You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Problem is there’s a lot more to managing a big club then being a decent coach. And getting buy in from a bunch of Championship level players is a lot different from a bunch of world class players.

Which is why it’s hard to pick which younger managers have the ability to step up.

Ideally Potter, or someone else similar, would prove themselves somewhere like Spurs or Dortmund first, then it’s a smaller step up to us.

Potter's definitely one to watch isn't he? His Brighton side are horrible to play against. (Horrible to watch as well like. All that sideways passing. Zzzzz.)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

His next step ideally would be somewhere at that level IMO.

I’d say that his next step will be significantly under that. 

I quite like Potter, I do think he seems to be a good coach. He needs to cut his teeth at a club challenging for European places before he can be considered of that size role. 

Plus the last English coach Inter had was Hodgepodge. They are probably scarred for life. 

16 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I wouldn’t rule it out entirely, but if he starts getting sacked by Villa-level clubs, a top-tier job is going to be very, very hard to come by.

Getting sacked by mediocrities diminishes you as a manager. You either walk in to an elite club from day one, start small and build a reputation before taking on a club with the means to compete or have a career unlikely to take you to great heights.

Villa is a thankless task - big enough and with sufficient money to think they should be improving year-on-year, but in practice likely to hit their ceiling very quickly. There’s already a few dissenting voices amongst the support regarding Gerrard’s start, even though the fixture list has been unkind.

I’m not sure. Other than the main 3 teams in the league as West Ham an Leicester have shown I think others can knock on the door of top 4 an certainly top 6.

not saying I want gerrard as manager as it rarely ends well appointing an ex legend but if he breaks that top 6 knocking on door of top 4 when Klopp leaves there will be a lot of noise for him to be appointed. 

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

His next step ideally would be somewhere at that level IMO.

Ideally for him, in the same way that Thiago Motta (comparable manager with only a few years of managerial experience in a decent league, and has also achieved nothing of note) ideally probably wouldn't mind taking over at Bayern Munich or Chelsea next.

I'd be surprised if anyone at Inter knows who Graham Potter is. If he was extremely lucky a club like Torino or Sassuolo might take a punt on him, but it seems unlikely.

8 hours ago, Anubis said:

Meanwhile on GOT...

25 mill GTF Villa.

Bad deal.

This 100% a player in his prime best LB in Europe scores goals a sad day

Scores goals

6 in 125 and he takes all the set pieces

Scored 4 in first mostly set pieces, since the 2 goals in a season and a half against Lincoln and QPR

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Why are Villa fans getting all excited about Bissouma? They seem to think they are signing him.

I’ve seen nothing suggesting this.

Wouldn't be shocked if they tried to get him now while other teams are wary with the court date due soon.