You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

40 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Just out of curiosity how many transfer windows have we done no business under fsg, we've not needed to in some and needed to in others. 

Since FSG took over the club in October 2010, we've seen players brought into the club in all windows with the exception of the following winter windows, so far:

2013/14 (Rodgers)
2014/15 (Rodgers)
2016/17 (Klopp)
2018/19 (Klopp)

The fantastic LFCHistory.net have the information available for players bought and sold under each manager - FSG's first transfer window was the winter window in the 2010/11 season under Kenny.

Players bought by Kenny Dalglish (2nd term)

Players sold by Kenny Dalglish (2nd term)

Players bought by Brendan Rodgers

Players sold by Brendan Rodgers

Players bought by Jürgen Klopp

Players sold by Jürgen Klopp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

That Vlahovic from Fiorentina is obviously the best nr.9 in the world. He's is heavily linked with Arsenal that's probably why. I have no idea if he even could play our centre forward role. Is he any good ? rarely watch Italian football these days.

He's either the second best true no.9 likely to be available this summer or the next Pepe.

For the right price he'd be a good signing for a lot of clubs, whether that price is similar to what Fiorentina want for him is another matter.

Smarter Scout did a profile on him a while back

https://smarterscout.com/articles/arsenal-dusan-vlahovic-fiorentina-aubameyang-lacazette-nicolas-pepe-serie-a-premier-league-champions-league-arteta

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Interesting, but it’s a no from me. 

I bet by leaving it to the last hours of the window, somebody properly fuck Barca. Like they’ll get him for £1m.

33988BA1-536C-4787-99A3-83E04F20E59E.png

It's a no from me too. There's far too much baggage with this player and controversy seems to follow him around.

9 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we made them a big enough offer for them to consider it. His numbers are outstanding, grades out as an absolute world-class star in the making if he continues to improve.

Aside from Nkunku, Sulemana is the one that I'd look at out of that list and say "yeah, that makes perfect sense."

We've never paid big money for someone so young. 

Also, yeah he's very talented, it's been obvious from the start of the season, but he's been in and out of the team recently for Rennes. There's no consistency yet. We usually wait on these kinds of players.

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's a no from me too. There's far too much baggage with this player and controversy seems to follow him around.

Dembele was fine in Rennes and Dortmund. The issue was in Barca, where they didn’t know how to handle him physically properly.

He wasn’t serious with his diet obviously but he’s fixed it.

Deschamps likes him a lot, and he’s obsessed with discipline and behavior.

The real issue is his fitness because he’s been injured so many times. 

7 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Fabio Carvalho is much further along than Kaide Gordon, he's tearing up the Championship this year.

fabc.thumb.gif.082ae25918dc21cee440e128f16c9210.gif.100b646ac8330fc1f0c6bde29fc420bc.gif

Fulham got some incredible talent. The one Arsenal stole in the summer is Elliott level apparently talent wise.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t think I’d have both in the squad and be expecting both to make a contribution, ie if Mane and Salah were out, I don’t think I’d be happy with them 2 alongside Jota.

If sign Carvalho, I think we need somebody else experienced to go with him.

Maybe a loan for Gordon. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if we signed Carvalho and a cheap midfielder (eg one of the out of contract / contract ending players) and then spent big on Bellingham and another forward. 

Jarrod Bowen and Jude Bellingham are great examples of why we need to be filling the squad with the likes of Elliott, Carvalho and Carney Chukwuemeka. Once an English player reaches the level were he considered for the national team he's already out of our budget. The likes of Maddison would have been 70/80m 18 months ago, Leicester wouldn't entertain anything less. We need to be 100% sure when he commit to a player like that, with the young lads that will cost about 15m in a tribunal we only need to be right 1/3 of the time.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Jarrod Bowen and Jude Bellingham are great examples of why we need to be filling the squad with the likes of Elliott, Carvalho and Carney Chukwuemeka. Once an English player reaches the level were he considered for the national team he's already out of our budget. The likes of Maddison would have been 70/80m 18 months ago, Leicester wouldn't entertain anything less. We need to be 100% sure when he commit to a player like that, with the young lads that will cost about 15m in a tribunal we only need to be right 1/3 of the time.

Agreed. This is a big point. The only value in the market for English players is to get them very young. German teams figured this out a couple years ago.

You would think everybody will be in for Carvalho. Homegrown, good numbers and performances in the Championship, out of contract. He is a great target.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Interesting, but it’s a no from me. 

I bet by leaving it to the last hours of the window, somebody properly fuck Barca. Like they’ll get him for £1m.

33988BA1-536C-4787-99A3-83E04F20E59E.png

40ml sign on fee and nearly 400k a week for 5 years, for a player that's  missed 102 games since he joined Barcelona 

Screenshot_20220119-153514_Chrome.jpg

58 minutes ago, No2 said:

I was having a similar conversation with my mate earlier.

Back pre-Kiev, we obviously needed a new keeper and a new centre back. We could probably quite easily have improved on what we had, for cheaper than VVD and Alisson but those players weren’t VVD or Alisson. We went the extra mile for them because we were sure about them and the difference they’d make. And although they were expensive, to me, unless they get significant injuries, they could play to Ramos / Thiago Silva / Neuer ages (mid-late 30’s) so they will have been good value. 

I’m generally not Ok with huge, huge signings, I think something feels lazy about them (ie £98m for 28 year old Lukaku) but to me, if we are sure on Bellingham’s quality, he can play for the first team of >15 years, therefore would be worth the initial outlay rather. 

Although I quite like Bowen, I don’t think the money warrants the return. I don’t know why WHU would want for them but I bet it’s not the £35m we thought in the summer. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s double that now. 

He only scores 1 in 4 and assists 1 in 3. I assume Salah’s stats are miles better than that and he’d block Gordon’s development. 

I think somebody to challenge Mane & Jota is more of a priority than somebody on the right.