You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lesser known delicious foreign food

Remmie

Great thread, and some great replies already!

I grew up in Bolivia, and I'm always amazed that Bolivian food isn't more widely known. I suppose it's too small a population to really have caught on, but they make some amazing food. One of the most popular is silpancho - start with a bed of rice and roasted potatoes, then take a filet steak and pound it very flat and bread it and fry it, serve with runny fried egg and a sort of pepper salsa:
img-20180829-wa0004.jpg

My favourite, though, is salteña. A salteña is sort of like a baked empanada, if you're familiar, only instead of just filling with meat and/or cheese, it's a spicy stew-like mixture. This little pouch of dough is filled up with spicy meat, olives, potatoes, and even a slice of boiled egg. It really is like a pouch of stew, and is unique and quite delicious.

The outside of a saltena looks like this: 

traditional-bolivian-saltena-snack-savor

and the inside filling looks like:

Saltena-II.jpg

Oh, and by the way @TheHowieLama, there's a Bolivian lady in Tampa who makes them and sells them out of her garage. We buy a dozen or so every time we're up there, you can get them frozen so you take them home and just pop them into your oven when you're ready to eat. Amazing!

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Great thread, and some great replies already!

I grew up in Bolivia, and I'm always amazed that Bolivian food isn't more widely known. I suppose it's too small a population to really have caught on, but they make some amazing food. One of the most popular is silpancho - start with a bed of rice and roasted potatoes, then take a filet steak and pound it very flat and bread it and fry it, serve with runny fried egg and a sort of pepper salsa:
img-20180829-wa0004.jpg

My favourite, though, is salteña. A salteña is sort of like a baked empanada, if you're familiar, only instead of just filling with meat and/or cheese, it's a spicy stew-like mixture. This little pouch of dough is filled up with spicy meat, olives, potatoes, and even a slice of boiled egg. It really is like a pouch of stew, and is unique and quite delicious.

The outside of a saltena looks like this: 

traditional-bolivian-saltena-snack-savor

and the inside filling looks like:

Saltena-II.jpg

Oh, and by the way @TheHowieLama, there's a Bolivian lady in Tampa who makes them and sells them out of her garage. We buy a dozen or so every time we're up there, you can get them frozen so you take them home and just pop them into your oven when you're ready to eat. Amazing!

I presume one of the conquistadors must have stopped off in Cornwall on the way.

• Upvote 7

49 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, stupid fucking Brexit causing my favourite sausage slingers to hightail it back to the Black Forrest as costs are now prohibitive.

I'll be back shortly, just going to go call Gnasher a cunt as a form of impotent protest.

Bad for the old ticker german sausages, another favour I've done you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

These have become quite ubiquitous in London over the past couple of years.

Banh Mi, or Thai sandwhiches.

Made with spiced meat, lots of fresh sharp salad, some chillies and lots of corriander all on a baguette

Absolutely lovely.

jet-tila-rokerthon-sandwich-today-062620

Vietnamese you knobber!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I was just thinking about that and lamenting the loss of Herman Ze Germans from London, due to Brexit, which may explain my anger in the EU thread.

Absolutely loved that place.

They're gone? I used to go to the one on Villiers St, off the Strand. Haven't worked in town for a long while. Shame its gone.

13 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

They're gone? I used to go to the one on Villiers St, off the Strand. Haven't worked in town for a long while. Shame its gone.

Yeah, the import costs from Brexit was the final straw as they were treading a pretty thin margin anyway, a lot of small operators have, or will go, the same way.

Costing jobs, tax revenue, hope, prosperity, difference, community, but it’s OK I’m subsisting on a diet of Sovereignty and that’s all that matters.

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Hung over in some German city Square with the lads. Beer and curry wurst for breakfast. Worldie. 

This 100%. Is there a better country to be on the ale with the lads in Europe? Probably but it's still fucking great.