You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

There's definitely a case to be made for a squad reshuffle to better meet the homegrown rules. I'm not saying I'd prefer an English player over a non-English/British player (I want players who will improve the team and importantly are durable), but if I recall we've had to name one less player in our 25-man squad lists. We obviously can't do what the artificially inflated clubs do, and we don't have the absolute domestic monopoly of a Bayern that enables us to pad out the squad by pillaging the league for reinforcements and weaken anyone threatening to close the gap, but there has to be some middle ground where we can make hay.

I admire Klopp's loyalty to his players and his intent to wring every last drop of performance out of them (by intent or otherwise is for others to debate), but one of the keys to sustained success is to always be adding and adapting. It's difficult to regain superiority when you start allowing things to tail-off.

I'm not sure I even have a point to all this. 5 or 6 Spiced Rum and Cokes will do that!

Yeah we named a 24 man squad instead of 25. 

Goalkeepers: Alisson, Kelleher*, Adrian, Karius

Defenders: Van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold*, Gomez*, Konate, Matip, Phillips*, Robertson, Tsimikas

Midfielders: Thiago, Henderson*, Fabinho, Keita, Milner*, Oxlade-Chamberlain*

Forwards: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Jota, Minamino, Origi

When you look through the squad out of the HG players how many will be here next year

Kelleher

Trent

Gomez(unless he asks to leave)

Hendo

Milner

Ox

Phillips

Williams

will all be gone. 

Jones and Elliot will probably be given spots. Elliot doesn't need to take a spot as a U21 though. 

Added to that got to be question marks and other deffo gone

Karius

Adrian

Keita

Taking

Origi

Alot of work needed in the summer. 

2 hours ago, m0e said:

Why would anyone want shut of Milner?

If he can play, he should stay.

Because he’s slow as fuck and as a midfielder its not really acceptable that your last goal from open play in the league came back in 2018. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

I can’t say I’m convinced unfortunately based on the limited YouTube ‘scouting’ I’ve done. His technique and passing look nothing special, it doesn’t look like he covers as much ground as say Kante or Hendo. What is it about him that you like @3 Stacks @Arnaud? He’s the same age as Conor Gallagher and if you’re looking to spend >£40m on a midfielder, who would you rather have brought in?

He's big, has workrate. He wins the ball loads. He's decent technically. As a holding player or in a 2 man midfield, there's not much not to like. He'll go to a top side soon enough. Maybe not us, I don't see us as his best option stylistically, though we do have a need in midfield. He's a good player so I'd take him but he wouldn't be my first choice.

We won't sign Gallagher as he's a Chelsea player and he'll probably be quite valuable to them, so there's no real debate to be had. I like Gallagher, it's hard not to, he's not very similar to Tchouameni, though. Not much to compare.

If I could choose two midfielders to sign money or criminal charges irrespective, it would probably be Bissouma and Paqueta for now. I'll probably change my mind along the way before this summer, though. There's tonnes of options to consider for the midfield.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Being injured all the time is the opposite of a great fit. Might as well say Mbappe would be a great fit for us if he’d just accepted £7.50 a week and some scampi Nik Naks or Patrick Bamford would be a great fit for us if he was just good at football.

Great fit in terms of style of play. The injury part is a caveat and why we shouldn't sign him. I just like pointing out players I think fit our tactics and style of football. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Great fit in terms of style of play. The injury part is a caveat and why we shouldn't sign him. I just like pointing out players I think fit our tactics and style of football. 

Even if fit he doesnt score enough goals.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's not really their primary job. Are you new to this football thing?

Look I know you think you are some sort of footballing brain. One of our biggest problems is we dont get enough goals from mf. Another non scoring mf is not the answer but you know that right? You have a lot of growing to do young man.

I find the attitude towards players who get a few injuries a bit retarded if Im honest.

Last season loads on here could not get rid of Matip soon enough because of his injuries, this season he’s been our best player together with Salah.

The short term thinking on display is staggering, especially when we talk about real top class players like Matip and Thiago. 

Personally Id always take 20 performances from a world class player in a Liverpool shirt combined with 20 from a player with not the same quality, instead of 40 games from the inferior player. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Look I know you think you are some sort of footballing brain. One of our biggest problems is we dont get enough goals from mf. Another non scoring mf is not the answer but you know that right? You have a lot of growing to do young man.

Thanks for the life lesson. Will take it to the grave. 

We could probably use more goals in midfield but we also have about 2 or 3 midfielders to replace. Not every midfielder stated in this thread or ones we actually look at will have great goal records.

Luka Modric doesn't score a lot and never really did, suppose you'd never take him. Kante either. Yeah, who would want him.

1 hour ago, Code said:

I find the attitude towards players who get a few injuries a bit retarded if Im honest.

Last season loads on here could not get rid of Matip soon enough because of his injuries, this season he’s been our best player together with Salah.

