You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think this is my point. It's like it becomes a fashion to talk highly of certain players and it's always the same hipsters who do it and they all talk about the same players trying to out do each other with their praise. And nearly all of these players fail to live up to their hype the moment they leave where they are. But then 12 months later, because these fellas can't let go, they'll be linked with everyone again finding some excuse why this delicate soul can't produce where he is and pinpoint about 13 minutes in some game that proves the player is brilliant. It's a shitness of modern football for me. 

I can’t disagree obviously, time will tell, but this lad is already very good. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe he will turn out good. A broken clock is right twice a day, so I guess these hipsters will get one right at some point. 

Hey, if evaluators of players were as good as Barry Wom, there'd be no flops, am I right? Just watch the games, this guy's good, this guy stinks. Easy. 

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe he will turn out good. A broken clock is right twice a day, so I guess these hipsters will get one right at some point. 

Isn't that the case with every single player out there that people rate? Every single transfer before it happens may or may not work. You were probably saying the same thing about Salah and Mane before we signed them (I know I was) but what else do you expect? a player looks good at another club before Liverpool decide to sign them, people want those players signed and then it works out or it doesn't.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hey, if evaluators of players were as good as Barry Wom, there'd be no flops, am I right? Just watch the games, this guy's good, this guy stinks. Easy. 

Watching players is a much easier way to judge players than not watching them and forming an opinion off stats and the looking out for them to re-enforce that bias. 

9 minutes ago, Salou said:

Isn't that the case with every single player out there that people rate? Every single transfer before it happens may or may not work. You were probably saying the same thing about Salah and Mane before we signed them (I know I was) but what else do you expect? a player looks good at another club before Liverpool decide to sign them, people want those players signed and then it works out or it doesn't.

Nah, that's not what I mean. I don't just mean the players linked to us. This tuochemeni kid, I've been waiting for him to be linked to us, he's been a hipsters choice for ages and they all get linked to us in the end. It just becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. Hipsters say he's good. People who follow hipsters make YouTube clip. Lazy twatter tits then find a way to link to big clubs, hipsters tell everyone they've always thought they were marvelous, backed up by mini hipsters like on forums and twitter. Player gets his 50m move and then is shite. 

Edit... And I don't think mane or Salah were hipster shouts at all, even when they were playing in baby leagues like Switzerland and austria. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Nah, that's not what I mean. I don't just mean the players linked to us. This tuochemeni kid, I've been waiting for him to be linked to us, he's been a hipsters choice for ages and they all get linked to us in the end. It just becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. Hipsters say he's good. People who follow hipsters make YouTube clip. Lazy twatter tits then find a way to link to big clubs, hipsters tell everyone they've always thought they were marvelous, backed up by mini hipsters like on forums and twitter. Player gets his 50m move and then is shite. 

Tchouameni is linked to pretty much every club because he's actually good. That's how players get linked to clubs seriously, they play well and someone at those clubs rate them. It has nothing to do with "hipsters". Those are just secondary actors who have an opinion on certain players on the internet. Just avoid them if it bothers you, they have nothing to do with anything.

Sounds like you should take your own advice and watch him play to see what the fuss is about.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think this is my point. It's like it becomes a fashion to talk highly of certain players and it's always the same hipsters who do it and they all talk about the same players trying to out do each other with their praise. And nearly all of these players fail to live up to their hype the moment they leave where they are. But then 12 months later, because these fellas can't let go, they'll be linked with everyone again finding some excuse why this delicate soul can't produce where he is and pinpoint about 13 minutes in some game that proves the player is brilliant. It's a shitness of modern football for me. 

There's definitely truth in what you say. However, De Bruyne and Salah were also hipster players, and I'm sure you would've been angry with us signing either directly from Chelsea when they left. They were labelled flops, but the reality is, they were never given the chance. 

It's just far harder to make it at Chelsea because they don't give their players any time. You've got to be boss immediately, or they get rid of you for a shiny new toy. There's value to be had with that because sometimes they throw away gems. Doesn't help us like because they won't sell to us, but I can understand why clubs are always lining up for their castoffs and not ours. We usually won't sell a player unless they've shown themselves - over a long period of time - to be not good enough. 

47 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Edit... And I don't think mane or Salah were hipster shouts at all, even when they were playing in baby leagues like Switzerland and austria. 

