You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mad Moments In Football

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Am I the only lad who doesn't remember this?

Haha I remember that having not thought about it for years. Imagine the ignominy of being Reyna and getting subbed off for a keeper. To be fair there were a couple good touches before scything down a defender

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

There is a good video on YouTube which explains the media's racist agenda for thinking how this incident was because 'African players didn't know the rules.'

Yes - it had always been my assumption before I saw this video.

Shows how conscious/unconscious bias can develop and how that can be fuelled by what we’re exposed to, including an agenda driven media. I just believed what I was told. In my defence I was young and naive then. 

Thanks for posting the video. I still can’t manage to do it.

16 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yes - it had always been my assumption before I saw this video.

Shows how conscious/unconscious bias can develop and how that can be fuelled by what we’re exposed to, including an agenda driven media. I just believed what I was told. In my defence I was young and naive then. 

Thanks for posting the video. I still can’t manage to do it.

Yeah,I was equally young and naive. But in our defences,our newspapers were also full of wars,dictators and coups in that part of the world so it was easy to promote the 'Africans are stupid' agenda.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't find any footage of the match, but this was beautiful - when City played us on the last day of the 95/96 season thinking a draw would save them from the drop, and time-wasted their way to a 2-2...

https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/man_city/255410/retro-football-alan-ball-drops-monumental-clanger-that-sees-man-city-relegated-from-top-flight-1996-video.html