You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

57 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Diego Carlos - Aggressive centre-half who is guaranteed to pick up a yellow card in just about every game he plays and will always give away needless fouls in and around his own penalty area.

He's the exact opposite of what Newcastle need, so I fully expect them to push through a deal.

Like a poor man's Otamendi.

A penalty waiting to happen.

Thuram's a weird case. He should be a top player; he's physically gifted, a huge guy, he's got some technical ability. Has this great pedigree with his dad. But he's not put it together and is kind of shite. 

As a 5th attacker, he'd be worth the risk based on potential, and with just the one year left on his deal, but if it's to replace any of our 4 usual attacking players, it's not a great option.

Sulemana is probably too young, he just moved to Rennes. They don't need to sell him.

David and Nkunku are very obvious targets. They'd be adequate replacements for Firmino and Mané individually. 

2 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Diego Carlos - Aggressive centre-half who is guaranteed to pick up a yellow card in just about every game he plays and will always give away needless fouls in and around his own penalty area.

He's the exact opposite of what Newcastle need, so I fully expect them to push through a deal.

Absolutely intrigued and excited by the concept of a poor man's Otamendi. Will definitely be watching his efforts if he signs. 

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Could do with Newcastle offering £55m for Naby, methinks!

If they offered £155m it still wouldn't make up for signing Andy Carroll. That headline - Newcastle United accept Liverpools £35m offer still burns deep!

Swap Keita with St Max for 6 months, see how he goes!! Everyones a winner!

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Dynamite said:

They could do with a comedy South American defender as they never really replaced Coloccini in that respect. 

7 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Have exactly the same view of him. He's gave away a penalty in about 60% of the games I've seen him in. 

I reckon it'll be that Nkunku at Leipzig. He's the right age (24) and we seem to like buying players from there. Apparently the clubs have a very good relationship (I'm sure they fucking love us after giving them 55m for Keita). He's also having an incredible season and looks like he could displace Sadio the way their respective trajectories are going. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thuram's a weird case. He should be a top player; he's physically gifted, a huge guy, he's got some technical ability. Has this great pedigree with his dad. But he's not put it together and is kind of shite. 

As a 5th attacker, he'd be worth the risk based on potential, and with just the one year left on his deal, but if it's to replace any of our 4 usual attacking players, it's not a great option.

Sulemana is probably too young, he just moved to Rennes. They don't need to sell him.

David and Nkunku are very obvious targets. They'd be adequate replacements for Firmino and Mané individually. 

5 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

I reckon it'll be that Nkunku at Leipzig. He's the right age (24) and we seem to like buying players from there. Apparently the clubs have a very good relationship (I'm sure they fucking love us after giving them 55m for Keita). He's also having an incredible season and looks like he could displace Sadio the way their respective trajectories are going. 

Summer will be interesting, IMO…

Salah will stay and Gordon will be his understudy.

We’ll sign somebody on the left to challenge Mane.

Firmino will leave. Jota is now our first choice Number 9.

If Jota is ever out, we’ll play Mane or Salah up front. 

The next issue comes if Origi and / or Minamino leave. It looks like Divock will leave and I don’t think either will ever be up to it, so we’d then need somebody else as well. 

Then in midfield we have Milner leaving, significant question marks over Keita & Ox’s future and Thiago’s ongoing fitness. I think we need 2 in midfield as well. 

So, that’s 4 signings of players we need to be first team quality and ready to contribute straight away. 

20 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Summer will be interesting, IMO…

Salah will stay and Gordon will be his understudy.

We’ll sign somebody on the left to challenge Mane.

Firmino will leave. Jota is now our first choice Number 9.

If Jota is ever out, we’ll play Mane or Salah up front. 

The next issue comes if Origi and / or Minamino leave. It looks like Divock will leave and I don’t think either will ever be up to it, so we’d then need somebody else as well. 

Then in midfield we have Milner leaving, significant question marks over Keita & Ox’s future and Thiago’s ongoing fitness. I think we need 2 in midfield as well. 

So, that’s 4 signings of players we need to be first team quality and ready to contribute straight away. 

My boy Fabio Carvalho, my other boy with the mad name at Villa that's out of contract in the summer, Raphinha in Mo's position, Mo in at CF and 1 other. Jobs a good un.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sevilla have conceded only 13 goals thus far, Carlos can't be that bad. 

Don't think any of us are saying he's bad exactly, but he is very liable to get booked or give away dangerous set pieces or pens. Big difference is at Newcastle he will be left mote exposed than Sevilla, who are a far better drilled unit

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we made them a big enough offer for them to consider it. His numbers are outstanding, grades out as an absolute world-class star in the making if he continues to improve.

Aside from Nkunku, Sulemana is the one that I'd look at out of that list and say "yeah, that makes perfect sense."

9 hours ago, No2 said:

My boy Fabio Carvalho, my other boy with the mad name at Villa that's out of contract in the summer, Raphinha in Mo's position, Mo in at CF and 1 other. Jobs a good un.

I did think about Carvalho as soon as I finished posting. Assume he’s classed as home grown as well. Not sure how I’d feel if him & Gordon were in the squad and being expected to contribute. 

I do like Bowen, but 1 in 4 over the last two seasons isn’t good enough, plus there will be a hefty English tax on top. Not saying he won’t improve, but there will be better priced targets out there.

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Fabio Carvalho is much further along than Kaide Gordon, he's tearing up the Championship this year.

fabc.thumb.gif.082ae25918dc21cee440e128f16c9210.gif.100b646ac8330fc1f0c6bde29fc420bc.gif

I don’t think I’d have both in the squad and be expecting both to make a contribution, ie if Mane and Salah were out, I don’t think I’d be happy with them 2 alongside Jota.

If sign Carvalho, I think we need somebody else experienced to go with him.

Maybe a loan for Gordon. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if we signed Carvalho and a cheap midfielder (eg one of the out of contract / contract ending players) and then spent big on Bellingham and another forward.