You moaned when people were suggesting that we signed  underrated and unheralded players like Bamford and Kalvin Phillips, and now you’re moaning about this supposed ‘hipster choice’. Could you give me the parameters with regards to the players you want people to discuss about potentially signing? 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, aRdja said:

You moaned when people were suggesting that we signed  underrated and unheralded players like Bamford and Kalvin Phillips, and now you’re moaning about this supposed ‘hipster choice’. Could you give me the parameters with regards to the players you want people to discuss about potentially signing? 

Mate, I find it funny you rate players like bamford. In fact not just rate, you're almost religious about. I completely disagree with you about him as I think he's a championship player, but I realise we see football differently and that's ok - but bamford will make me laugh, because I think he's proper crap. However, these hipster players are the polar opposite to that. All the hipsters think they're unique, but they're actually the same as all the other hipsters, picking players 1st off stats, then finding ways to justify who they've been promoting and they all preach about the same kids. 20 years ago before stats, the hipsters choice was always the lads who did well at some junior level world cup, euros or copa. Then they all got stats bomb on the internet and that was easier than watching football. Nobody discusses U18 world cup or whatever now because it's not cool enough for the hipsters and the rest of us have enough proper football to watch. 

The truth is, picking players is really hard.  Even when doing it in the same league. And there are very few really top players who just come in at the level. But to listen to the hipsters there are always simultaneously about 20 of them at any one time, then when they're available, they all wet their pants with this once in a generation type stuff. It's nonsense. It is actually why klopp is such a great manager. Loads of players who make it to the point of joining a club like Liverpool have some talent. He is one who can still make them gain 10 or 20% because that's what is required to succeed here or add 30% and become world class. He hasn't just done it here, he's done it all his managerial career. It's another reason I don't buy into this "how would we improve on what we have" as an excuse for not buying players. Simple, get one of these half decent players and give them to klopp. He can't do it with them all as we've seen with Shaq, minamino and keita, but his success rate is phenomenal with players out stripping what people expected of them. I've seen enough of havertz to believe his ceiling is high and if klopp got his hands on him he'd make him a better footballer than he's been up to now - where if we're honest, he's not been anywhere near the level you would expect for his fee and the hipster hype. 

I think it takes tons of games viewed in the flesh to pick a player. Stats might help along the way, as might video. But for me those things are great for ruling players out. You can see enough flaws or little enough of genius to realise there's too big a project or their ceiling isn't high emough. Nothing replaces watching a player in the flesh. It's why I rarely say who I think we should sign. I'll often say who I don't rate, because I watch just about enough football to not rate loads of players. Only with Liverpool do I watch enough to know who I do really rate, aside from one or two obvious players kicking around the league who've done it at a sustained level for a long period. 100% I didn't think de bruyne was world class either when he joined or left Chelsea, because I simply hadn't seen him play enough and I would imagine I'd never seem him play in the flesh (and if I had I didn't remember him).  

The bottom line here is tuochemeni is just the latest in a long line in players who get hyped to the point they get linked with us, regardless of if we're interested or not or how much talent they have. They have enough hype about them that makes them perfect click bait, so they get linked with all the big teams. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Mate, I find it funny you rate players like bamford. In fact not just rate, you're almost religious about. I completely disagree with you about him as I think he's a championship player, but I realise we see football differently and that's ok - but bamford will make me laugh, because I think he's proper crap. However, these hipster players are the polar opposite to that. All the hipsters think they're unique, but they're actually the same as all the other hipsters, picking players 1st off stats, then finding ways to justify who they've been promoting and they all preach about the same kids. 20 years ago before stats, the hipsters choice was always the lads who did well at some junior level world cup, euros or copa. Then they all got stats bomb on the internet and that was easier than watching football. Nobody discusses U18 world cup or whatever now because it's not cool enough for the hipsters and the rest of us have enough proper football to watch. 

The truth is, picking players is really hard.  Even when doing it in the same league. And there are very few really top players who just come in at the level. But to listen to the hipsters there are always simultaneously about 20 of them at any one time, then when they're available, they all wet their pants with this once in a generation type stuff. It's nonsense. It is actually why klopp is such a great manager. Loads of players who make it to the point of joining a club like Liverpool have some talent. He is one who can still make them gain 10 or 20% because that's what is required to succeed here or add 30% and become world class. He hasn't just done it here, he's done it all his managerial career. It's another reason I don't buy into this "how would we improve on what we have" as an excuse for not buying players. Simple, get one of these half decent players and give them to klopp. He can't do it with them all as we've seen with Shaq, minamino and keita, but his success rate is phenomenal with players out stripping what people expected of them. I've seen enough of havertz to believe his ceiling is high and if klopp got his hands on him he'd make him a better footballer than he's been up to now - where if we're honest, he's not been anywhere near the level you would expect for his fee and the hipster hype. 

