You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lesser known delicious foreign food

Remmie

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

This 100%. Is there a better country to be on the ale with the lads in Europe? Probably but it's still fucking great. 

I’ve done a few octoberfests in Munich and one in Düsseldorf, and it is a smashing place in which to get smashed.  My fave though is Belgium.  The beer is better and you don’t have to drink as much volume to achieve the same effect

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I’ve done a few octoberfests in Munich and one in Düsseldorf, and it is a smashing place in which to get smashed.  My fave though is Belgium.  The beer is better and you don’t have to drink as much volume to achieve the same effect

TSOP Brugge weekend next year it is 

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Might belong in the condiments thread.

Chimichurri - did steaks on the grill with although I could almost spoon the stuff directly into my face.

Best part of a churrasco.

I covered some of my Bolivian favourites earlier in the thread but the mention of a churrasco reminds me that I shouldn't neglect Brasil's great contribution to world cuisine: pao de queijo.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm sure other Brasilians would castigate me for not saying something like feijoada, but that, while lovely, is really just black bean/pork stew with rice. It's delicious, but it's not, like, go-seek-it-out-and-get-some delicious. Pao de queijo, on the other hand, is exactly that. These little cheesy, doughy balls of pure goodness are absolutely amazing. Sort of like a Yorkshire pudding with the addition of a borderline-concerning amount of cheese, maybe?

They're pretty easy to make, so if you're handy in the kitchen and fancy whipping up something that will impress your lady friend, you could do a lot worse. Gluten-free, as well.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

It's really good, was there with my mates from home a couple of years ago, but as a piss up give a thought to Ghent or Antwerp.

Pretty much what I said on Members Forum. 

I'd definitely choose Ghent over Bruges. Deviants who think Amsterdam is for lightweights head to Antwerp... 

Just had Lomo Saltado for the first time ever. Peruvian dish - A bed of chips (fries for the americans) and rice with sauteed onions/tomatoes/cut tup steak in soy sauce. Can't believe I've lived in NYC for 4 years now and this is the first time I've tried it. Amazing.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Might belong in the condiments thread.

Chimichurri - did steaks on the grill with although I could almost spoon the stuff directly into my face.

Best part of a churrasco.

Chimichurri is fantastic, it's piss easy to make too.

Goes well with baked spuds (see the latest digressions on the Breakfast thread) 

13 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I covered some of my Bolivian favourites earlier in the thread but the mention of a churrasco reminds me that I shouldn't neglect Brasil's great contribution to world cuisine: pao de queijo.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm sure other Brasilians would castigate me for not saying something like feijoada, but that, while lovely, is really just black bean/pork stew with rice. It's delicious, but it's not, like, go-seek-it-out-and-get-some delicious. Pao de queijo, on the other hand, is exactly that. These little cheesy, doughy balls of pure goodness are absolutely amazing. Sort of like a Yorkshire pudding with the addition of a borderline-concerning amount of cheese, maybe?

They're pretty easy to make, so if you're handy in the kitchen and fancy whipping up something that will impress your lady friend, you could do a lot worse. Gluten-free, as well.

I can't eat cheese anymore but my Brazilian gf implored me to have some on her birthday. Never have I missed dairy more than I have in that moment.

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Aren't a lot of these foreign foods just like our foods, but with fancy names? That coxinha is just a glorified croquette.

It's amazing how much of food around the world is just basically the same thing with a little twist for each region. Just look at the different types of flatbreads from region to region or basically any 'pastry stuffed with meat' across the regions and the only difference most of the time is shape and the spices used to cook it.

To genuinely find the 'original' of something is very very hard.

Taking your example of croquettes - just look at the wiki on it and all the different versions across the world! Food and the way it travels is amazing.

Croquette