You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lesser known delicious foreign food

Remmie

58 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Yeah you can with bread maybe something lighter though I like it on its own or with a shopska salad as it’s more a summer dish. 

ah I also forgot the tarator has crushed walnuts too that’s essential. @TheHowieLama FYI.

I love a Shopska, tastiest salad going. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

For those looking for inspiration recipe wise buy this…

https://www.amazon.com/Palomar-Cookbook-Modern-Israeli-Cuisine/dp/0451496612

It’s a collaboration between an Israeli and a Palestinian looking at food from the area, then they take it to an insane level of tastiness.

The restaurant is called Palomar in Soho and it’s great.

If you whisper nicely in the waitresses ear ‘Can I go to the Mulway for a cheeky cocktail’ you’ll be whisked away for a drink in a very, very hard to get in to and very fucking cool cocktail lounge.

Don’t go telling everyone though.

Is that Layo from Layo & Bushwacka?

27 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

No offence like but that looks hideous

Haha it really wasn’t the prettiest of plates for sure but interesting mix, flavours were good, that’s just how they serve it. 

if those dishes were served in their own separate bowls they would just look like various curries tbh.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

For those looking for inspiration recipe wise buy this…

https://www.amazon.com/Palomar-Cookbook-Modern-Israeli-Cuisine/dp/0451496612

It’s a collaboration between an Israeli and a Palestinian looking at food from the area, then they take it to an insane level of tastiness.

The restaurant is called Palomar in Soho and it’s great.

If you whisper nicely in the waitresses ear ‘Can I go to the Mulway for a cheeky cocktail’ you’ll be whisked away for a drink in a very, very hard to get in to and very fucking cool cocktail lounge.

Don’t go telling everyone though.

Do you have to use the word "cheeky"? If so, count me out.

16 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Do you have to use the word "cheeky"? If so, count me out.

Nah, you’re good with ‘alright treacletits, any chance I can ‘appen upon your illicit booze lounge for lols and shit?’

However you phrase it you’re all good.

Ill tell ‘em to expect a commie called Mal who will roll his eyes at this bourgeoisie bullshit.

• Upvote 2

Seems I'm a sucker for food that puts hair on your chest;

Hungarian Langos - a sort of deep fried pizza? Mostly use goat or sheep cheese if I recall. 

Portuguese (specifically Porto I think) Francesinha, when I ordered it a local said I'd be shitting like crazy for a few days afterwards and he wasn't wrong. Bloody nice though. 

langos-recipe-1.jpg

ck3T2y8hSCyC55XliohMIA.jpeg

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, The-Sir said:

Seems I'm a sucker for food that puts hair on your chest;

Hungarian Langos - a sort of deep fried pizza? Mostly use goat or sheep cheese if I recall. 

Portuguese (specifically Porto I think) Francesinha, when I ordered it a local said I'd be shitting like crazy for a few days afterwards and he wasn't wrong. Bloody nice though. 

langos-recipe-1.jpg

ck3T2y8hSCyC55XliohMIA.jpeg

I need a shit just looking at that 

Francesinha sound like the greatest thing in the world, but then you look at all the ingredients and put them all together in one dish, it's like a blokes wet dream foodwise, but makes you feel ill the moment you've finished it.

6 slices of loaf bread

8 slices of cheese

2 small beef steaks

2 fresh sausages

Chicken breast

2 slices of ham

Salt and pepper to taste

For the sauce;

1 onion

1 beer

3 tablespoons of tomato pulp

0.5 dl of brandy

0.5 dl of Port Wine

1 tablespoon of margarine

1 tablespoon of cornstarch flour

1 cube of beef broth

1 bay leaf

milk qb

Salt and spicy qb

It's like they just thought 'fuck it, gout looks pleasant and what the fuck do I want with extra life expectancy?'

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Francesinha sound like the greatest thing in the world, but then you look at all the ingredients and put them all together in one dish, it's like a blokes wet dream foodwise, but makes you feel ill the moment you've finished it.

6 slices of loaf bread

8 slices of cheese

2 small beef steaks

2 fresh sausages

Chicken breast

2 slices of ham

Salt and pepper to taste

For the sauce;

1 onion

1 beer

3 tablespoons of tomato pulp

0.5 dl of brandy

0.5 dl of Port Wine

1 tablespoon of margarine

1 tablespoon of cornstarch flour

1 cube of beef broth

1 bay leaf

milk qb

Salt and spicy qb

It's like they just thought 'fuck it, gout looks pleasant and what the fuck do I want with extra life expectancy?'

Was a good few years back now so the memory is a little hazy but I seem to remember I had mine early afternoon and didn't need to eat anything until lunchtime the next day. Food of the gods. 

The sauce tasted a little bit like bean juice to me which I thought was a bit odd. 

15 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Here y'go. It's just a big mess of beans that's been cooked with a slab of fatty ham, some black pudding and some chorizo. (Add some bay leaves, saffron and paprika, if you want to be fancy that way.)

Screenshot_2021-09-03-14-41-42-53_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

That’s basically a posh version of pot mess