You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I haven't told anyone to stop talking about it. I've said it in other replies to you. You are the only one suggesting people shouldn't post. I am allowed however to think a link is a pile of shit. And what is obvious by how many times you've brought it up, is you just have your noise out of joint because I think it's comical someone would think bamford looks anything like a Liverpool player. 

Arnaud and 3 Stacks gave their views on a players they’ve watched play a number of times and rate highly and you dismiss them as hipsters. What’s the point of the below post if not to just stop the discussion on said player?

19 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think this is my point. It's like it becomes a fashion to talk highly of certain players and it's always the same hipsters who do it and they all talk about the same players trying to out do each other with their praise. And nearly all of these players fail to live up to their hype the moment they leave where they are. But then 12 months later, because these fellas can't let go, they'll be linked with everyone again finding some excuse why this delicate soul can't produce where he is and pinpoint about 13 minutes in some game that proves the player is brilliant. It's a shitness of modern football for me. 

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Anyway, can we get back to when quaresma is signing? 

He’s still getting work done for his money at the age of 38 in the Portuguese League.

One goal and one assists so far this season, but I think he might be a bit too old now unfortunatley. 

2D968E78-EE5C-4417-8A96-E4D4F34D23AA.jpeg

21 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Arnaud and 3 Stacks gave their views on a players they’ve watched play a number of times and rate highly and you dismiss them as hipsters. What’s the point of the below post if not to just stop the discussion on said player?

I absolutely have never referred to @Arnaud as a hipster at any point. 

17 minutes ago, Code said:

He’s still getting work done for his money at the age of 38 in the Portuguese League.

One goal and one assists so far this season, but I think he might be a bit too old now unfortunatley. 

2D968E78-EE5C-4417-8A96-E4D4F34D23AA.jpeg

I'm shocked. It feels like there's got to be a player in there. Think of the shirts he'd sell. There's been a lot of people waiting for a long time for this one. He could be our Ronaldo in a moneyball way. 

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Interesting article in The Athletic today about Vhalovic today.

Basically says he’s turning down whatever Fiorentina offer him and that after Haaland and Mbappe, him and Isak will be the most sought after signatures this summer.

Allegedly City are targeting Haaland and if they can’t get him they’ll look at Vhalovic or Isak. We’ve also been linked with these two players. Arsenal also linked with Vhalovic. 

84C256E1-F7F2-4B10-A32A-0F3709062C07.jpeg

I’ve been thinking about this more of the last couple of days. We’re not going to give new contracts to Salah, Mane and Firmino. Personally, I think Jota’s form has condemned Firmino to the exit door and we’ll look to sign somebody else in the summer. 

Personally, as a priority, I’d like another wide player. Jota, Mane and Salah can all play centre forward. Theoretically, they can all play each position across the front line. Whether the new signing be Doku, Raphina, Bowen, Coman, Danjuma, Luiz etc, I’ve no idea. 

If we could sign another centre forward and wide player, that would be splendid, however, I doubt we’ll go big in both departments. 

Similarly, midfield. I’d like 2 top class midfielders. Bellingham is heavily linked and looks good at Dortmund but if were to sign him, I’d like another player of Tielemans or McGinn quality as well. As previously mentioned, there look to be a lot of (on paper / FIFA / FM) free midfielders available in this summer.

With various contracts coming to an end this or next summer, there seems more value in this market. Going big in the summer, assuming they are all successful, could set us up for the next 5 years again. 

Spurs forums seem to think Vhalovic is a Conte top target.

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

As much as I love what he's done for us it was time a year ago. 

As much as people are going to hate it we will end up having to sign some home grown players. Especially with Ox,Gomez futures must be being discussed. 

Agree on Milner.

Gomez is going nowhere unless he throws his toys out the pram over not playing enough. If the last couple of years has taught us something it's that having 4 good CBs  (able to play the same system) is invaluable. Gomez might be 4th choice for us at the moment, but he's still better than most CBs in the league

1 minute ago, lebron said:

Agree on Milner.

Gomez is going nowhere unless he throws his toys out the pram over not playing enough. If the last couple of years has taught us something it's that having 4 good CBs  (able to play the same system) is invaluable. Gomez might be 4th choice for us at the moment, but he's still better than most CBs in the league

I don't think we will look to move him on, but I think he will ask for a move,especially with the world cup next December. 

50 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I don't think we will look to move him on, but I think he will ask for a move,especially with the world cup next December. 

Haven't there already been those sort of stories leaked? I wonder who is agent is? 

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Why would anyone want shut of Milner?

If he can play, he should stay.

Personally I think milner looks done - there's just certain aspects of his game, where he's just looking old now - certainly when players go by him and when he's needing to push quickly in different directions. He clearly can't play weekend and midweek back to back as every time he gets a run of 3 games, he seems to break down. Perhaps if we didn't have such a glass midfield that sometimes we asked that of him it might be different.   

For me come this summer any of milner, Chamberlain, keita and thiago can leave providing adequate replacements without dodgy injury history can replace them. Maybe that changes if the 1st 2 out of the door are keita and Chamberlain and they're both replaced with good, reliable players. I would be looking to start shaping Henderson's playing time to that of milner in recent years. But if we're not in control of which players will be in demand, I think it's important at least 2 of this midfield need to be replaced in the summer. 

There's definitely a case to be made for a squad reshuffle to better meet the homegrown rules. I'm not saying I'd prefer an English player over a non-English/British player (I want players who will improve the team and importantly are durable), but if I recall we've had to name one less player in our 25-man squad lists. We obviously can't do what the artificially inflated clubs do, and we don't have the absolute domestic monopoly of a Bayern that enables us to pad out the squad by pillaging the league for reinforcements and weaken anyone threatening to close the gap, but there has to be some middle ground where we can make hay.

I admire Klopp's loyalty to his players and his intent to wring every last drop of performance out of them (by intent or otherwise is for others to debate), but one of the keys to sustained success is to always be adding and adapting. It's difficult to regain superiority when you start allowing things to tail-off.

I'm not sure I even have a point to all this. 5 or 6 Spiced Rum and Cokes will do that!

• Upvote 2

I can’t say I’m convinced unfortunately based on the limited YouTube ‘scouting’ I’ve done. His technique and passing look nothing special, it doesn’t look like he covers as much ground as say Kante or Hendo. What is it about him that you like @3 Stacks @Arnaud? He’s the same age as Conor Gallagher and if you’re looking to spend >£40m on a midfielder, who would you rather have brought in?

• Downvote 1