has been said, the memorial at Ground Zero is spectacular as it is sombre. They've done a great job of that memorial and seeing all the names brings it right home how many lives were lost in that one area. 

• Upvote 1

Cunts doing what cunts do!

"In 2001, Lampard was among four British players who mocked American tourists stranded at a hotel near Heathrow Airport because of the Sept. 11 attacks," read the story in the New York Daily News.

It continued: "Just 24 hours after the tragedy, Lampard and his Chelsea team-mates drunkenly stripped, swore and vomited in front of the upset US tourists. He and his mates were fined by the club."

While Lampard was fined by Chelsea for the incident, along with team-mates Jody Morris, John Terry and Frank Sinclair, there was not actually any evidence that the American tourists had been mocked - only acknowledgement that the timing of the incident was insensitive. The players involved also denied "categorically" that they intended to insult any individuals.

Antonio Parisini, a manager at Heathrow's Posthouse hotel where the incident occurred, told the BBC at the time: "They were causing lots of noise and knocking things over in the bar and upsetting everyone. They were really drunk."

1 minute ago, Lario said:

Cunts doing what cunts do!

"In 2001, Lampard was among four British players who mocked American tourists stranded at a hotel near Heathrow Airport because of the Sept. 11 attacks," read the story in the New York Daily News.

It continued: "Just 24 hours after the tragedy, Lampard and his Chelsea team-mates drunkenly stripped, swore and vomited in front of the upset US tourists. He and his mates were fined by the club."

While Lampard was fined by Chelsea for the incident, along with team-mates Jody Morris, John Terry and Frank Sinclair, there was not actually any evidence that the American tourists had been mocked - only acknowledgement that the timing of the incident was insensitive. The players involved also denied "categorically" that they intended to insult any individuals.

Antonio Parisini, a manager at Heathrow's Posthouse hotel where the incident occurred, told the BBC at the time: "They were causing lots of noise and knocking things over in the bar and upsetting everyone. They were really drunk."

So they were drunk in front of some Americans the day after the September 11 attacks, in England?

Doesn't sound like they did much wrong there other than getting hammered & making arses of themselves.

Have to agree that they are cunts though.

I put the the telly on and there it was, one of the towers had been hit and I remember shouting to my Mrs there's something going on here, it looks like  there's  been an accident, a plane has crashed into the WTC. Moments later she came into the room just as the second jet came into view and hit the second building.

It was one of those 'what the fuck' moments when we both just stared dumbstruck, one of those events that horrified you but you couldn't take your eyes off and as the whole thing developed,  it just got worse.

Images of people jumping to their deaths rather than burn is something that has remained with me, but so have the stories of real heroism. The passengers and crew of flight 93, the firefighters who ran into the buildings to help. Real heroes every one of them.

The exact polar opposite of the cowardly, murdering, extremist shite who perpetrated it.

May the victims rest in peace.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 02/09/2021 at 19:22, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure if you get National Geo programming there but   "9/11 One Day in America" 

is pretty well done.

Got this on now. The Irish fella has just said about his sister and niece being on the second plane to hit. All the while he's on the ground helping an injured lady. I've got goosebumps and something in my eye 

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

A good documentary on BBC IPlayer - Inside The Presidents War Room. Fuck me Bush was/is one gormless fucker. 

It's phenomenal that. The range of interviews they were able to get in was remarkable. True credit to the pull and credibility of the BBC. Bush, Rove, Cheney, Rice, Powell, staffers, secret service, press people, reporters, the fucking Commander of Air Force One. Absolutely unreal scope and insight and the composition what phenomenal. I thought it presented Bush quite favourably, which, on that day and in the immediate aftermath, was probably merited. However, what came after is obviously a different story.

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

It's phenomenal that. The range of interviews they were able to get in was remarkable. True credit to the pull and credibility of the BBC. Bush, Rove, Cheney, Rice, Powell, staffers, secret service, press people, reporters, the fucking Commander of Air Force One. Absolutely unreal scope and insight and the composition what phenomenal. I thought it presented Bush quite favourably, which, on that day and in the immediate aftermath, was probably merited. However, what came after is obviously a different story.

It was the look on his face in the classroom before he got told. Pulling a proper weird face then did some horrible thing with his eyebrows. I was surprised how un-arsed the 'inner sanctum' seemed with the first plane hitting. 

The stuff on Air Force One is amazing. Them thinking someone on the plane might have wanted to do Bush in. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It was the look on his face in the classroom before he got told. Pulling a proper weird face then did some horrible thing with his eyebrows. I was surprised how un-arsed the 'inner sanctum' seemed with the first plane hitting. 

The stuff on Air Force One is amazing. Them thinking someone on the plane might have wanted to do Bush in. 

I was quite au fait with that because I studied Michael Moore a lot in uni and did my dissertation on him. Moore ripped him for his inactivity there, but the documentary gave me a new take on it. You could see it become the reality in his mind and it was etched all over his face, each slight shift. Incredible portrait and we'll probably never see anything like that again where a global leader has a camera on his face for 10 minutes after finding out everything was about to change.

Just now, Chris said:

I was quite au fait with that because I studied Michael Moore a lot in uni and did my dissertation on him. Moore ripped him for his inactivity there, but the documentary gave me a new take on it. You could see it become the reality in his mind and it was etched all over his face, each slight shift. Incredible portrait and we'll probably never see anything like that again where a global leader has a camera on his face for 10 minutes after founding out everything was about to change.

I mean before he was told. 

As for after, yeah I've always thought it was odd that he just sat there but he said in this that he didn't want to give a big dramatic reaction. He didn't want to scare the kids and obviously needed to start working stuff out in his head. 

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I mean before he was told. 

As for after, yeah I've always thought it was odd that he just sat there but he said in this that he didn't want to give a big dramatic reaction. He didn't want to scare the kids and obviously needed to start working stuff out in his head. 

Sorry, you did say exactly that too and I skipped over.

55 minutes ago, Chris said:

I think what struck me about that was they were all saying what a complete shock it was,yet the documentary on Netflix completeoy contradicts that.

Doc on netflix.

4 parter which looks st the seeds of 9/11(the russian invasion)the events leading upto it and the countless consequences. 

Its informative (the 9/11 'mosque',the saudi official passing info onto them,)moving and entertaining without being exploitative.

Just a few of the things which stuck out was the bravery of the rescue workers,the footage of the towers coming down and the shit Bush and his cabal of cunts got upto(apparently it's only torture when you are pulling of peoples nails)

Also completely skewers the myth that the post invasion period was any sort of success (the tea boys story is horryfung)

A must watch.

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Doc on netflix.

4 parter which looks st the seeds of 9/11(the russian invasion)the events leading upto it and the countless consequences. 

Its informative (the 9/11 'mosque',the saudi official passing info onto them,)moving and entertaining without being exploitative.

Just a few of the things which stuck out was the bravery of the rescue workers,the footage of the towers coming down and the shit Bush and his cabal of cunts got upto(apparently it's only torture when you are pulling of peoples nails)

Also completely skewers the myth that the post invasion period was any sort of success (the tea boys story is horryfung)

A must watch.

Turning Point?