The short term thinking on display is staggering, especially when we talk about real top class players like Matip and Thiago. 

Personally Id always take 20 performances from a world class player in a Liverpool shirt combined with 20 from a player with not the same quality, instead of 40 games from the inferior player. 

I think the issue is everyone knows Matip is a very good player but he's had a horrendous injury record since he's been here, usually lots of obscure muscle injuries rather than leg breakers. 

He's had an injury free season so far but we all know he can break down and be out for a while. 

It's also an issue when we have owners who thought the resolution to our injury crisis in defence last season was to sign someone on loan from a skint German club and a Championship centre back who was only bought because the owners knew he was almost out of contract and they thought they could make money on him. 

17 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's big, has workrate. He wins the ball loads. He's decent technically. As a holding player or in a 2 man midfield, there's not much not to like. He'll go to a top side soon enough. Maybe not us, I don't see us as his best option stylistically, though we do have a need in midfield. He's a good player so I'd take him but he wouldn't be my first choice.

We won't sign Gallagher as he's a Chelsea player and he'll probably be quite valuable to them, so there's no real debate to be had. I like Gallagher, it's hard not to, he's not very similar to Tchouameni, though. Not much to compare.

If I could choose two midfielders to sign money or criminal charges irrespective, it would probably be Bissouma and Paqueta for now. I'll probably change my mind along the way before this summer, though. There's tonnes of options to consider for the midfield.

Paqueta had a great start , but he’s been poor since. Like he did in Milan. His attitude seems poor too, he had a fight with a teammate for a penalty, taking the ball away from the chosen taker.

about Tchouameni, to be honest, I haven’t seen much, only in Europe and with France. He’s powerful, quick, skillful, mature. He’s not a prospect anymore, he’s been very good for 2 years. It’s not hipsters who say so, it’s every body, including Deschamps who’s a very conservative manager.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Paqueta had a great start , but he’s been poor since. Like he did in Milan. His attitude seems poor too, he had a fight with a teammate for a penalty, taking the ball away from the chosen taker.

about Tchouameni, to be honest, I haven’t seen much, only in Europe and with France. He’s powerful, quick, skillful, mature. He’s not a prospect anymore, he’s been very good for 2 years. It’s not hipsters who say so, it’s every body, including Deschamps who’s a very conservative manager.

Agreed, Tchouameni is a very established player now. He's Monaco captain now, I think. 

With Paqueta, I think Lyon are generally a mess, I'm not concerned about his form. He's been played more as a striker than midfield which is less ideal for him, they aren't getting a lot of good results, his pal Juninho left the club... I still think he's a gem.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

We could probably use more goals in midfield but we also have about 2 or 3 midfielders to replace. Not every midfielder stated in this thread or ones we actually look at will have great goal records.

Luka Modric doesn't score a lot and never really did, suppose you'd never take him. Kante either. Yeah, who would want him.

Good man it will help you along the way. I wouldnt take either of them right now. Modric is a bit long in the tooth but scored quite a few goals in his pomp and would have been an excellent buy, back then and as good as Kante is DM is not a requirement right now. Theres no doubt mf needs a refresh but not all at once . One of our biggest problems right now is a lack of goals and creativity from mf Sanches does not fit the bill

22 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I think the issue is everyone knows Matip is a very good player but he's had a horrendous injury record since he's been here, usually lots of obscure muscle injuries rather than leg breakers. 

He's had an injury free season so far but we all know he can break down and be out for a while. 

It's also an issue when we have owners who thought the resolution to our injury crisis in defence last season was to sign someone on loan from a skint German club and a Championship centre back who was only bought because the owners knew he was almost out of contract and they thought they could make money on him. 

None of that has anything to do with what Code's talking about.

There are very few world class players out there, and if you have the chance to bring them in or keep them, you do.

Van Persie had one injury free season in 10 years and won the mancs the title on the back of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Code said:

The problem with injured players is they stop you making decisions that need to be made. Matip is slightly different as he's clearly the best 4th choice CB in the world if we were working off a scenario of retaining him for 12 games per season. Our midfield is where the issues arise, but for Ox's injury he would either be an established first team starter or sold, the injury and consequential delay in finding out if he's actually good enough are the reason he's at the club. Nearly identical situation for Keita but for the fact he had loads of small injuries.

Thiago is the problem, we have built a squad around the principle of having Ox, Keita, Jones and Milner as backups, perfect scenario if it works out that way but it hasn't as Thiago is never available. If he was retained in the role described for Matip above then everyone's happy but as starter it causes huge issues. We shop around for players that will be ready in 18 months rather than now because we still think we have him. 

Keeping or selling Thiago or Matip isn't retarded, it's a calculated decision. What is retarded is buying a ready made crock like Sanchez and thinking you can build him to be unbreakable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1