I think it takes tons of games viewed in the flesh to pick a player. Stats might help along the way, as might video. But for me those things are great for ruling players out. You can see enough flaws or little enough of genius to realise there's too big a project or their ceiling isn't high emough. Nothing replaces watching a player in the flesh. It's why I rarely say who I think we should sign. I'll often say who I don't rate, because I watch just about enough football to not rate loads of players. Only with Liverpool do I watch enough to know who I do really rate, aside from one or two obvious players kicking around the league who've done it at a sustained level for a long period. 100% I didn't think de bruyne was world class either when he joined or left Chelsea, because I simply hadn't seen him play enough and I would imagine I'd never seem him play in the flesh (and if I had I didn't remember him).  

The bottom line here is tuochemeni is just the latest in a long line in players who get hyped to the point they get linked with us, regardless of if we're interested or not or how much talent they have. They have enough hype about them that makes them perfect click bait, so they get linked with all the big teams. 

It’s a transfer thread i.e. a thread to discuss players linked with us or players you want us to sign. You won’t see people talking about current Liverpool players, because there are other threads for that. Finding it odd that you seem hyper specific about the type of players we should be discussing. Could you give us examples of your ideal players to be discussed on this thread? I’d happily take three names for future reference.

3 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Not much to discuss about Bamford really because he’s shite, just hit a little purple patch last season, I know a couple Leeds fans and they don’t rate him at all.

Means very little IMO. My wife’s uncle is a match going Leeds fan, who travels from Exeter, and he, like Jurgen Klopp, is a big fan. Just watch him and make up your on mind. 

On 05/01/2022 at 17:48, Boss said:

Coutinho is far too good for Villa or Everton. He's the third most expensive player of all time. He was excellent for Bayern the year they won the Champions League - scoring important goals on their way to the final. The only reason Bayern didn't sign him was because the option was 120 million. They paid 8.5m just to loan him. He was also the best player in the Copa America tournament in 2019. His decline has been way overstated. Barcelona are a shambles. Messi himself couldn't stop them from sliding into obscurity. 

1) He wasn't a regular starter for Bayern, let alone "excellent"

Started: 15, Substituted in: 8, Off the bench: 7, Injured: 8

He also started just 4 of the 13 CL games, all in the group phase.

2) Barcelona became a shambles when Messi left. They finished 3rd last season, just 7 points off top. They won the league twice and the cup twice, with a CL semi final, while Coutinho was flopping there.

3) He's been on a clear decline since he left us:

Screenshot_20220107-200905_BBC News.jpg

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Means very little IMO. My wife’s uncle is a match going Leeds fan, who travels from Exeter, and he, like Jurgen Klopp, is a big fan. Just watch him and make up your on mind. 

I have and I think he’s bang average, there’s plenty of players out there better than him.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Dynamite - what up?

He's comfortably the best attacking talent, and closest to first-team football, we have in our youth setup at the moment.

The problem he's had is that his season has been very stop/start. Only made 13 appearances in all competitions so far this campaign - Transfermarkt Stats.

He's missed a number of games due to small injuries, and there have been times when he's been fit for selection for the youth sides, he's been called into the first-team squad, but not made the appearances, and is subsequently not then selected for the youth sides.

However, in the games that he has played for the youth teams so far this season, he's the main threat in every game.

He needs minutes at senior level to judge exactly where he is right now, as he's certainly too good for the 18s and is quite some distance ahead of his attacking teammates in the 23s.

I'd definitely be giving him a start against Shrewsbury on Sunday, if he's fit and available...

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

1) He wasn't a regular starter for Bayern, let alone "excellent"

Started: 15, Substituted in: 8, Off the bench: 7, Injured: 8

He also started just 4 of the 13 CL games, all in the group phase.

2) Barcelona became a shambles when Messi left. They finished 3rd last season, just 7 points off top. They won the league twice and the cup twice, with a CL semi final, while Coutinho was flopping there.

3) He's been on a clear decline since he left us:

Screenshot_20220107-200905_BBC News.jpg

2 goals 1 assist

3 goals 2 assists

Coutinho 2 goals

A goal or assist every 101 minutes of action, on the way to a Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB Pokal treble. I'd say he did pretty well.